Downtown Davis and outlying areas will be abuzz with activity Friday evening as a record number of Davis galleries and businesses host receptions as part of the monthly Second Friday ArtAbout. All events are free and open to the public. Many include refreshments, live music and art demonstrations.
For more information, visit http://www.davisdowntown.com or email email@example.com.
* Alphabet Moon Toys & Treasures, 605 Second St., (530) 757-2142. Reception, 6:30-9 p.m. Caron Dunn, child-friendly watercolor and mixed media, through June 6. Hours: Mondays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Fridays, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturdays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sundays, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Armadillo Music, 205 F St., (530) 758-8058. Reception, 6-9 p.m. Dan Quillan, etchings, through June 8. Plus live music by Music Matt, 6-7 p.m. Hours: Mondays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sundays, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
* The Artery, 207 G St., (530) 758-8330. Viewing, 5-9 p.m. 22nd annual California Clay Competition Exhibit, works from 39 artists chosen by juror Nancy Servis, through May 27. Hours: Mondays-Thursdays and Saturdays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Fridays, 10 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Avid Reader, 617 Second St., (530) 758-4040. Reception, 5:30-7 p.m. “Trout Fishing in America with Mike Rowden,” oil paintings inspired by Richard Brautigan’s poetry, through June 6. Hours: Mondays-Sundays, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
* A Better Place to Bead, 132 E St., Suite 150 (in Mansion Square), (530) 759-8038. Reception, 6-9 p.m. Tracy Lewis, watercolor/oil, through May 28. Hours: Mondays-Saturdays 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Ciocolat, 301 B St., (530) 753-3088. Reception, 5-9 p.m. “Bliss Blossoms,” Roma Devanbu, small works on paper, through July 6. Plus book-signing of “Bliss Blossoms, Artists Coloring Book” by Devanbu. Free copies of one image will be available to take home or color at the reception. Hours: Mondays-Sundays, 7 a.m.-10 p.m.
* Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, (530) 753-2164. Reception, 5-7 p.m. “Woodland Creatures & Landscapes Whimsical & Serious,” watercolors, Nancy LaBerge Muren, through June 30. Hours: Mondays-Fridays, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturdays, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sundays, 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
* Davis Art Center, 1919 F St., (530) 756-4100. Reception, 7-9 p.m. “ACGA at DAC,” ceramics by seven artists involved with the Association of Clay and Glass Artists of California, through May 24. Hours: Mondays-Thursdays, 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Fridays, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, 760 Fifth St., (530) 758-3374. Reception, 7-9 p.m. Children’s art plus Skinner Howard Gallery featuring mixed media and metal art by Susan Riegel, Chris Botta, Linda Raynsford, Jennifer Mercede and John Yoyogi Forte, through May 31. Plus live music by Twilight Willow and a children’s art space.
* Davis Food Co-op, 620 G St. (in Conference Room), (530) 758-2667. Reception, 6-8 p.m. “Functional Pottery for Table & Home,” Jill Van Zanten. Plus Zinfandel wine tasting sponsored by the Co-op. One night only.
* Davis Musical Theatre Company, 607 Peña Drive, (530) 756-3682. Reception, 5:30-7:30 p.m. “It’s an Abstract World,” acrylic on canvas, James W. Cameron, through May 15 (open for viewing one hour before each DMTC show). Plus wine tasting by Jess Jones Winery (Dixon) at reception. Show, “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying” starts at 8:15 p.m. Hours: see http://www.dmtc.org.
* Delta of Venus, 122 B Street, (530) 753-8639. Reception, 6-9 p.m. “Reconstructed,” mixed media, Laura Kelly and Clara McClenon, through June 3. Plus DJ Mr. Glass spinning soul and bass. DJ Glass will be performing. Plus book reception with local author Kenya Williams at 8 pm. Hours: Mondays-Sundays, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m.
* French Cuff Consignment, 130 G St., (530) 756-3724. Reception, 5-9 p.m. “Renaissance Realism in a Contemporary Context,” oil paintings and limited-edition fine art prints, Brooke Walker-Knoblich, through June 6. Hours: Mondays-Sundays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Haute Again Consignment + The Garret, 129 E St., Suite B-1-4, (530) 753-7008. Reception, 5-8:30 pm. Alluvial Ceramic Jewelry, Lauren Brandy + ceramics by Nina Gatewood, through May 31. Hours: Tuesdays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
* International House, 10 College Park, (530) 753-5007. Reception, 6-8 p.m. “Growth with Her,” acrylic & oils, Priscilla Daniels + “Twenty Years to the Day,” acrylics, oils & charcoal by Jesus Barela, through June 7. Hours: Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Lily’s Boutique, 218 E St. (in E Street Plaza), (530) 792-1308. Reception, 4-8 p.m. Mahin Vadi, floral paintings, through June 1. Hours: Mondays-Saturdays, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sundays, noon-5 p.m.
