Please ban puppy mills

I am writing to ban puppy mills. They are the No. 1 cause of pet overpopulation, and what animal wants to spend their life behind bars, getting fed the bare minimum? Puppy mills should be banned from the United States and everywhere else. I have pledged to stop animal cruelty, and puppy mills represent animal cruelty. […]

Bell-ringers raised $17,881

The Davis Salvation Army Committee would like to thank the holiday bell ringers. We earned $17,881, which includes a generous donation from Nugget Market and Dos Coyotes. We would like to thank the following businesses that allowed us to ring the bell: Davis post office, CVS/pharmacy East, South Davis Safeway, SaveMart, Davis Farmers Market, Davis […]

A worthy wish for 2014

By John M. Crisp I’ve never been a big fan of New Year’s resolutions. They often have the feel of death-bed conversions, of passionate commitments to do the right thing after most of the pleasures and benefits of doing the wrong thing have run their course. Shame and a hangover on New Year’s Day might […]

California sunshine law in spotlight

The issue: Voters face a measure in June that looks at costs of public records One of the low points of 2013 was quickly followed by one of the year’s high points when California policymakers did a quick reversal in Sacramento to protect the state’s vital “sunshine law.” IN RESPONSE to public pressure in June, […]

Shunned one time too many

Dear Annie: Three months ago, I attended the funeral of a friend and former co-worker, “Renee.” I went in, signed the book, gave my condolences to her husband and was speaking to some friends. At that point, another co-worker came up to me and said I should sit in the back of the mortuary because […]

Geography defined street names

Bob Dunning has been writing about new street names. I don’t know if he remembers, but back in the 1960s, the city named the streets that ran east and west after universities and colleges, and the ones that ran north and south after trees. There were a lot of new streets then, so maybe they […]

Protect your dog from grapes

Grapes and raisins, for reasons that are not understood, can be lethal to dogs — causing irreversible kidney failure. Some dogs can eat them with impunity; for others even a single grape can be lethal. The toxicity is not breed-specific. You don’t want to find out the hard way whether your dog is susceptible! Knowing […]

There’s hope for Disclose Act in ’14

If there’s one main reason behind the distrust many Californians feel for government and elected officials at all levels, it may be the way special interests regularly pour millions of dollars into election campaigns while managing to hide their identities. There was hope last year for an end to the sense of political impotence and […]

Finding the basics for alien life

The issue: Remember this year, when the question of other life forms became no longer a matter of if, but when In addition to turning-point years such as 1607, 1776 and 1969 (first person to walk on the moon — have you forgotten already?), future schoolchildren might have to memorize 2013, the year that astronomers […]

Daughters are overwhelming

Dear Annie: I have two grown daughters. I don’t know what I expected as we all grew older, but it certainly wasn’t what I got. Here’s the problem with my older daughter, “Bethany.” The three of us had lunch together, and afterward, Bethany said she was bored and had taken on part-time work as a […]

The affair is much more fun

Dear Annie: I am a married mother with two children, both in high school. But I am in love with a man who is not my husband of 21 years. “Harry” is my first love, and he came back into my life unexpectedly. He is also married. Neither of us is passionate or loving toward […]

Not diet, or exercise: I’ll try a new resolution

* Editor’s note: Marion is taking the day off. This column ran in slightly different form in 2006. If I tell you exactly what I’m doing at this moment, it will sound perfectly normal to you. I’m making coffee. I’m fiddling with my router, which has been having problems lately. I’m checking email. I’m also […]