Council must wisely plan ahead

The following is a copy of a letter to the Davis City Council: I have lived in this wonderful city for 51 years, raised my children here and enjoyed the carefully planned amenities that former wise councils and local developers have seen fit to incorporate into making Davis, Davis. My neighborhood has seen a transition […]

Our requests are not extreme

Sunday’s op-ed piece by Eileen Samitz offers too many misstatements for me to address here. However, a few of the more glaring inaccuracies must be addressed: * With no smaller, single-story houses available, The Cannery does not “work for all ages” or “young families” or “retired” people as she states. * Contrary to her statement, […]

The Cannery meets seniors’ needs

It was with perplexed confusion that I read two editorial pieces in Sunday’s Davis Enterprise, insisting that The Cannery project include housing designs that seniors/disabled can use — specifically, small, single-story, detached homes. In fact both authors erroneously claim there are “none planned now” and ask “what is the rationale for leaving them out”? Here […]

Project design is short-sighted

I strongly support the opinions expressed by Deborah Nichols Poulos in the Oct. 27 Enterprise. The developers of The Cannery project have failed to consider the needs of senior citizens and others who may have mobility handicaps by not providing any small, one-story detached houses. To allow the project to move on without considering the […]

Germany must seek owners of art Nazis stole

The issue: The task of finding rightful owners is formidable, but simple justice demands it Among the many sins of the Nazi leaders who afflicted Europe for 12 years, until they were bludgeoned into surrender in 1945, is that they were unsurpassed as thieves and robbers. SHOCKING AND BELATED evidence of their greed exploded recently […]

Remember the veterans today

Dear Readers: In honor of Veterans Day, here is one of our favorite pieces, written by John Alton Robinson of Monroe, La. “Freedom” From the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier To the silver-haired crowns of our fathers From the shores of Tripoli To the Pacific’s pearl-green waters I wish to give a tribute A four-starred […]

Son is still nursing a grudge

Dear Annie: A year ago, I had an argument, mostly via text, with my 37-year-old son. He was threatening to leave his bride of two weeks. I tried to get him to understand that he had made a serious commitment and shouldn’t throw it away so easily. Unfortunately, things escalated to include more personal feelings […]

Back on the bicycle, the thrills return

They say you never forget how to ride a bicycle, which is true but not the whole story. Getting back on my bike after a three-year hiatus, I didn’t expect adventure, but I got it, from an elevated heart rate to saving turkeys. I don’t know why I stopped riding, especially in a bike-friendly town […]

Can’t forgive or forget

Dear Annie: My husband works for a large mental health agency and five years ago had a two-year affair with a fellow employee. I found their illicit emails three years ago. Even though my husband and I are still together, I am broken and cannot heal. I pray and I strive and nothing works. It […]

These stories deserve to be told

Not long ago, I finally began reading Tom Brokaw’s book “The Greatest Generation.” The Davis Enterprise’s “Yolo at War” series is the perfect complement to that magnificent work. The local angles that The Enterprise chose to examine are captivating and illuminating. All of the participating writers have done justice to stories that deserve to be […]

WWII series has been enlightening

I really appreciate that Davis Enterprise staff writer Bruce Gallaudet was interested in finding out about the Davis Winters Airstrip and the role it played during World War II. Also, I want to thank Bruce for his article on the Doolittle Raiders along with his description of how their unique action helped to change the […]