Open Letter from a Parent to Chancellor

My child is in your PhD program and I have spent thousands of dollars in support of his efforts at your school. I am shocked and dismayed by the criminal behavior of your police force. It very much reminds me of the shock and dismay I felt when I witnessed the events at Kent State […]

Police Pepper Spray UCD Student

Dear Editor, I am another UC Davis alum who is outraged by the show of force on Friday by the Campus Police against the peacefully protesting students. The video shows a formation of police, fully attired in riot gear and armed with rifles of some sort. We soon watch them spray the students with yellow […]

New images stir old memories

I am old enough to recall watching black and white TV coverage of Southern police firehosing civil rights activists some 5o years ago. The UC Berkley police have shown the world the high tech 21st century version of this image. I predict tonight’s video images of this gratuitous police thugery may become the beginning of […]

UC Davis Police Brutality

When I saw the video of the police brutality on the UC Davis campus yesterday it made me wonder if the UC Regents, the UC Davis chancellor and the UC Davis police had just attended a workshop conducted by Bashar al-Assad of Syria on how to extinguish dissident behavior. I could hardly believe my eyes […]

Open Letter to Chancellor Katehi

I am an alumnus of this great university (’82). I have watched as your predecessors have brought UC Davis from low in the university rankings to one of the great research institutions in the world. And all of this has been tarnished by your one decision to evict a small number of peaceful protesters expressing […]

Katehi and Spicuzza Must Resign

As a UC Davis alumnus and lifetime Alumni Association member, I’m outraged at the actions of the campus police (UCDPD) on Friday. I’m ashamed that the police force at my alma matter used pepper spray on its own students, yet proud of the students’ mature and principled adherence to peaceful civil disobedience during and after […]

Nothing less acceptable

When you hire someone to do a job, 2 things are expected: that the person has the ability to do the job, and the maturity to make tough decisions in dicy situations. The ability to know whether you have made the right decision or not, however, might not be known until after the person has […]

pepper spray coverage

Cory Golden’s coverage of the pepper spray incident was thorough. However, I was disappointed that he felt it necessary to suggest that photos and videos were posted only on “left-leaning websites.” For years, mainstream media have passed on what they consider “news” from conservative sources without labeling them “right-leaning.” Anyone who has viewed the video […]

Back off on rush to judgment

Why are some critics so quick to call for the resignation or dismissal of Chancellor Linda Katehi at UC Davis? Their demands are at odds with the apparent facts of the pepper spray incident. Did she give the order for the spraying? Is she responsible for whatever campus police policy and practices that may have […]

Katehi not of Aggie family

Linda Katehi is quoted as feeling ‘saddened’ at the police action on the Davis campus.  In letters, students, faculty, citizens and alumni have universally avoided ‘sad’ and instead found meaningful adjectives to explain emotions triggered by the brutal pepper spraying of non-violent student protesters: appalled, enraged, grief-stricken, angry, amazed, disbelieving, to name a few. Some […]

She has everything she wants

Dear Annie: For the past three years, I have been in a committed relationship with “Kathleen.” We truly love each other, and I have been like a father to her 10-year-old son, “Brandon.” The problem is, Kathleen is 46 and still lives at home with a mother who rules the roost. Mom has been hostile […]

Ruining it for the rest of them

Dear Annie: My son is in the second grade at a terrific private school. Unfortunately, there is an out-of-control boy who has been in his class since kindergarten. “Boyd” is in the principal’s office nearly every day because he throws temper tantrums, curses the teacher, bullies and otherwise behaves inappropriately. The principal usually lectures him […]