It’ll be a joyous Valentine’s Day

Over the past 14 years, many same-sex couples in Yolo County have gone to the county Clerk-Recorder’s Office to request a marriage license and have been denied. This year, for the first time, they know their request will be honored. Come celebrate this momentous occasion and thank Clerk-Recorder Freddie Oakley and her crew for their […]

Teachers deserve a pay raise

It is important for the Davis community to know that Davis teachers have not received a pay raise or cost-of-living increase in seven years! Davis teachers have the worst health benefits package of any district in the area. It’s true, we love your children.We are committed to their success. We work hard. Davis teachers shouldn’t […]

A carbon tax is key to our future

By Marvin Goldman The headlines these days are all about our Western drought and what it means for our lifestyle and near-term future. This drought is not simply a local issue but it is a part of a global climate problem. I think our drought message is telling us to do a lot more, and do […]

Say yes to people power

Congratulations to the city of Davis for taking the long view and exploring a publicly owned electric utility. Taking control of our energy not only offers the prospect of lower rates, but more importantly gives us the power to make decisions to invest in energy efficiency and solar infrastructure, meet our goals of greenhouse gas […]

Pipeline affects us all

A group of Yolo County residents met with others in Sacramento on Monday evening to protest the potential approval of the Keystone XL pipeline. When their efforts in Sacramento ended, the Yolo attendees came to Davis to combine with more Yolo residents to extend the protest here in the vicinity of Central Park. This protest […]

Take a cue from the Southland

Is the motivation behind Gov. Jerry Brown’s twin tunnel idea to facilitate fracking? There appears to be truth behind this. Southern California has a year’s worth of water saved in storage for its entire population so it can weather this dry time. As reported in the Los Angeles Times on Jan. 17, “California declares drought […]

It’s you, Mr. President

Recently, President Obama lamented that Fox News and talk radio (particularly Rush Limbaugh) had created a caricature of him that is unflattering. Indeed, he believes this has been a cause of his recent drop in popularity and a significant reason for the congressional gridlock that exists. Well, let’s consider this reasoning. His recent approval rating […]

Building an Opportunity Coalition

President Barack Obama can spend the remainder of his term planting a few more high-tech hubs, working on reforming the patent law and doing the other modest things he mentioned in his State of the Union address. And if he did that, he might do some marginal good, and he would manage the stately decline […]

End oil trains with a carbon fee and dividend

By Elisabeth Robbins Oil trains carrying highly explosive Bakken oil from North Dakota through Davis and other urban areas is a frightening thought. So is shipping Canadian tar sands through a Keystone XL pipeline, with its danger of toxic chemicals leaking into the Oglala aquifer that millions of Midwesterners depend upon for home and agricultural […]

What would you put on a Valentine’s Day card?

Chris Garrison student, Davis: “Hey girl, you lookin’ good today!” Jade Miller student, Davis: “Something cute and sentimental.” Claire Wiebe student, Davis: “I like you as much as Kanye loves Kanye.” Justin McGrew student, Davis: “Thanks for spending Valentine’s Day with me, Mom.” Dean Boswell student, Davis: “If you were a booger, I’d pick you […]

Raccoons don’t care how old you are

Dear Annie: I am 69 years old, and my lovely lady friend is 65. We’ve only been dating for seven months, but I love her very much. However, a few things about her drive me up the wall. We live apart, and that is fine — she stays with me for a week and then […]

Thanks for supporting our sale

Last Saturday, our family held a garage sale fundraiser for Mercer Veterinary Clinic for the homeless. It was a big success, raising over $700. We are grateful to the staff of The Davis Enterprise (Kim Orendor) for the story that appeared on Jan. 30, and the garage sale notice (which those in the front office […]