Young mom’s story intersects with my own

I met a young mother in Village Homes who told me her name was Sarah. I was walking on the green with my 2-year-old grandson, Dane, and her children, ages 2 and 4, were playing at the gazebo. At first, it seemed like a short, typical Davis-style encounter. Her children and my grandchild came together […]

Friend crosses the line with wife

Dear Annie: My wife of 50 years told me that a longtime friend has called her twice trying to have phone sex. I exploded! She told me not to say anything because it would ruin our friendship with this couple. I confronted him anyway and told him he disrespected my wife, me and all women […]

You’ve got mail, at least for a little while

It’s time to start thinking outside the mailbox. The U.S. Postal Service has announced that it has a $6 billion deficit, and that’s on the heels of last year’s $16 billion deficit. Apparently the extra pennies we’re paying for stamps aren’t closing the gap. The problem isn’t merely the cost of maintaining and staffing post […]

Hunger from a farmer’s perspective

By Jim Durst Being a farmer, part of my job is to manage plant health. It is a kind of forensic science because it calls me to look beyond the obvious. In scouting for pests, I have found it helpful to spend time in the field observing the insect populations. One trick I have found helpful […]

He won’t help clean up his mess

Dear Annie: I have been with my husband for 19 years, married for nine. I love him and never had any serious issues with our marriage until four months ago. That’s when I discovered that my husband was having an affair. He’s been lying to me about it for nearly three years, telling me his […]

Fair pay and a decent workplace

At the Sept. 10 Davis City Council meeting, one agenda item had us all smiling. The item under discussion was pay raises for the council members, and they each talked a little about many aspects of the issue. They all seemed embarrassed to talk about it, as though they were caught reaching into the cookie […]

First Amendment rights and bags

Wikipedia defines freedom of speech as “the political right to communicate one’s opinions and ideas using one’s body and property to anyone who is willing to receive them.” ACLU states it is “dedicated to protecting and expanding the First Amendment freedoms of expression.” The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that freedom of speech includes the […]

The Fed chickens out

The talk for the previous month or so has centered around how much the Fed was going to taper its securities purchases, i.e., decrease its money printing from the current level of nearly $3 billion per day. After all, we have heard through the media how great the economy is doing (regular folks tell a […]

Taliban’s reason for resistance

The “Our View” on polio in Pakistan (Sept. 12) informs readers of a tragic public health situation, but the source of this tragedy went unacknowledged. Certainly, the Taliban is compromising the civilian population in myriad ways — lack of modern health care among them. But let’s expand our scope when considering cause and effect. The […]

Study identifies erosion as threat to local water supply

* Editor’s note: This is the second in a three-part series of articles by the Putah Creek Council to educate residents about a creek restoration project to improve water quality and wildlife habitat in and along Putah Creek. By Libby Earthman Water is diverted from Putah Creek for the cities of Vacaville, Fairfield, Suisun City, […]

First Amendment gives life to the entire U.S. Constitution

By Jackie Kinney The U.S. Constitution outlines the powers and duties of the three branches of the federal government and its relationship with the states. This republican form of government allows me to enjoy the special privileges of living in California plus all that is guaranteed from being part of the United States of America. […]

Yellen is natural choice to head Fed

The issue: Presidents don’t get easy choices very often; this is one President Barack Obama has been criticized fairly for dithering over critical decisions and then not fighting hard for them. Circumstances have conspired to make one of the most important decisions of Obama’s second term for him. Thankfully, it’s the right one, and the […]