Holiday music will lend a particularly festive air to the monthly Second Friday ArtAbout on Friday, an evening of art viewing and artists’ receptions at galleries and businesses in downtown Davis and beyond.
All events are free and open to the public. Many include complimentary refreshments and opportunities to chat with featured artists. For more information, visit www.davisdowntown.com or e-mail [email protected].
Guests should look for What Four, a Davis a cappella quartet, strolling and singing holiday music throughout downtown. In addition, members of the Pamela Trokanski Dance Theatre and assorted community members will share their talents in public spaces.
Live music and/or art demonstrations are planned at Armadillo Music, Cloud Forest Café, Cobalt Salon & Gallery, Monticello Cuisine, John Natsoulas Gallery, Riki Design and the Yolo SPCA Thrift Store.
Art receptions and viewings:
* Armadillo Music, 205 F St., (530) 758-8058; reception, 6-9 p.m. “Small Works on Paper,” Joanna Kidd, Jennifer Ishimatsu, Kelly Kinoshita, Shunsuke Ando, Olgica Glavašević, Chris Kidd, Danni Downing, Rocio Parra Parra: prints, drawings and photographs, through Jan. 11. Live music at reception. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
* The Artery, 207 G St., (530) 758-8330; reception, 7-9 p.m. “Annual All Member Holiday Show,” group show, through Dec. 31. Hours: Monday -Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.; Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* The Avid Reader, 617 Second St., (530) 758-4040; reception, 5-7:30 p.m. Anne Blue, charcoal and acrylic, through Jan. 11. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
* Burgers and Brew & Crepeville, 403 Third St. and 330 Third St. (Third and C streets), (530) 750-3600 and 750-2400; joint receptions, 6-8 p.m.. “Unbeaten Paths,” Kevin Schelp, landscape photography; Ramona Kaye Beckwith, acrylic mixed-media collage; Judith Perry, pastels, through Jan. 30. Hours: Burgers and Brew: Sunday-Wednesday, 11 a.m.–midnight, Thursday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-3 a.m.; Crepeville: Monday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m.
* ciocolat, 301 B St., (530) 753-3088; reception, 6-8 p.m. La Ville Logan, pastel and watercolor, through Dec. 31. Hours; Sunday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m.; Friday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-11 p.m.
* Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, (530) 753-2164; reception, 5-7 p.m. “Espressoism – The Art of Matthew Harral,” Matthew Harral, coffee on paper and pen and ink, through Jan. 2. Live acoustic music and art demonstration at reception. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Cobalt Salon & Gallery, 132 E St., Suite 350 (Mansion Square), (916) 806-3141; reception, 5-8 p.m. Bill Lorenz (watercolors), Mario Mayner (photography), John Cronin (watercolors), and David O’Connor (body jewelry) — group show from artists at Sacramento Tattoo and Piercing, through Feb. 28. Reception — refreshments and horn caroling. Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. for the gallery, and other times by appointment.
* Davis Art Center, 1919 F St., (530) 756-4100; reception 5-7 p.m., “Street Smarts Elementary School Traffic Safety Poster Contest,” Street Smarts awards ceremony and art opening, drawings and paintings by elementary school children, through Dec. 19. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Friday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, 760 Fifth St., (530) 758-3374; reception, 6-9 p.m. Rotating art show from Team Davis students, group show, through Dec. 31, kids welcome to create art at reception. Music at reception. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Delta of Venus, 122 B St., (530) 753-8639; reception, 6:30-8:30 p.m. “Temples, Fairies, and Mist,” Annabel Barst, clay sculpture; and Rakhal Turcotte, photography, through Dec. 15. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m.
* French Cuff Consignment, 130 G St., (530) 756-3724; reception, 5-9 p.m. Susan Whitley Brady, mixed media, through Jan. 10. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Haute Again Consignment, 129 E St., Suite B-1, (530) 753-7008; reception upstairs at The Garret, 6-8 p.m., “Drawings,” Stacey Vetter, ink on paper, through Jan. 6. Hours: Monday 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Tuesday-Saturday 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m., Sunday noon- 4 p.m.
