The National Guild of Piano Teachers awarded certificates to 150 piano students, ages 5 to 20, from 13 piano studios in Davis, during a live audition at Music Stream Center. Nine local pianists received top honors.
The Piano Guild, a nonprofit organization founded in 1929 by Irl Allison, is a division of the American College of Musicians. The primary function of the Piano Guild is to establish definite goals and awards for piano students of all levels and grades.
All piano students have a yearly opportunity to attain these goals through noncompetitive adjudication in the annual National Piano Playing Auditions.
Auditions are private — student and judge only — with well-qualified musicians serving as judges. Students are judged on individual merit in the areas of accuracy, continuity, phrasing, pedaling, dynamics, rhythm, tempo, tone, interpretation, style and technique.
Since its first audition — which drew 46 entrants — student-teacher membership has grown to more than 118,500 people internationally.
The Davis Center of the Piano Guild was established in May 1990. Chairwoman Huei-Ping Chen Lin points out that the students play only against a standard of excellence in the audition, not against each other. The auditions afford an annual “musical check-up” under an outside adjudicator, acknowledge progress and encourage pupils to continue their piano studies.
After this year’s auditions, a lot of the new students reported that this was a great experience, Lin said, in the preparation process of reaching their goals. The report cards were especially helpful and encouraging.
This year’s adjudicator was Paula E. Kushnick from Santa Maria. All students received an “Excellent” or “Superior” rating. Many students even awarded a “Superior Plus.”
Ariel Chien, Hannah Hertz, Zachary Heatz, Jang-Shing Lin, Jezreel Real, Suleikha Sutter were awarded the High School Music diplomas in Social Music, National Winner certificates and gold pins for performing 10 required pieces from memory.
Victor Choi, Kenna Guy and Eugenea Raychaudhuri were awarded the High School diplomas and International Winner certificates and gold pins for an outstanding performance of 15 pieces from memory. They all received a “Superior Plus” rating.
Guy is the recipient of Pederewski Medal, awarded to individuals who have been a national winner for 10 years with a Superior rating.
Other piano students — listed by teacher — who earned certificates are:
* Melanie Bietz: Kaelen Arreola-Bittner, Chloe Barr, Ryan Barr, Erin Cheng, Evelyn Cheng, Nicholas Cheng, Alexander Di, Claire Hays, Max Hays, Quinn Kavrell, Jonathan Lovely, Andrew Roessler, Jishnu Sen, Eric Smith, Emi Sorensen, Maia Sorensen, Adeline Umphress, David Zhang;
* Nga-Man Cho: Tselmen Anuurad, Piper Brandy, Maya Brandy, Justine Canio, Esther Chan, William Donald, Atticus Driver, Mika Hinton, Alejandro Johnson, Carisa Lee, Teresa Lee, Anna Lovely, Andrew Vallero;
* Ning Ning Chen: Melody Huang, John Long;
* Laura Harrington: Amaiya Armstrong, Chloe Bu, Aron Bulman, Carl Csaposs, Nora Glick, Jacob Hertz, Nancy Jiang, Shruthi Karthik, Gabrielle Katz, Jagger Katz, Julia Millstein, Maya Moeller, Pearline Qin, Davis Robinson, Lukas Smith, Faith Vu;
* Sasha Kachugina: Matthew Fish;
* Angelina Lim: Layla Kabuli (2 certificates), Rayna Kibrya, Dustin Pu, Jessica Yang;
* Donna Lin: Elisa Duan, Leo He, Sidney Hong, Johnny Jiang, Isabelle Lee, Kathy Li, Katie Tu, Xiuyu Wendy Tu, Haoyun Xu, Emma Zhao, Joseph Zhou;
* Huei-Ping Chen Lin: Safa Bakhshi, Mahan Carduny, Emma Chang, Andrew Chien, Ariel Chien, Victor Choi, Jeremy Chou, Elise Chu, Benjamin Flin, Kenna Guy (2 certificates), Hannah Hertz, Zachary Hertz, Lyna Jiang, Makena Leacox, Kyla Leacox, Phoebe Lee, Priscilla Lee, Jang-Shing Lin, Kevin Pan, Adrian Pu, Kohlin Sekizawa, Taiga Sekizawa, Jayden Xu, Jessica Yeung, Justin Yeung, Davis Yo, Anthony Zhao, Sherry Zheng, Yuanqi Ivy Zhou;
* Sayuri Mulase: Lila Boutin, Tess Boutin, Audrey Chen, Zachary Chen, Riko Fujishima, Bethany Han, Kelly Han, Madoka Ito, Mayu Ito, Joely Kam, Karis Lin, Adrian Mondala, Kathryn Myler, Paul Ngo, Paulina Ngo, Jezreel Real, David Seo, Suleikha Sutter, Lexus Tinoco;
* Molly Petrik: Abby Chan, Tiffany Chan, Siddharth Chilamkur, Vamsi Chilamkur, William Dunne, Krish Kulkarni, Sean Laymen, Colin Lee, Aanya Munagala, Meghan Munagala, Charlie Pollock, Allison Qi, Sunny Shin, Karthik Sivamkur, Angelica Tujo, Jared Umphress, Peter Zhu;
* Diana Privara: Janine Tsai, Kenneth Wang, May Wang;
* Marilyn Swan: Eugenea Raychaudhuri; and
* Jay Jay Whaley: Jared Canio, Jayden Canio, Alissa Casillas, Jasmine Casillas, Jasper Eerkens, Alicia Joo, Jason Joo, Scott Korinke, Aakash Mishra, Apurva Mishra, Liam O’Neill, Mehul Paparaju, Arvind Ramakrishnan.
For more information about the National Piano Guild Audition, call Lin at 530-220-2857.