How to manage extra trash

In the Oct. 9 issue, a writer asks what to do with extra trash on one or two holidays, when a smaller container isn’t enough. We have just kept it aside until we could add extra, a bit at a time, until it was all gone. Also, compressing or compacting the items makes better use […]

Let’s teach our kids by example

By David N. Hafter Kids seem to notice everything. They may not always know how to interpret what they see and hear, but little gets by them. As they get older, they are quick to point out even a hint of hypocrisy. Since all of us adults have our flaws, leading by example can be a […]

Nobel gives housing-market studies a strong appraisal

The issue: Three top economists’ work recognized We all know the old joke: If we placed all of the world’s economists end to end, they still wouldn’t agree. The Nobel Prize Committee has marvelously proved that witticism with this year’s selection of three remarkable Americans for the top prize for economics. ECONOMIST Robert J. Shiller […]

Reunion brings up old feelings

Dear Annie: I’m 76 years old, and my 55th college reunion is coming up soon. I’m not sure I should attend. At every reunion, “he” is always there. We had a beautiful senior year and were very much in love. I expected a ring for graduation, but it never happened. After graduation, we moved apart […]

Debt limit? Take another look

I noted a letter in The Enterprise on Oct. 11, “Debt Limit? Read the Constitution.” I referred to the Constitution of the United States to make sure that I remembered what it says and that what I am reading in a letter or article is a correct representation. I am not sure that the term […]

Beware the robot dinosaur

Once again, the robot dinosaur has come to my house in the early morning hours. I dread these visits. The city of Davis sends this monster to eat the leaves off the sidewalk, instead of just sending humans to pick them up as they do in normal places. That is fine, I guess, but the […]

Stick with no-burn days

I disagree with Pam Helm, whose neighbor seems to regard neither friendly discussions nor “no burn” regulations as reasons not to burn. Helm wants more regulation. This doesn’t make sense. What does make sense is the continuance of the no-burn days and the reporting of those who violate these regulations, followed by a fine or […]

Keep young couple’s spirit alive

The Warm Remembrance Family Picnic scheduled for this Sunday has been canceled, but the efforts to raise money for the Warm Remembrance Family Play Area in Redwood Park on Anderson Road continue. As a close friend to John Riggins and Sabrina Gonsalves, who were brutally murdered almost 33 years ago, I encourage you to make […]

Drivers make mistakes, too

By John Whitehead Jane Dyer makes excellent points about cars and bicycles sharing the road, including an acknowledgment that people make mistakes when using either mode of transportation (Enterprise letters, Oct. 7). Her list of errors made by bicycle riders suggests that we also should consider common behaviors by car drivers that reduce the ease […]

France’s economy is stuck in the past

The issue: Letting Sephora sell after hours would be a step in the right direction When Nicolas Sarkozy was elected president of France in 2007, he promised to get the economy moving by lengthening the 35-hour work week, cutting back on the number of paid holidays, tightening up on the generous amounts of paid vacation […]

Where is this all going?

Dear Annie: I have been in a relationship with a wonderful guy for a year. We are in our mid-20s. Both of us are interested in moving abroad in the near future. When we started dating, we just wanted to have fun. I have since graduated and am currently working. He is also a graduate, […]

Waldorf responds on vaccinations

In response to Thursday’s article about vaccination rates among local schoolchildren, the Davis Waldorf School wishes to state its position on immunizations. The Waldorf schools around the world have focused on educating the whole child for nearly 100 years. With more than 1,000 schools across 93 countries, we have a unique and broad view of […]