* International House, 10 College Park, (530) 753-5007; reception, 6-8 p.m. “This and That – paintings by David Lobenberg,” David Lobenberg, watercolor and acrylic painting, through Jan. 10. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Lily’s Boutique, 218 E St. (in E Street Plaza), (530) 792-1308; reception, 5-7 p.m. Deborah Hill, pastels, through Jan. 10. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Lyon Real Estate, 401 Second St., (530) 758-0720; reception, 6-8 p.m. Suzanne Bell, encaustic painting, through Dec. 31. Live demonstration (beeswax, tree resin, colored pigments applied hot with paint brush). Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Monticello Cuisine, 630 G St., (530) 792-8066; viewing, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Miles Bower, stylized digital photos and Giclee prints on canvas, on permanent display. Live music at reception: Bob Wren performing on octave mandolin and violin. Artist will not be present. Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m.; Tuesday-Saturday 5:30 p.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., (530) 756-3938; reception, 7-9 p.m. Don and Marilyn McCorkell, mixed media (photography, ink, paint, wax), Simon Dvorak, oil and charcoal drawings, and George Tchobanoglous, mixed media, through Dec. 31. Live band at reception. Hours: Wednesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Nelson Gallery, Nelson Hall UC Davis (former University Club), 752-8500; reception, 5-8 p.m. “Birds: A Kinetic Installation,” Chico MacMurtie, computer-driven kinetic sculpture. Also showing selection from the “Fine Art Collection,” featuring more than 20 artists. Show through Dec. 11.
* The Paint Chip, 217 F St., (530) 753-5093; reception, 6-8:30 p.m. Michael Zwick, South American-inspired acrylics, through Dec. 23. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Pence Gallery, 212 D St., (530) 758-3370; reception, 6-9 p.m. “Mel Smothers/Postcards,” Mel Smothers, oil paintings, through Jan. 2; “Holiday Market,” group arts and crafts exhibit through Dec. 23; Pete Scully, sketch artist, through Dec. 30. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30 a.m-5 p.m.
* Ray Johnston Photography Studio, 803 Second St., Suite 302 (Chen Building), (530) 756-0499; reception, 6-9 p.m. “Playground Colors,” acrylics and water media, Dori Marshall; photography by four artists: “FarmVille — Yolo Style,” Charles McDonald; “Images of a Pottery,” Mark Castellucci; “Sierra Nevada Fall,” Jason Branz; “Soul Food,” Gwladys LeGuen. At reception enjoy DJ Lounge Beat, visual jockey projections, VJ Buena Vista and refreshments. Art on display at reception one night only (Dec. 9). Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Riki Design, 202 E St., (530) 756-8048; reception, 6-8:30 p.m. “Inspired by Japan,” Marieke De Waard, mixed media, through Jan. 2. Live music and special store promotion at reception. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
* Risto Hair International, 325 G St., (530) 759-7098; reception, 7-8:30 p.m. Cherie Blackwell, fusion of photography, lithography, relief print and monotype rendered on paper and textiles, through Jan. 2. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
* Rominger West Winery, 4602 Second St., Suite 4 (near Mace Boulevard at Interstate 80), (530) 747-2044; reception, 5:30-7:30 p.m. “Works by Anne Scallon,” Anne Scallon, abstract landscapes and figures, through Jan. 5. Plus, live music by Mike Justis at reception.
* The Wardrobe, 206 E St., (530) 756-1128; reception, 7-9 p.m. “Bejeweled. Be joyful,” Maria Munich, jewelry and scarves, through Dec. 15. Reception will feature local designer Marcia Munich. Hours: Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Sunday, noon-5 p.m.
* Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., (530) 758-0544; reception, 1-7 p.m. Mamadu, Katie Walton, Jennica, mixed media. Live music and store discounts at reception. One night only. Hours: Monday-Thursday & Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Friday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.