Fears about oil trains are justified

I just saw a report on Sacramento TV indicating that people in Davis are concerned about oil trains rolling through their neighborhood. Believe me, we are concerned, too, and have been for five years. I’m a news reporter who has been on this assignment since the Lac-Megantic explosion and have been trying to present statistics […]

June 05, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

First 5 lobbies for preschool

This is a summary of a letter sent by First 5 Yolo to members of the California State Legislature: After years of program cuts to child care and preschool programs, including the elimination of more than $1 billion in funding and 110,000 child care slots in California, this year brings an exciting opportunity for reinvestment […]

Voters win with top-two primary

Results like those from this week’s primary cause detractors to call California’s four-year-old “top two” election system the “jungle primary” because it often features races with a dozen or more contestants and outcomes that can be completely unpredictable. For sure, that makes it a lot more fun both to vote and follow election returns — unless […]

June 05, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Taking advantage of mother

Dear Annie: I’ve always known that my niece, “Norma,” takes advantage of people, but now I think she’s gone too far. Norma is a single mom who lives in my mother’s rental. I recently discovered that she has not paid rent for nearly a year. Norma also convinced my mother to shell out $8,000 to […]

Advice they don’t want to hear

Dear Annie: I work at a regional medical center, and friends and family often ask me to recommend a doctor or a physician’s group for them. For a while, I didn’t mind giving these people a few names, but I have grown reluctant to do so. My reluctance is not because I don’t trust in […]

Loopalooza a big success

I’d like to thank the volunteers from the Davis Bicycles! Schools Committee who worked so hard to make the fifth annual Davis Bike Loopalooza a success! More than 200 kids came out to ride and play on May 4 and our volunteers made it possible. We also had help in the form of contests, bike registrations […]

June 08, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Show, festival celebrated arts

Davis School Arts Foundation has just wrapped up another successful Elementary Art Show and Young at Art! Festival. We would like to extend a special thank you to all of those who helped pull it off. Davis Arts Center generously donated its facility for our Elementary Art Show, Second Friday ArtAbout and Young at Art! Festival. […]

With gratitude, from Tuleyome

Tuleyome held its annual fundraiser at the Odd Fellows Hall in Davis on March 21 and we want to thank everyone who came out to support our organization and programs. Silent auction donations were provided by the Berryessa Gap Winery, Big 5 Sporting Goods, Charlie and Logan Schneider, Culler Wine, the Dark Horse Golf Course, […]

June 08, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Bike Swap another success

A big, big thanks to all the families who participated in the César Chávez Elementary second annual Citywide Bike Swap Event that took place on Sunday, April 6. It was a win-win situation for those who sold their bikes, donated their bikes or bought bikes at the swap. More than 200 bikes were consigned or […]

June 04, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Baroque Ensemble says thanks

On April 6, the Davis community was treated to a Baroque concert of superb caliber. Renowned violinist Rachel Barton Pine performed with the Davis High School Baroque Ensemble, directed by Angelo Moreno, at the DHS Brunelle Performance Hall, which was filled to its 500-person capacity. The opportunity provided to the young musicians and the concert […]

Calling all dads and daughters

The Annual Father-Daughter Dance was held at El Macero Country Club on April 5. It was a wonderful night of dinner, dancing and fun for fathers and daughters of all ages while at the same time raising money for a great cause, the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society. This year, the donations were given to Brooke Beaubier, a […]

Nearly $10K raised for YIIN

On April 5, the Yolo Interfaith Immigration Network held its third annual fundraising dinner at Davis Community Church. It was a sold-out event, and we raised more than $9,400. Of those proceeds, $5,000 will be used to provide financial aid to immigrant college students at UC Davis and Woodland Community College who are struggling to pay […]

City needs a policy about greenbelts

By Claudia Morain Davis Planning Commission members Cheryl Essex and Marilee Hanson are my new heroes. The city of Davis, perhaps for the first time, is considering selling a greenbelt to a private developer. Essex and Hanson have my respect for their principled opposition to the concept. They voiced their objections at a May 29 […]

June 04, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,