Navalny throws a bad scare into the Kremlin

The issue: Against all odds, opposition candidate gains traction By the standards of an honestly conducted election, Alexei Navalny got creamed in his run for mayor of Moscow, 51.4 percent to 27.2 percent. But by the standards of elections conducted under the aegis of autocratic Russian President Vladimir Putin, Navalny threw a bad scare into […]

Managing your risk of oral cancer

Tobacco and alcohol consumption have been considered the main risk factor for oral cancer along with poor oral hygiene and genetics. This type of oral cancer is most frequently seen after the age of 40 years, with a peak at 60 years of age. Today, focus has shifted towards infection with Human Papillomavirus as an […]

How safe do you feel 12 years after 9/11?

Loren Johnson doctor, Friday Harbor, Wash.: “I feel very safe. We’re the safest country in the world.” Lewis Oleson counselor, Woodland: “Reasonably safe, but I’m curious where the hundred missing Russian atomic bombs are. I’m still interested in questions like that.” Skyler Blume student, Davis: “Pretty safe, but sometimes when you’re on a plane you […]

Babysitter running out of steam

Dear Annie: My granddaughter, “Mary,” is employed full time, has two daughters, ages 10 and 5, and is pregnant with her third child, even though a divorce has been in the works for at least a year. The problem is that Mary expects her mother, my daughter, “Cindy,” to provide daycare, often for 12 hours […]

Explorit: Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are

By Vinita Domier Ever wonder how astronomers determine physical properties of distant stars such as their chemical composition, surface temperature, luminosity, etc.? How they infer the speeds of stars and galaxies relative to the Earth? Or how they calculate the vast distances of stars and galaxies from the Earth? If so, then please come to […]

Thanks for this act of kindness

I would like to thank the two young women who found my wallet and returned to me. It apparently fell out of my pocket while I was riding my bike across Fifth Street one evening earlier this week. Judging from its condition and their story, it was run over by traffic that scattered the contents. […]

So what’s the point of citizenship?

As the lines begin to blur between American citizens living in California and immigrants who are here legally, it’s fair to begin asking what’s the difference? What rights and privileges should be reserved strictly for citizens? These questions are highlighted by two bills that swept easily through the California Legislature, one already signed without much […]

Jobless rate drops because fewer are looking

The issue: Gloomy unemployment figures contrast with other positive economic reports The summer, which otherwise produced a spate of positive economic news, ended on a depressing and worrisome note on the jobs front. THE HEADLINE NUMBER was that the unemployment rate fell to 7.3 percent in August, the lowest level in nearly five years, down […]

Doc just handing out pills

Dear Annie: My dad’s cousin, “John,” is an internist from another state. During my younger sister’s wedding weekend, Dr. John stayed with us. Two days before the wedding, my sister was stressed and couldn’t sleep. John offered her Ambien. The pill was blue and in a blister pack. He gave her two, even though the […]

A whitewash of Eritrean issues

Over Labor Day weekend, while most of the city of Davis was out of town vacationing for the holiday, Freeborn Hall of UC Davis became the site for a large youth conference organized by the government of what is often referred to as “Africa’s North Korea.” Eritrea has consistently been ranked among the most oppressive […]

Fluoride toothpaste fills the bill

Our deplorable City Council, which should be on a permanent vacation, has now come up with the hair-brained idea that fluoride should be added to our water supply. Why? Who profits from this crazy proposal? I have just been brushing my teeth, using dentist-prescribed but easily available Crest Sensitivity (sodium fluoride .243 percent), Crest Pro-Health (sodium […]

Go purple to fight Alzheimer’s

Did you know that September is World Alzheimer’s Month? As a Davis resident, I will proudly show my support for individuals and families affected by Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias by “going purple” on Sept. 21, Alzheimer’s Action Day. Alzheimer’s robbed me of my mother long before she passed away. It does this to those […]