State Department creates ‘virtual embassy’ for Iran

The issue: For now, the Internet will have to supplant a brick-and-mortar presence Tehran and Washington have not had diplomatic relations since 1979. Last week, the State Department launched a possible means of circumventing that lack of communication — an online virtual U.S. Embassy. THE IRANIAN GOVERNMENT immediately moved to block the site, with one […]

Politics trumps science on Plan B contraception pill

The issue: Decision removes a source of conflict between the Obama administration and the Catholic church and social conservatives The Obama administration stunned physicians’ groups and women’s health advocates by overruling, almost literally at the last second, a decision by the Food and Drug Administration, thoroughly vetted by its scientific advisory groups, to allow the open […]

That $1.2 billion? It’s around here somewhere

The issue: Congress should quit bleating about the perils of federal regulation and ensure that this doesn’t happen again Misplacing $1.2 billion is not a problem for most of us, at least in the circles in which we circulate. But there was John Corzine before a congressional committee explaining that $1.2 billion of his customers’ […]

KDVS needs the landfill tower

By Neil Ruud The current KDVS radio tower on Kerr Hall causes telecommunication interference and is not tall enough to legally protect KDVS’ signal beyond the immediate area. In 1996, KDVS’ staff started researching potential sites to build a taller tower and legally protect its listeners in Yolo County and beyond. Throughout this 15-year process, […]

No real wish to improve

Dear Annie: I married “Henry” five years ago. It was my second marriage and his third. Henry thinks he is easy to get along with, but I find it difficult to communicate with him. If he doesn’t like what you say, you are wrong. Last year, Henry had an affair, and we went for counseling. […]

As we age, how much do we want to know?

A couple of days after Thanksgiving, my family members and I, older generation and younger generation, were discussing a disturbing recent incident where I had a memory lapse. After several minutes, we found ourselves with a pressing question and no clear answer. “Write a column about it!” someone urged. “Ask other people what they would […]

They gave their lives, and they deserved better

I want to know how this can happen in our country. More than that, I want to know who is responsible, and I want him or her put behind bars. According to an Associated Press story on Dec. 7 (how disgustingly ironic — on the 60th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor), the cremated […]

Drunk daughter on the edge

Dear Annie: I have three daughters, the youngest of whom is 45. “Susan” has not been in a relationship for five years, and she has a severe drinking problem. She has had two DWI convictions and lost her license for a year. She received the usual counseling, did public service, paid a hefty fine and […]

Keep pets safe over the holidays

The holiday season provides a wonderful opportunity to enjoy time with family — both two-legged and four-legged. Certain precautions must be made, however, to keep the holidays safe and happy for dogs and cats. The Christmas tree provides a number of possible risks, although these can often be minimized. Electrical cords that power the Christmas […]

Mother-in-law remains absent

Dear Annie: I have been married to my husband for more than nine years and still have a problem with my mother-in-law. When I had a bridal shower, Mom didn’t reply, didn’t show up and never sent a card. This made me feel unwelcome. (She still has a picture of my husband and his ex-girlfriend […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; (202) 456-1111; fax: (202) 456-2461; email: president@whitehouse.gov U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3841; fax: (202) 228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House […]

Rate methodology is troublesome

Somehow, the city of Davis as a water district must increase its revenue 14 percent without regard to how much water is used. So the less water the total city uses, the higher the rates are going to have to be to cover the total bill for the year. Just before Proposition 13, property values […]