Unfair political activity decried

Now with the final results certified from the June 5 election, I express my thanks to Autumn Labbé-Renault of Davis Media Access for organizing the televised forum regarding Measure D on May 22 and for encouraging the Davis League of Women Voters to play a fair role in conducting it. I also thank proponent Alan […]

June 22, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged , ,

People do care about vintage homes

I enjoyed Kim Orendor’s June 14 article about Brad and Nancy Van Sant’s 50th anniversary celebration in Brad’s former family home, now the Village Pizza and Grill. However, the story incorrectly reported that developer Chuck Roe tried to give away the house to build something else on the land, but had no takers. This is […]

It’s a statement of hate

The discovery of a noose at Davis High School stadium last Friday sends a message of hatred; it is a crime and an attempt to intimidate. It is a message that is in complete opposition to the values that we, citizens of Davis, practice every day. Be assured that the Human Relations Commission is already […]

Teach empathy in response to hate

By Cecilia Escamilla-Greenwald A noose was found hanging from the goal post at Davis High School and some people say it was a prank. This is the same high school where, nearly 30 years ago, Thong Hy Huynh was stabbed to death in a hateful, race-related act and where hateful messages have been spray-painted on […]

June 22, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged , ,

Steroid era isn’t over with Clemens case

The issue: The temptation will always be there to be faster, higher, stronger The Olympic motto, unofficially since 1894, officially since 1924, is “Citius, Altius, Fortuis” — faster, higher, stronger. Note that it is not just a simple “fast, high, strong.” The comparative form suggests continuous improvement. SINCE MANKIND — and its animals; let us […]

June 22, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged , ,

Not a good sign for the future

Dear Annie: I am engaged to a man who was divorced 20 years ago. He has three grown sons. The first two are doing well, but the third is still not financially responsible at the age of 30. His father has to pay off his automobile and credit cards. My fiance also helps out his […]

Greece gets time; Egypt gets a military junta

The issue: Elections offer no solutions, only delays In elections over the weekend, Greece bought itself some badly needed time while Egypt bought itself trouble it really didn’t need after the past year’s turmoil. THE GREEKS voted to continue in office the conservative New Democratic Party and its coalition partners, the same elected officials who […]

June 21, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

What are they thinking?

With regard to Jeff Hudson’s story Tuesday: “MPR fate, parcel tax on agenda”: The school board seems to think money grows on trees. Is anyone on the school board concerned about spending $500,000 to tear down one of the largest meeting spaces on the Davis High School campus when the district has no money for […]

June 21, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

The U.N. and the Internet

The June 12 Our View, “Keep U.N. Hands off the Internet,” regrettably misleads the reader, creating a misperception that the United Nations is taking unilateral action to censor and control the Internet. Nothing could be further from the truth. While the editorial begins by identifying that select nations — namely,  Russia and China — have […]

Time is a precious resource

I realize that our schools are trying desperately to make due with ever-dwindling resources. So allow me to make a humble suggestion. What if the schools devoted the last week or two of the school year to … education? I realize that this would cut into the DVD-viewing and general tomfoolery that dominates the final […]

Reconsider Tree Division cuts

By Laura Westrup The city of Davis Tree Commission is greatly concerned about the city’s proposed 2012-13 fiscal year budget recommendation to eliminate two staff positions, tree trimmer I and tree trimmer II. I believe this short-sighted action will critically impact the health and vigor of the city’s urban forest, consisting today of more than […]

June 21, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

After all the taking, no giving

Dear Annie: I am 47 years old, and my mother is 80. I have three grown children and a 7-year-old daughter whose father is not in her life, nor does he pay child support, even though he earns a decent income. I recently have had some personal setbacks. My hours were cut at work, and […]