Heaping more indignities on air travelers

The issue: Maybe we should wear all we need, then undress in the aisles The federal government and the airline industry seem to be in a race to see which one can annoy, humiliate, inconvenience and fleece the passengers more. THE GOVERNMENT seemed to be clearly in the lead when the Transportation Security Administration introduced […]

April 12, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Two sides to every issue, always

By Bill Hollingshead My political science professor, Vernon J. Puryear, said in effect, “In political science, international relations and international diplomacy, there are always two sides to every issue, so don’t get upset before you examine both sides.” I took that as a formula for clear and critical thinking and for peace of mind. George […]

April 12, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Income tax day protest planned

Income taxes are due this year on Tuesday, April 17. Everyone who supports marriage equality is invited to come together at noon at the main Davis post office on the corner of Fifth Street and Pole Line Road. Together, we will raise public awareness regarding the way the federal government discriminates against same-sex couples who […]

April 12, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Abandon plans for Yolo airport

On March 30 the Yolo County Board of Supervisors met to consider three-year tactical plans for achieving eight goals with some 73 objectives. The board’s planning, while overly ambitious, is laudable and forward-thinking. However, one of the objectives — “airport development increased by 10 percent” as a means to the goal “champion job creation and […]

April 10, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Bicycle advocates make no judgments

Anne Slinkard raises some good points in her letter about rates of bicycling to school. A few thoughts. The point of Davis Bicycles! raising these issues at the school board meeting was not to vilify special programs but merely to raise a question about what they imply for parents’ decision to allow their children to […]

April 10, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Jobless rate falls, but it’s still bad news

The issue: Economic recovery has slowed, and that bodes ill for Obama March’s jobless rate was 8.2 percent, a good number, the lowest level in three years and continuing a steady monthly decline that began last August, and that’s how the White House will spin it. BUT THERE’S no getting around the fact that the […]

April 11, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Let your kids get down and dirty

“If anything ever happened, everyone would look at me and think, ‘She’s not a good mother.’ ” That’s what the wife of a friend of mine told me last week when I asked why she won’t let her son, who is in the sixth grade (not in Davis) ride his bike one mile to school […]

April 11, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Why give up without a fight?

It was very disappointing to read The Davis Enterprise summary of the Davis City Council meeting on Tuesday night that portrayed the discussion of the Crown Castle project as a “done deal.” What the article missed was the extent and persistence of the public outcry against the Crown Castle application — the emphasis on the […]

Let’s vote to keep Davis special

I was disappointed last week to hear Brett Lee’s comment “I would like a planned, controlled way of relaxing height restrictions” in the first Davis City Council debate. Lee went on to emphasize that the four-story Chen Building was an example of an appropriate height for downtown buildings. Stop and think for a moment about […]

No double-speak from Garamendi

At the recent Davis Chamber of Commerce lunch, I heard a speech by Congressman John Garamendi, who is running in the new 3rd District, which includes Davis. I was very impressed to hear a very clear statement of his views. He spoke about the need for investments in education and infrastructure, and promoting manufacturing in America. He supports a […]

Check out library programs

It’s getting closer by the minute and before we know it, summer will be upon us. This summer, the Yolo County Library will again be offering fun programs for children, teens and adults. If you or someone you know will be in town during the summer, drop by your Yolo County Library branch starting June […]

April 12, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Avoid wasting public money

With reference to the Forum piece, “Davis Cemetery: more than a resting place” (April 6), 10 years ago the Davis Cemetery was a dog run. In fact, the Internet advertised it as the best dog run in Northern California. The members of the board did not see anything wrong with that use. It took more […]