More suggestions for city manager

The Chamber of Commerce recently wrote about what characteristics the next city manager of Davis should possess. I have the following additional suggestions: * Be fiscally responsible in your actions instead of hiring several new high-level managers and initiating expensive studies; * Listen to the community instead of constantly talking about yourself and your previous […]

School funding plans go awry

Gov. Jerry Brown and a lot of public school officials are just now rediscovering how right the 18th century Scottish poet Robert Burns was when he observed that “The best laid plans of mice and men oft’ go astray.” The latest example in California is the new public school funding formula Brown aggressively pushed last […]

It’s our job to help dogs have good manners

By Cayce Wallace There has been an increasing number of interactions in Davis between dogs and dogs and people and dogs that have ended in a bite. Almost all dog bites could have been avoided. Here are a few things I would like to remind people: * Your dog needs to be on a leash […]

Father eating himself to death

Dear Annie: I have an amazing dad. He coaches my lacrosse team and is always up for a game in the yard. But I am growing very nervous about his health. Dad eats fast food every day at work and comes home to enjoy a home-cooked meal topped with a large amount of salt. He […]

Five Obamacare predictions

Here are five Obamacare predictions: 1. The number of uninsured will remain very significant. One of the major reasons for passing Obamacare was that we, as the wealthiest country in the world, should not have people without health insurance. Well, the Congressional Budget Office recently predicted that within the next decade, the number of uninsured […]

Amtrak cost doesn’t add up

We would like to visit a friend in Richmond. She has offered to meet us at the Richmond Amtrak station. It sounds like fun — we have not made this rail trip before. But then …? We can drive from Davis to Richmond and back, about 130 miles, in our compact Toyota pickup, on less […]

Soup’s On made a difference

Our community once again came together for a cause in need at the 10th annual Soup’s On with Supervisor Don Saylor. I am humbled by the generosity of our community and I am proud to announce that our event raised more than $30,000 for the Elderly Nutrition Program/Meals on Wheels of Yolo County. The Elderly […]

Teachers earn every penny

I joined the substitute teaching pool in September when we moved to Davis. I am an experienced classroom teacher, with a valid California teaching credential. The classrooms in the Davis school district are always welcoming and I am provided with plans that are well-prepared. Being a sub means at the end of my day, I […]

Don’t miss students’ art

Hats off to our school district, the art department, teacher Lynette Diem and 22 advanced high school artists who displayed their accomplishments on Sunday, Feb. 9, at Gallery 1855. Shows like this reaffirm one’s support and appreciation of the arts. The show is up all month, so please come by, weekdays from 9 a.m. to […]

Headline was offensive

I winced when I opened last Tuesday’s sports section and caught the heading of a story about the Davis High School girls basketball game: “Laugher with Laguna preps Lady Devils for Friday crucial.” It does not matter that the final score in that basketball game was 75-18. I do not know of any parent of […]

For the record

Sunday’s “Our View” misstated the law when it comes to school district investigations of formal complaints. Dr. Rob Peterson did not “persuade” Davis school district officials to investigate his complaint about Davis High School volleyball coach Julie Crawford. By law, the district is bound to do so. We regret the error.

It means hope, whatever its name

The issue: Empower Yolo puts focus on the future One of the signature features of living in Davis is the extraordinary commitment local residents have to helping those in need. AN OUTSTANDING example was founded by five women in a local apartment in 1977. Originally called the Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Center, the agency […]

Carbon dioxide is killing our oceans

“The geological record suggests that the current acidification is potentially unparalleled in at least the last 300 million years of Earth history and raises the possibility that we are entering an unknown territory of marine ecosystem change.” — Jelle Bijma, research scientist, October 2013 As if there were not already enough to worry about … […]