He’s sick *and* attached? Go for it!

Dear Annie: Last month, an old boyfriend contacted me. I hadn’t seen “Bud” in 30 years. We had a wonderful conversation. I visited him at his home. He even sent me a large sum of money to help pay off a mortgage bill. We now talk at least twice a day and always say “I […]

Taxpayers taken for a ride on subsidized flights

The issue: Cutting this expensive program should be a priority Tired of jostling lines to board overcrowded aircraft? Jammed overhead bins? Being wedged into the middle seat with the passenger in front of you reclining in your lap? The taxpayers have a solution for that, but it involves flying to and from destinations like Ely, […]

May 29, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Vote for collaboration, sustainability

By Steve Greenfield, Gregg Herrington, Kemble Pope, Michael Bisch, Janis Lott and Tom Cross Sustainability is like a three-legged stool. One leg represents social issues, another represents the environment and the third leg is economic development. To achieve a level, sturdy and enduring stool, all three legs must be kept equally strong or fear tipping […]

May 29, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Downspiraling through the nine circles of big city bureaucracy

I have, sitting in front of me, a reporter’s notepad covered in phone numbers. The sight of it irks me. I’m no fun when I’m irked. The phone numbers were scrawled there during my search for the arrest information of a drunken driver who injured a Winters boy after a day of fishing with his […]

May 27, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Hats off to DHS team for honoring veterans

It’s always with special pride that we observe Memorial Day, reflecting on the commitment and sacrifice of our veterans and what that has meant to the United States and to the well-being of the world. THIS YEAR, The Enterprise is doubly proud to acknowledge a sincere contribution to the spirit of Memorial Day. In a […]

May 27, 2012 | Posted in Blue Devils | Tagged ,

When you turn 65, you get a big chunk of homework

A friend asked me what it was like to turn 65. “It’s such a big date in our culture,” she said. She was giving me a chance to express sadness about aging, but I hadn’t had time to feel sad; I was too busy signing up for Medicare. If that sounds like an exaggeration, you […]

They’ve already crossed a line

Dear Annie: I’m in my early 20s and have been dating “Aidan” for a year. He attends college two hours away. He doesn’t socialize much and stresses a lot about his grades. His only real friend is “Cara,” a girl we went to high school with. Cara lives in a house with several other girls. […]

Focus on Health: Take charge to reduce breast-cancer risks

When it comes to our health, no one likes to be surprised. Although most abnormalities detected in the breast are not cancerous or life-threatening, most breast cancers are invasive, which is why early detection through screening is important. Think about this: * 230,480 cases of invasive breast cancer were estimated to be diagnosed in 2011 […]

Trying to understand the inexplicable

I’ll admit it. I’m fascinated with Clint Parish. I’d like to have him over for dinner and pick his brain to see what makes him tick. To be honest, I’ve never come across a candidate quite like him. Relentless in pursuit of office, reckless with his opponent’s reputation and unwilling to utter a simple “I’m […]

May 25, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Keep it to yourself, Mom

Dear Annie: I am becoming excessively annoyed by a new trend I’m seeing with my friends who have recently become parents — the “naked mommy.” I’m 27 and have not yet had children. Several of my friends are having their second or third, but most are on their first. I work in a physician’s office, […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; (202) 456-1111; fax: (202) 456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3841; fax: (202) 228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House […]

May 27, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

What do you think: What does Memorial Day mean to you?

David Achimore graduate student, Davis: “It’s a time of reflection, for all of those who have served.” Phillip Yi student, Davis: “I think it’s about spending time with family and friends and going on trips.” Michelle Chiu student, Davis: “Going places you usually can’t go, taking the day off.” Ivan Butler Ph.D. student, Davis: “Since […]

May 27, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Are you ready to cherish a child?

Learn more What: Foster care orientation sessions When and where: 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, June 5, Stephens Branch Library, 315 E. 14th St. in Davis; 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, June 19, Turner Branch Library, 1212 Merkley Ave. in West Sacramento Info: Cherie Schroeder, (530) 574-1964; www.yolofostercare.com By Aimee Deem May is National Foster Care Month. To foster […]

Challenger doesn’t measure up

By John Poulos The voters of Yolo County are presented with a contested election for the office of Yolo Superior Court judge. Contested judicial elections are rare enough to warrant a discussion of the unique requirements for this office. How should you, the voter, assess the qualifications of the two candidates: Dan Maguire, who is […]