This winter UC Davis is hosting an architectural design competition for the new Jan Shrem and Maria Manetti Shrem Museum of Art. Using the design-build process, innovatively applied to construction of an art museum, the competition will result in three in fully resolved building designs.
As our architects are working on their designs, you are invited to participate in this exciting process by contributing your vision, ideas and designs for our new museum as part of the open call exhibition Design + Build, hosted at the Nelson Gallery from Feb. 8 to March 17.
There are many ways for students, faculty and the public to contribute:
* Submit visual ideas and designs for the museum as a whole, for specific galleries or spaces within the museum and its grounds. Photography, renderings, drawings, 3-D — all visual expressions are all welcome as long as they are delivered to the Nelson Gallery on Friday, Feb. 1, no later than 4 p.m. and conform to the project specifications at this link: nelsongallery.ucdavis.edu/designbuild.php
* Send us your text-based contributions at any time before the Feb. 1, 4 p.m. deadline to this address: [email protected] We will display your poetry, essays, or simply the words you think best describe what our museum needs to be.
* Propose a performance for the opening. Please submit your proposals to [email protected] no later than Feb. 1, 4 p.m. We will evaluate feasibility as performance proposals are received and immediately respond to applicants.
* Casual participation is encouraged at the Nelson Gallery where building blocks, site analysis and construction advice will be available throughout the run of the exhibition.
* Join us at the opening on Friday, Feb. 8, for an evening of building! A panel of experts from the UCD community will discuss the opportunities and issues of our museum site.
A $500 prize will be awarded to the entry that best represents the future and history of art at UCD.