Is your office ready for dogs’ day out?

By Nick Thomas They say every dog has his day. This year, that day is Friday, June 22, when the 14th national Take Your Dog to Work Day will be held. The event is promoted by Pet Sitters International (see www.takeyourdog.com if you think I’m pulling your paw). Once again, dog owners throughout North America […]

June 15, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Promotion in al-Qaida is quick, if deadly

The issue: Pakistan’s Haqqani network also a dangerous place to be a leader For an ambitious young terrorist looking for quick promotion, it’s hard to beat al-Qaida as an organization. Al-Qaida’s No. 2 position opened up again recently after a U.S. drone killed Abu Yahya al-Libi, who had been functioning as a general operations manager […]

June 15, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Mother’s stress causing trouble

Dear Annie: I’m 16 years old and deeply worried about my mother. I believe she has an undiagnosed anxiety disorder that’s getting worse. She constantly stresses about every little thing. I can’t remember the last time I saw her totally relaxed. Mom once had a panic attack so severe that she strained several muscles, causing […]

I’ll lead no-tax campaign

The deception of the school board to Davis residents is evident after the passage of Measure C. The board insists that even after passing Measure C, it still wants more of your money. Not only will it renew Measure A, approved deceptively as an “emergency measure,” but now one of the members is proposing a […]

June 14, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Bike path signage needed

The recent well-meaning but confused letters regarding the proper side of multi-use paths for pedestrians underscores the need for clear, consistent and simple signage. In my experience, most of the major multi-use trail systems (American River Parkway, Sacramento River, Folsom,Roseville, California State Parks) all advise pedestrians to walk/run/stroller on the left side of a multi-use […]

June 14, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Direct democracy benefits Davis Food Co-op

By Lucas Frerichs and Julie Cross As an independent retailer, you might think the Davis Food Co-op doesn’t have a whole lot of leverage, particularly when compared to grocery stores that have hundreds of locations. The truth is, however, that we have plenty of juice — the collective power of 11,000 owners, a community that […]

June 14, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Spy agency magically produces two space telescopes

The issue: Not allowing NASA to pursue its mission with this windfall equipment would be a waste of money already spent It has long been a part of American folklore that Uncle Sam has packed away in secret warehouses all sorts of useful and intriguing artifacts — complete World War II Jeeps packed in sealed […]

June 14, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Come to help, stay for the meds

Dear Annie: I had several surgeries during the past year and needed help from friends during my recovery. They have been generous with their time, caring for me and my three boys so my husband could work. They even helped with meals and chores. I have paid them in cash and gifts to show my […]

Stop these illegal detentions

By Claude Garrod We, the undersigned Davis community groups, call on President Obama, our congressional candidate John Garamendi, and our U.S. senators, Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein, to take immediate steps to repeal detention powers under the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2012, which they supported. This act could “give future presidents the […]

June 13, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Keep U.N. hands off the Internet

The issue: If the treaty passes, we should ignore it on the grounds that it violates our First Amendment Here’s a bad idea that keeps recurring: Turn control of the Internet over to the United Nations. A GROUP OF NATIONS, led by the usual suspects — China and Russia — and joined shamefully by Brazil […]

June 13, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Her friend is wasting away

Dear Annie: I know that anorexia is not uncommon in teenage girls, but I never thought I would see the signs in my best friend. “Emmy” always complains about the way she looks and is constantly focused on her weight. She makes sure everyone else eats, but I rarely see her put a bite in […]