Should trees have standing?

Those advocating to save the mature valley oaks and cedars at The Cannery make the case that these trees have “value” — different from clearing the site, building a profitable project for the developers and providing the city economic benefits. Implicit in the comments that these trees are mature, 50 to 150-plus years, have thrived […]

Help feed the hungry this holiday

The November and December holidays are only a few weeks away. As you plan your own celebrations this year, please consider making a food or monetary donation to Davis Community Meals: uncooked turkeys (still in store wrap), fresh vegetable and fruits from your winter gardens, etc. DCM is a communitywide organization committed to providing delicious, […]

It’s all obvious now

After five years of hectoring, lecturing, badgering and wagging his finger at the American people, we now clearly see our faux president for what he is — a fraud with no discernible leadership skills. For reasons that escape my understanding, this nation elected a community organizer (of all things) to the highest office in the […]

Like your plan? You can keep it

Peter, Peter, pumpkin eater Has a plan that’s not a keeper Should have known, but, unaware, He bought a plan that was unfair Now in despair he blames Obama For his costly health care trauma His plan won’t pay for indigestion Caused by greedy gourd ingestion Obamacare is fraught with flaws As are so many […]

Obamacare: We lack a better alternative

“If you like your private health insurance plan, you can keep your plan. Period.” — President Obama Barack Obama won the presidency in 2008 on a slogan: Hope and change. I am not sure where hope went, but to Americans who discovered recently they cannot keep their plans, period, Obama is offering a changed tune: […]

IRS crackdown on tax cheats is good policy

The issue: Honest, efficient and transparent tax collection is important Among the most counterproductive cuts Congress makes in its zeal to trim the budget are those in the Internal Revenue Service, especially among the agents charged with cracking down on tax fraud. What they recover or force deadbeats to pay or prevent in the way of […]

This doesn’t have to continue

Dear Annie: I have been married for 32 years to a horrible man. He is self-centered, controlling, a liar and a cheat. He manipulated me into buying a house I did not want, and when my mother died in this house, he kicked me out of the room we shared and made me move into […]

Dunning’s on another planet

Well, well, well … looks like Dunning laid a goose egg in his prognostication of the Stanford/Oregon game. Here is what he said in the Oct. 31 edition of The Enterprise: “This week’s picks are as follows: “OREGON over STANFORD (Nov. 7) … yes, this game isn’t until next Thursday, but neither team plays this […]

Fluoridation vs. global warming

The same people who cannot understand how in the world those who do not believe human activities are strong contributors to global climate change in light of the overwhelming body of scientific evidence saying this is so are many of the same people who do not support fluoridating our water even though the overwhelming body of […]

We are so fortunate!

I live in a neighborhood with an aging population. It’s not uncommon to see a fire engine and an ambulance on our streets. This morning, the Fire Department and the American Medical Response team came to the aid of a beloved longtime neighbor. I want to say how fortunate we are to have such an […]

Council must wisely plan ahead

The following is a copy of a letter to the Davis City Council: I have lived in this wonderful city for 51 years, raised my children here and enjoyed the carefully planned amenities that former wise councils and local developers have seen fit to incorporate into making Davis, Davis. My neighborhood has seen a transition […]

Our requests are not extreme

Sunday’s op-ed piece by Eileen Samitz offers too many misstatements for me to address here. However, a few of the more glaring inaccuracies must be addressed: * With no smaller, single-story houses available, The Cannery does not “work for all ages” or “young families” or “retired” people as she states. * Contrary to her statement, […]