* Logos Books, 513 Second St., (530) 400-1083. Reception, 6-8:30 p.m. “Michael Rosner/ Bodypainter,” paintings on unconventional surfaces, through June 30. Hours: Tuesdays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
* Lyon Real Estate, 401 Second St., (530) 758-0720. Reception, 6-8 p.m. “Hot Wax/ Cool Art,” encaustic paintings, Suzanne Bell, through June 1. Hours: Mondays-Fridays, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sundays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
* John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., (530) 756-3938. Viewing, 6-9 p.m. “30 Ceramic Sculptors,” through May 28. Hours: Wednesdays, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Thursdays, 11 a.m.-9 p.m.; Fridays, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturdays-Sundays, noon-5 p.m.
* Richard L. Nelson Gallery (UC Davis campus), Old Davis Road at A Street, (530) 752-8500. Reception, 5-8 p.m. “Across the Great Divide: A Photo Chronicle of the Counterculture,” photos, Roberta Price; “Least Favorite: Josh Greene,” text-based art and critiques of Greene’s art; “Selections from the Fine Art Collection,” works by Warhol, Butterfield, Whistler, Conner and more. All exhibits run through May 22. Hours: Saturdays-Thursdays, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Fridays by appointment.
* nestware, 207 F St., (530) 757-6400. Reception, 6-9 p.m. “Friends of nestware: A Multi Media Collective,” through June 3. Hours: Mondays-Wednesdays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Thursdays-Fridays, 10 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturdays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sundays, noon-5 p.m.
* Nina’s Studio, 241 F St., (530) 758-9221. Reception, 6-8 pm. Johnnie Reynolds, photography, through July 1. Hours: Mondays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., appointments preferred.
* The Paint Chip, 217 F St., (530) 753-5093. Reception, 6-8:30 p.m. David Nasater, photography, through May 20. Hours: Mondays-Saturdays, 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sundays, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Pence Gallery, 212 D St., (530) 758-3370. Reception, 6-9 p.m. “Transcendent,” ceramic vessels, sculpture and installation, David Kuraoka, Michelle Gregor and Don Reitz, through June 12; “Boots, Bags and Bikinis: Sculpture by Melissa Woodburn, Antonia Lawson and Carol Durham,” through June 3; Ellen Hansen Memorial Exhibit, through May 27. Hours: Tuesdays-Sundays, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Pomegranate Salon, 123 D St., (530) 753-3559. Reception, 6-8 p.m. Kris Bell, pencil portraits of Pomegranate stylists, Morgan Herbert-King, Aleksander Bohnak and Jeremy Raff, photography, through May 30. Plus live guitar and vocals by David Hafter, and wine tasting with Barryessa Gap. Proceeds from wine tasting goes to Davis Farm to School. Hours: Mondays-Fridays, 8:30 a.m.-8 p.m.
* Riki Design, 202 E St., (530) 756-8048. Reception, 6:30-9 p.m. Kristin Little, wedding photography, through May 31. Plus Verrieres and Sako Trunk Show, wedding and designer dresses. Hours: Mondays-Sundays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Risto Hair International, 325 G St., (530) 759-7098. Reception, 6:30-8:30 p.m. “2nd Street Frieghts,” photography, Lorenzo Kristov, through May 31. Hours: Mondays-Saturdays, 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
* Rominger West Winery, 4602 Second St., Suite 4 (near Mace Boulevard at Interstate 80), (530) 747-2044. Reception, 5:30-8 p.m. Kenny Calhoun, photography, through June 2. Reception coincides with YoloArts’ fundraising gala, “Artistic Sensations 2011: Opening Doors to Art Education.” Tickets and info at yoloarts.org. Hours: Mondays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Offices of Yolo County Supervisor Don Saylor, 600 A St., Suite B, (530) 666-8238. Reception, 4-6 p.m. Emma Luna, mixed media, through June 10. Plus acoustic guitar and vocals by Kristine Hager and Jeremy Reinhard. Hours: Mondays-Fridays, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Thai Recipes, 132 E St., Suite 190 (in Mansion Square), (530) 759-2099. Reception, 6-7:30 p.m. “Tropical Fruits & Flowers,” watercolors, Marieke de Waard, through June 1. Plus Thai appetizer samples at reception. Hours: Mondays- Saturdays, 11:30 a.m-2 p.m. and 5:30-9 p.m. Sundays, 5:30-9 p.m. only.
* The Wardrobe, 206 E St., (530) 756-1128. Reception, 4-9 p.m. “Exotic Jewels,” jewelry Rachel Eva Jachimowicz. Plus Sound of Fashion DJ. One night only.
* Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., (530) 758-0544. Reception, 3-8 p.m. Mammadou, mixed media. Plus live music. One night only.
* Pamela Trokanski Dance Workshop presents “Takin’ it to the Streets,” a flash-mob style dance tour, jointly funded by 2011 city of Davis art contracts. Dances are weather permitting and will be presented at about 6:30 p.m. on the E Street Plaza in the 200 block of E Street; 7 p.m. at Mansion Square, 132 E St.; and 7:30 p.m. at Davis Commons, 500 First St.