Community supports Mynamar school

The Davis-based Myanmar Children’s Foundation thanks the community for its support at our fundraising event on Oct. 6, “From Yolo to Myanmar with Love.” Thanks to Davis City Council member Lucas Frerichs, and Stacie Frerichs, who opened their home to more than 250 guests who enjoyed a fabulous evening of food, drink, musical merriment and […]

We celebrate each other

The international Festival sponsored by International House, Davis, with the help of The Culture Co-op, community volunteers and incredible interns from UC Davis, took place Oct. 12 and something amazing happened. Several thousand people — including UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi, Mayor Joe Krovoza, Assemblywoman Mariko Yamada, Yolo County Supervisor Don Saylor and City Council […]

SADVC offers its thanks

The Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Center would like to extend a huge thank-you to everyone who attended the second annual Unmasking Violence: Rebel with a Cause Gala at Reiff’s Gas Station Museum this past Saturday. The funds raised from the event will support SADVC’s vital programs for survivors of violence in Yolo County. A […]

Disastrous debut for this show

The stage is set. The production that has had the country buzzing for years is finally set for its debut. The theater is decked out as is the anticipating crowd, on pins and needles awaiting this climactic moment, which has for so long been only a dream. The executive producers — Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid […]

More campaign disclosure is a must

Just in case anyone doubts the need for a lot more transparency in political fundraising, a remarkable settlement just obtained by California’s campaign finance watchdog and accompanying demands for disgorgement of previously undisclosed donations should erase all doubt. The extraordinary thing about the settlement and the commission orders wasn’t the $1 million in fines assessed […]

When Europe talks, the U.S. listens

The issue: The bottom line: Friends don’t spy on friends There is a rich element of hypocrisy in European outrage over disclosures that the National Security Agency was eavesdropping on the phone conversations of world leaders, particularly our European allies and most particularly German Chancellor Angela Merkel. MERKEL ANGRILY called President Barack Obama and was […]

Not looking forward to this

Dear Annie: I am retiring at the end of the week and am worried. I have been married for 27 years to my second husband. For the past 24, he has not once touched me, said “I love you” or displayed any affection. He is a good stepfather to my children and a wonderful grandfather, […]

Musicians are grateful for support

The students of the Davis High School Baroque Ensemble will be going to Italy in June for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to perform, take classes and visit the places where great composers of the Baroque era taught and wrote. We want to thank the Davis community for all the support we have received and will continue […]

We stand behind the U.N.

A new poll out last week has found that nearly nine in 10 voters believe it’s important for the United States to maintain an active role in the United Nations. We’re among them. This new poll shows that Americans overwhelmingly support the U.N.’s work, from overseeing the destruction of Syria’s chemical weapons, to building peace in countries emerging from […]

Congress adds extra fright to Halloween

The issue: Scary holiday has become an economic bellwether for the all-important shopping season What is even scarier this Halloween than zombies, witches, skeletons, Despicable Me, a twerking Miley Cyrus or the characters from “Breaking Bad” and “Duck Dynasty”? Congress. LAST YEAR, the National Retail Federation estimated Americans would spend $8 billion celebrating Halloween. This […]

Trick-or-treating for UNICEF

On Oct. 22, the Davis City Council once again recognized Davis’ children for their “outstanding contributions” to UNICEF and proclaimed the last week of October “Support UNICEF Week.” Last year alone, Davis schoolchildren raised $11,700 trick-or-treating for UNICEF. That money goes to provide lifesaving medicine, water and food, as well as life-changing education to children […]

A perfect day to ride 100 miles

“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country […]