Fire staffing vote was no surprise

In my March 13 column, I wrote, “it is clear, when listening to (City Council members) Dan Wolk and Lucas Frerichs, both ambitious young Democrats, that they are willing to bend over backwards to not come across as anti-union. They know that label could imperil their futures in higher office.” I was explaining why Wolk […]

U.S. in no hurry to intervene in Syria

The issue: Obama’s innate caution may be irritating to his followers, but in this case it is sound policy President Barack Obama, who is cautious by nature — many on both sides of the political spectrum say too much so — is being double-extra-careful on Syria. And he is right to do so. AT HIS […]

Workplace gets hostile after scandal

Dear Annie: My husband works at a private college. His male boss had an affair with one of the female directors under him. My husband and his assistant found out about it and, after much deliberation, brought it to the attention of the human resources department. The president of the college was informed, but he […]

Learning opportunities for all

It was such a treat to hear Dana Cope, GATE administrator of Napa School District, speak in Davis recently on educational alternatives to tracking and self-contained GATE classes. Parents of GATE-identified children need not fear that their children’s educational experience will in any way be diminished if non-GATE-identified children are equally included in their classes […]

Non-residents don’t pay school tax

With recent information in The Enterprise about upwards of 550 non-Davis resident students, I wonder why we should continually pass school bonds. 550 students mean a whole school! While some of these students are from families who work in Davis but live elsewhere, the number is enormous and may represent a district that accepts others just […]

Keeping the coaches in check

I would have liked to have made a quick reply to Ashley Yudin’s April 28 letter to the editor asking “Is the school board over the line?” but the record is going to take a while to clear up. I have no skin in the volleyball world — none. However, I do think that letting […]

Possible solution to violence

Given the daily violence in this state and county, the failure of the government to deal with the problem, as well as, the uncompromising position of the gun lobby and the non-gun owner citizenry, I feel one possible long-term solution could be teaching a mandatory course in conflict resolution. These classes would have the potential […]

Businesses must hire more vets

By Michelle Obama and Jill Biden Two years ago, we launched Joining Forces, a nationwide campaign to rally all Americans to support our veterans and military families. We did this for two simple reasons: because we were both awed by the courage and sacrifice of our men and women in uniform who risk their lives […]

Big investors discovered distressed housing

The issue: It’s disheartening to see that some of the same firms that pumped up the real-estate bubble until it popped are now in a position to profit from their handiwork Traditionally, big institutional investors avoided single-family homes. The purchases tended to be time-consuming, one-on-one negotiations with the seller. The properties were widely scattered, making oversight […]

The boy needs discipline

Dear Annie: I’m a 20-year-old woman in love with a 25-year-old divorced man who has a 4-year-old son, “Mikey.” Lately, Mikey’s mother has been letting us have the child more often because she has to go out of state on business. The problem is, this boy is very stubborn. He’s not a bad child. He […]

She’s bitter over son’s divorce

Dear Annie: My brother was divorced more than a year ago. Of course, it was extremely difficult for his family, but slowly, life is moving forward. My mother is the one who is not getting over it. In the past year, she has grown into one of the most bitter people I know. She used […]

What can baby geese expect from life on the river?

Two weeks ago a friend told me that her mother, now deceased, used to say that life is sorrow. You find happiness when you can, but overall, life is suffering, life is sorrow. I disagreed immediately. The cup may be half-filled with sludge but the other half contains milk and honey, and I think the […]