H&R Block is preparing simple federal 1040-EZ forms for free at retail locations and online through the H&R Block At Home Free Edition.
In Davis, H&R Block is at 1411 W. Covell Blvd. in the Marketplace shopping center. The company’s website is http://www.hrblock.com.
For those who choose to fill out the form on their own, H&R Block’s free Tax Central Application provides tax tips and advice to help get the maximum refund deserved.
The H&R Block Tax Central App is available in the iTunes Store and on the Android Market with features to help taxpayers year-round. The comprehensive app answers popular tax questions, has a tax refund estimator and a customized tax information checklist to identify key filing dates and materials users need to file, a news release said.
“There are plenty of financial apps out there to track your mileage or calculate your tips. But, the breadth of H&R Block’s app takes it to the next level,” Mark Ciaramitaro, vice president of products at H&R Block, said in the news release. “It’s a helpful tool that answers questions, alerts users and gives tax advice — for free. Most importantly, though, it serves taxpayers how and where they want to be served.”
H&R Block’s app can be used on iPhone, iPod Touch or Android-compatible devices and includes other features, such as:
* Tax help on-the-go with a glossary of tax terms, and instant answers from The Tax Institute at H&R Block to the most popular questions submitted by taxpayers;
* A quick estimate of a taxpayer’s refund that can be e-mailed to the app user;
* An office locator, providing a phone number and directions to the office of choice;
* A Products & Services feature that explains the H&R Block At Home solutions for do-it-yourself filers
* Short tax quizzes that keep track of scores and allow users to see if they are improving their tax knowledge; and
* Links to H&R Block video clips on YouTube that give users access to entertaining and educational tax information.
The free H&R Block Tax Central App was the top finance app for more than a week last tax season on iTunes.
H&R Block offers a few reminders for individuals preparing their own returns:
* According to the IRS, the average tax refund was slightly more than $3,000 to taxpayers who filed their 2009 returns, “a welcome deposit in this tough economy,” the news release said.
* DIY filers who e-file and choose direct deposit can receive their federal refund in as few as eight days with H&R Block At Home online
* All unemployment benefits will be taxed this year, unlike last year when the first $2,400 was tax-free
H&R Block provides guaranteed, income tax return preparation services through its company-owned and franchise offices, and the H&R Block At Home online and desktop solutions. For an online tutorial, join H&R Block’s Get It Right Community tax forum, and visit its Facebook and Twitter pages.
H&R Block is one of the world’s largest tax services providers, having prepared more than 550 million tax returns worldwide since 1955. In fiscal year 2010, H&R Block had annual revenues of $3.9 billion and prepared more than 23 million tax returns worldwide, utilizing more than 100,000 trained tax professionals.