The benefit of fluoridation

During my 43-year career in academic dentistry, first at UC San Francisco and subsequently at the University of Pennsylvania, my field of study was primarily oral pathology, including dental caries. Tooth enamel consists primarily of hydroxyapatite crystals. These crystals contain hydroxyl ions, which can be replaced by fluoride ions, thereby rendering the crystals less soluble […]

Learning a lot about fluoridation

One outcome from our water fluoridation debate is I’m learning a lot! Discussions with both sides have taught me there’s no study showing the impact of fluoridation for a community with tooth decay rates as low as Davis’. Few communities have such good dental health, including many with fluoridated water. If we opt for fluoridation, […]

Farm to fork? Think Yolo County

You can help What: Promote Yolo County at the Sacramento Farm-to-Fork Festival When: 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday; various shifts are available Where: Capitol Mall, Sacramento Sign up: visit tinyurl.com/F2FVolunteers or call Maya Walker at 530-867-5603 By Alan Humason When it comes to Sacramento’s Farm to Fork initiative, Yolo County is all in. How could it be […]

Special teens deserve a memorial

Thank you for the front-page story about the 1980 murder of my dear friends, John Riggins and Sabrina Gonsalves. I encourage you to tune in on Saturday night to watch the CBS “48 Hours” episode about this case. More importantly, these two individuals and their families deserve a memorial in this community, and I encourage […]

Earth still can expect a good, long run

The issue: Mars may be a good place to escape our warming planet The good news is that humankind has at least 1.75 billion more years to advance before the sun heats up so much that Earth will lose its “habitability” — although it could hang in there as long as 3 billion more years. […]

She’s not the only one who’s fed up

Dear Annie: I have been married for 15 years. My husband and I still live under the same roof (for convenience), but we have drifted our separate ways. The problem is, our teenage son cannot stand to be in the same room with his father. All they do is argue, and my husband pouts like […]

Fluoride battle helps no one

Putting aside the arguments for and against water fluoridation in Davis, one thing is certain: There is a strong opposition to it. Should the council vote to approve water fluoridation, there are a number of options the anti-fluoridation side can take to fight it. Historically speaking, communities with strong anti-fluoridation sentiments usually prevail. The question […]

Support for The Cannery project

Let me add my voice to those in favor of The Cannery project. As my friends know, I was not a fan of either Covell Village or West Village, oversize peripheral developments that would wipe out farmland while providing little to this city in return. While some have compared The Cannery unfavorably with West Village, […]

It doesn’t meet seniors’ needs

The City of Davis Planning Commission will hold a public hearing on The Cannery project starting at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Community Chambers at City Hall, 23 Russell Blvd. The project is in its final stage of approval. The project plans for 547 homes on the former Hunt-Wesson cannery, owned by ConAgra. Since this […]

For Pakistan’s president, a singular achievement

The issue: Zardari is the first elected leader in the nation’s history to finish out his entire five-year term Asif Ali Zardari, who stepped down earlier this month after five years as president of Pakistan, does not seem likely to go down in history as one of that country’s great leaders. TO BEGIN WITH, he […]

Cannery must have better bike connectivity

By Mont Hubbard and Robb Davis Davis is special. We were the first Platinum Award recipient from the League of American Bicyclists and today have the highest bike trip mode share (somewhere around 25 percent) and the highest percentage of bicycle commuters in the United States. Central to creating and maintaining our quality of life […]

Ongoing pattern reaches a crisis point

Dear Annie: My fiancé’s mother has a rocky relationship with both of her sons. We see her infrequently, but still, my fiancé loses his patience with her quickly. At first I was OK with her, but now she annoys me, as well. She brags about things, pleads to get her way, plans visits without checking with […]