Show a bully some love

By Brooks Gibbs Valentine’s Day is almost here, and the focus is on love. Even in our nation’s schools, many students exchange Valentine’s Day cards and candy to recognize their friendships and show appreciation of the close bonds with one another. But what about bullies? How many students will be showing love toward them? It […]

Smoking’s new kid on the block

By Constance Caldwell, M.D. The good news is that smoking rates in our Yolo County communities are some of the lowest in the state. The bad news is that we have recently seen a very troubling trend among our youth. Smoking in the 13-to-19 age range has more than doubled from 2007 to 2011, and […]

Helping, but not happy about it

Dear Annie: I am a live-in caregiver for my grandmother, who is in failing health. She has five children (including my father) who do absolutely nothing for her because they say Grandma is a mean, nasty person, which she is. Grandma feeds off of negativity and gossip. Nothing is ever good enough, and she blames […]

Early vote sought on rates

The following is an open letter to city leaders: This Tuesday night, the Davis City Council will take up the newly qualified initiative. It probably will be on the late-night agenda, unfortunately, but we are glad that it will be heard on such short notice. Thank you, city staff and the City Council, for putting […]

The Gun Report, one year later

It has been a year since my assistant, Jennifer Mascia, and I started publishing The Gun Report, an effort to use my blog to aggregate daily gun violence in America. Our methodology is pretty simple: We do a Google News search each weekday morning for the previous day’s shootings and then list them. Most days, […]

Biking and walking to school: Here’s what the data show

By Robb Davis Adults who grew up in Davis will often harken back to their experience as students, noting that “everyone” biked or walked to school in the past. Most cannot recall when the trend to driving children to school took off, but most would concur that bicycling and walking are at much lower levels […]

Meet the next City Council members

By Michael Bisch, Tom Cross, Steve Greenfield, Rosalie Paine and Shane Tucker Through long years of hard and thoughtful work, many generations of Davisites have created a community of which we can all be proud. Our significant commitment to our schools, environmental issues and bicycling make our community unique and attractive. Regrettably, some of this hard […]

Right idea, wrong time

The issue: Public power would be good for Davis, but we have too much on our plate Revisiting a long-held community goal, the Davis City Council is looking at the feasibility of a public utility to provide electricity to residents. Last attempted with 2006’s Measures H and I, which would have allowed Yolo County to […]

First guidelines issued to prevent stroke in women

Just as heart attack symptoms may differ between men and women, so do stroke risks. Now, the American Heart Association has issued its first guidelines for preventing strokes in women. They focus on birth control, pregnancy, depression and other risk factors that women face uniquely or more frequently than men do. The advice applies to […]

A good thing or bad?

Dear Annie: Our 14-year-old daughter is not a terrible kid — probably just a typical teenage girl. She can be rude and obnoxious, she talks back and curses, and she leaves her room an upside-down mess and is obsessed with her iPhone, constantly posting pictures of herself online and chatting with friends. We have another […]

Cheers and Jeers: Sending some hope to typhoon survivors

We offer our cheers and jeers for local newsmakers as we look back over the previous week: CHEERS to a group of hard-working local residents who have banded together to raise more than $50,000 to help survivors of Typhoon Haiyan, which ravaged the Philippines in November, rebuild their homes and their lives. Local residents who have […]

It’ll be a joyous Valentine’s Day

Over the past 14 years, many same-sex couples in Yolo County have gone to the county Clerk-Recorder’s Office to request a marriage license and have been denied. This year, for the first time, they know their request will be honored. Come celebrate this momentous occasion and thank Clerk-Recorder Freddie Oakley and her crew for their […]