Caught up in the mystery

My father was murdered a month and a half ago. The horrific double homicide of Chip Northup and Claudia Maupin remains an unsolved mystery. The community is frightened to know that there may be a monster among us. It is difficult to grieve without some kind of understanding of why two wonderful people were brutally […]

Common Core standards: Ready or not, we can’t wait

By Tom Torlakson and Michael Kirst Across California, teachers, parents and school administrators are working to make the transition to the new Common Core state standards. They are asking an understandable question: Are schools ready? Let’s be candid: California’s chronically underfunded education system has been put through the financial wringer in recent years. At the […]

Rural youths neglected by colleges

By Bill Maxwell President Barack Obama regularly sounds the alarm that the United States must find ways to substantially increase our number of postsecondary graduates to remain a viable economic force internationally. Most influential education foundations and economic think tanks agree. In a recent essay for the Chronicle of Higher Education, Sarah Beasley, director of […]

Why fracking should be banned in California

By Mary M. Zhu If industry has its way, California will be the new Texas. We sit on vast deposits of shale oil, which are only now accessible with enhanced methods of hydrofracking. This process fractures oil-rich shale with huge quantities of chemical-laden water, pumped under high pressure, to depths of 20,000 feet (3.8 miles), […]

A surprising drop in deficit buys Congress more time

The issue: However, the good news will last only so long In Washington there is a by-now hackneyed but still useful expression: “Kicking the can down the road.” It means putting off dealing with a difficult problem until some unspecified time in the future in the hopes that in the meantime some solution to the […]

Obama lays out counterterrorism policies

The issue: President has taken the right direction in handling conflicts President Barack Obama’s first major speech of his second term on counterterrorism sounded good, like all his speeches, but in the end it promised little real change. THE PRESIDENT said last week that the U.S. war on terrorist groups, “like all wars, must end. […]

Both U19 teams made us proud

When I opened my Davis Enterprise on Tuesday, eager to read about the two Davis U19 boys teams who competed against each other in the Davis World Cup final on Memorial Day, I was a bit perplexed to find that, according to The Enterprise, the only thing notable about their last game of the season […]

Kudos to Davis Media Access

The Davis High School band program would like to extend a huge thank you to Davis Media Access and especially to Cliff Gamble for recording our recent Jazz on a Summer’s Eve concert. With only about 24 hours’ notice due to a scheduling mix-up, they were able to shift their own schedules to complete all […]

Making a difference for kids

The Yolo County Children’s Alliance and Child Abuse Prevention Council thanks everyone who made a difference in a child’s life during April’s Child Abuse Prevention Month. Thank you to those who bought tickets to our fundraising events in April and especially our sponsors who gave such generous support to the Yolo County Celebrity Fashion Show […]

Keep fighting against stereotypes

The Davis community is well-known for its focus on academics. However, racial stereotypes are sometimes overlooked. In an effort to determine what these biases are in youth, our junior class Race and Social Justice group at Davis High School created two separate surveys, one for first-graders and another for 10th-graders. We surveyed approximately 80 students […]

Maybe it’s a Postal Service subsidy

I completely agree with Catherine Keller’s letter on two-month billing cycles, unless we are trying to create more clerical jobs for someone and trying to help the U.S. Postal Service survive with more mailings. The Golden Gate Bridge has just accomplished this by having no cash payment lanes. If you are a casual bridge crosser, […]

Davis Cemetery is like none other

Memorial Day is a time when most of us reflect on those people who are no longer with us. My late husband, William Won, died in 1996 so he has been gone a long time. I remarried a few years later. As we usually do, my husband and I went to the Davis Cemetery a […]

Keep the Matthew effect in mind

The Matthew effect is the phenomenon that “the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.” This is seen in studies of professional athletes in rugby, soccer and ice hockey. Sixty percent of athletes in these studies were born in the first four months of the year and only 13 percent in the last four […]