Fluoridation’s not without risk

In anticipation of our town’s coming debate over water fluoridation, I’ve been reading far and wide. Perhaps many of us have assumed that fluoridating water supplies is a no-brainer, a sound public health measure. I’ve come away from my reading, however, rethinking this common assumption. Recent research suggests that ingested fluoride is not at all […]

Sleep deprivation at DHS

Every year juniors at Davis High School in the Race and Social Justice class take part in a yearlong research project. My group decided to look into sleep deprivation among high school students. The results were somewhat expected but not what should be happening. Through surveys, we found that about 60 percent of students have […]

Students surveyed about pressures

Our class, Race and Social Justice, conducted a survey of 241 DHS students, asking about pressures they experience while attending high school. The majority feel more pressure in the academic domain than in social and athletic domains. We found that Asians feel most pressure in the academic domain and least in the area of social […]

Is the spy trade really this basic?

The issue: Arrest of U.S. diplomat in Moscow has elements of farce Russia’s propaganda apparatus may need an infusion of fresh talent to impart a much-needed touch of realism for what movie theaters used to call “selected short subjects.” THIS ARCANE BRANCH of Russian cinematography began with a regular series of propaganda films showing Vladimir […]

So many issues to deal with

Dear Annie: I realize that you ladies are not psychologists, but I value your opinion, so I hope you (and your readers) can help me. My darling 4-year-old grandson looks 99 percent Caucasian, but he is actually 50 percent African-American. His biological father is in prison and has not been in the picture since he […]

Son has no direction in life

Dear Annie: My 22-year-old son, “Nick,” spends most of his time playing video games. He was fired from several jobs last year because he stopped showing up. We had no idea. We finally kicked him out. It was the hardest decision of my life. He lived with various relatives and friends until he started lying […]

Authors’ event goes to the dogs

* Editor’s note: Marion is taking the day off. This column first ran in February 2008. I’ve attended a number of book-signings in my day, mostly in bookstores, but never one where the author passed out tasteless biscuits before talking, never one where almost half the audience couldn’t read and never will, and never one […]

Fearful of what comes next

Dear Annie: I’ve been married to “Ned” for 25 years, and each year it seems to get worse. When we married, he told me I could do whatever I wanted with the house, but he never said I’d be the one paying. The house was barely furnished, the bedding had holes in it, the carpet […]

Forget Miss Clairol’s lies — gray is great and silver is super

Why yes, now that you ask, I am fading right before your very eyes. I’ve noticed people taking an extra few seconds, staring when they haven’t seen me in a while, and surely thinking, “Holy crap, has she gone gray!” They’re only partially right. I started going gray nearly 20 years ago. Being of the […]

Dubious legal advice drove GATE lottery decision

By Carlton Larson When the Board of Trustees of the Davis school district voted to implement a lottery for GATE admissions, it relied heavily on the legal advice provided by the board’s counsel, who contended that the current method of GATE selection exposed the district to the risk of a lawsuit. As several board members […]

Distractions increase surgeons’ potential for mistakes

By Lee Bowman Just how much attention your surgeon pays to tasks in the operating room can be affected by a number of distractions, recent research suggests. First off, operating rooms are not libraries. Equipment can be noisy, colleagues chatty and many surgeons work with music in the background. Not everyone may mute, or even […]

A sweet spot for farms and fish on a floodplain

By Richard Howitt and Josué Medellín-Azuara One of California’s greatest environmental success stories has been the partnership between Sacramento Valley rice growers and wildlife managers to support wintering waterfowl. Farmers have shown they can make good money in the off-season by flooding their harvested fields to grow ducks and geese — attracting fee-paying hunters. Now, […]

Few fire calls? Well, I’m one of them

By Glen Byrns First let me say that I’m not a firefighter, union member or follower of Davis politics. I’m an ordinary citizen who is retired and enjoys backpacking, building model airplanes and rebuilding old English cars for fun. There’s been a lot of talk about reducing staffing levels for the Fire Department. During the […]