Schoolyard rules in the teacher’s lounge

Dear Annie: My daughter has a master’s degree in education and spent three years as a nanny when she was an undergraduate. She recently began her first teaching job with second-grade children. The principal is terrific. However, there is an older teacher who has been at this school for years, and she is making my […]

How much should non-doctors do?

One thing is certain as California heads for a new health insurance era under the Affordable Health Care Act, better known as Obamacare: Almost all parts of the state will need more medical professionals to serve the additional 2 million to 4 million newly insured Californians. Should they mostly be physicians, or should other health […]

Apple’s tax plan is legal, but rotten

The issue: Company shelters billions in earnings from the government Apple is best known for the brilliance of its technological wizardry. But when Senate investigators finish examining its financial practices, the electronics giant may be best known for its brilliance in legal tax avoidance. THROUGH COMPLEXITY that rivals the inner workings of its computers, Apple […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; 202-456-1111; fax: 202-456-2461; email: president@whitehouse.gov U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3841; fax: 202-228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House of Representatives Rep. John Garamendi (3rd District), 2438 Rayburn […]

Thank you, Brooks Painting

Yolo Community Care Continuum is thrilled to be the recipient of the 2013 Brooks Painting charity giveaway. YCCC’s Safe Harbor program is the selected beneficiary of the giveaway. YCCC wants to extend a huge thank you to Brooks Painting and everyone who voted for us. YCCC is a nonprofit organization established to better the lives […]

GATE coordinator gets pink slip

I was anxious meeting Deanne Quinn, GATE coordinator for the Davis schools. I expected an intense, intimidating woman. Instead, I saw a funny, warm older woman filled with passion and dedication. She gave me her home and cell phone numbers. We spoke in the evenings after the children were tucked in. She is insightful and […]

More Eli Davis outrage

Most of us know by now that Eli Davis was questioned by police while he was mowing his West Davis lawn and told to produce identification. A senior citizen. A 30-year homeowner. A gentle, kind grandfather. A 68-year-old African-American man. I felt like I was back in the deep South in the 1950s. After attending the […]

Food security and nutrition for seniors

By Amanda McCarthy May is National Older Americans Month. During this time, we often think about our grandparents, relatives and friends. While many seniors live healthy, active lives, there are also those who struggle to live on fixed incomes. For these people, there are difficult choices to make including whether to pay for healthcare or […]

The problem’s in the testing

In the Sunday forum article “Dubious legal advice drove lottery,” Carlton Larson lamented the use of a lottery to select GATE-qualified students for the limited seats available in self-contained GATE classes. Larson, a law school professor, contended the district could and should select students based solely on merit, i.e., test scores. Larson compared admission to […]

Vote no on fluoride in water

I am glad to read more comments about the negative effects of fluoride in drinking tap water. It was added to the water we had in Wilmette, Ill. How do I not know that it didn’t contribute to cancer? I choose to avoid tempting having cancer by not having it. What other organs would it harm? We don’t […]

Food closet kept stocked

It takes an unbelievable amount of support from the community of Davis for STEAC to feed the homeless and low-income elderly and low-income families who live here in Davis each year. Without the large and small food drives that are held every year it would not be possible. We would like to thank two of […]

You can’t invent your own facts

I was stunned by the unintentional irony of your recent editorial excoriating the Obama administration’s apparent overreach while investigating national security leaks. Hyperbole is certainly not unusual in editorials, and the government since Sept. 11, 2001, has indeed been much too lax in protecting civil liberties in the face of potential terrorist threats. It does […]