If only for your pocketbook …

As a proud parent of two children in the Davis Unified School District, I strongly encourage everyone to vote yes on Measure C and mail your ballot this week to assure that this critical measure passes. Without Measure C, one of the strongest school systems in the state will be financially crippled, and the aftereffects […]

Why Syria is not another Libya

Since the embers of the Arab Spring flared up 13 months ago, when a Tunisian street vendor named Mohamed Bouazizi set himself on fire, the repressive leaders of Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and Yemen have all fallen. Although the mass protests in Bahrain were successfully doused last March, the conflagration in Syria is still burning hot. […]

Still mommy’s little girl

Dear Annie: My wife and I have been married for 20 years. She has a grown daughter from her first marriage. I watched “Lori” grow up and love her as my own. My wife always has been fiercely defensive of Lori. I can’t say anything remotely negative or critical about her without risking a big […]

Three for three?

Dear Annie: In my 22 years, I have had only two serious boyfriends. After both relationships ended in heartbreak, I decided to give myself a breather from men. Nine months later, I met Chris. We grew close in a short period of time, but the relationship had its flaws. Once, we were arguing, and I […]

We should use our light wisely

The University of California’s motto of “fiat lux,” meaning “let there be light,” is a great principle to guide us in learning and other current issues facing the university. But there should be limits and “cut-offs” as it applies to the lights under the new West Village carports. The glare from these lights is bothersome […]

Cottonwood is ‘hotel get well’

I have a lung disease called COPD. Recently, I caught pneumonia and went to the hospital for 13 days. Then I needed a nursing facility. My family chose (thank God!) Cottonwood Post-Acute Rehab and Skilled Nursing in Woodland. There, it was like living in a comfortable hotel full of nice people who are medically trained […]

Let’s correct school funding

Measure C is a no-brainer. I am well qualified for no-brainers. I have voted in favor of it. To do otherwise would be to short-change following generations. However, I feel like a gun was held to my head. The reality is that the funding should come from the billionaires who are not paying their fair share […]

A fairer way to offer support

I know that parcel taxes such as the one currently being decided by Davis voters by law cannot be based on property values, thus every homeowner is levied the same amount, regardless of their ability to pay. Can anyone come up with a logical reason why this is the case? Most of us liberal Davisites […]

Don’t try this ‘exparimint’

Here’s a compelling reason to vote yes on Measure C: from a poster I saw in England during the Thatcher/Major era when the government cut funds for community libraries: “Close our libaries and see wot hapens” (sic, sic and more sic). Let’s not try this “exparimint” in our schools. Please vote yes on Measure C. […]

Librarians endorse Measure C

Does your child enjoy reading and books?  Did you know that if you’re reading this in the presence of your child, you are setting a positive example for lifelong reading?  Are you in a book club or do you enjoy discussing what you read with others?  Do you need answers to life’s pressing questions on […]

A tale of old-fashioned heroes

The Veterans of Foreign Wars devoted its January 2003 issue of the magazine to the question “Heroism: Are war heroes out of style?” The commander-in-chief, Raymond S. Sisk, in his editorial, commented that “If ever a word was abused, it is hero. The news media’s inappropriate application of the term has left Americans dulled. Many […]

Rustbucket grudge

Dear Annie: We live in a new neighborhood and take pride in the appearance of our home and yard. We were very pleased when new neighbors bought the house next door and moved in. Unfortunately, they have a rusting vintage car that’s parked in the driveway next to our yard. I can see it from […]

From the divine feminine to Girl Scout cookies, it’s the same continuum

Every time you eat a Girl Scout cookie, a fetus dies. Or so Indiana lawmaker Bob Morris would like you to believe. According to the Associated Press, Morris labeled the Girl Scouts “a radical group that promotes abortions and homosexuality” and that “people should not accept the 100-year-old scouting organization as a benevolent group.” Morris […]