Kudos to DWR, Yolo landfill

The Yolo-Solano Air Quality Management District has completed another successful mower exchange, taking more than a hundred high-emission gas lawn mowers out of the community and spreading the use of no-emission electric mowers. The program, however, simply wouldn’t work without the incredible help of our local recycling facilities. Davis Waste Removal and the Yolo County […]

June 21, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Walk to the right on bike paths

Before anybody rushes to install signs telling pedestrians to walk on the left on bike paths, they should ride their bike around Capitol Park in Sacramento where pedestrian and bicycle traffic can be dense. There, the pedestrians follow the commonly accepted convention that slower traffic keeps right and faster traffic passes on the left. It […]

June 22, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged , ,

Chávez students read, too!

Many thanks to Kevin Clayton, Kaitlyn Lagattuta, Angie Goth, Vivian Au and Mandy Zheng for their inspiring article advocating summer reading. Probably due to space restraints, some schools’ lists of preferred books were omitted. Just so everyone knows how enthusiastic students from César Chávez Elementary School are about reading, we invite all to view our […]

June 20, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Parents should pay monthly fee

What Richard Harris wants to do is his business. But how his action impacts our society is everybody’s business. Davis has a chronic problem with shortage of funding for education. Since it is a man-made problem, it can be solved through human ingenuity. The primary responsibility of bringing up children rests with parents and not with […]

Ailing Chavez tries for one more term

The issue: Venezuela would be better served if he concentrated on his health, letting his people get their country back It is only stating the obvious that Venezuelan strongman Hugo Chavez’s days are numbered. In the unlikely but not impossible event that his 39-year-old challenger, Miranda state Gov. Henrique Capriles, doesn’t get him in the […]

June 20, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Find your pot of gold in Winters

If you are over 35 years old and you don’t vigorously exercise on a regular basis, the idea of waking up early on a Saturday morning, mounting your bicycle and riding 30 miles to Winters and back may seem downright ghastly. It’s one thing to pedal a mile or two at a slow and safe […]

June 20, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Rethink tree trimmers’ cuts

I was saddened and dismayed to read of the recent layoffs of city parks personnel, especially as they come after the recent election in which Davis voters overwhelmingly approved a tax measure to help fund our parks. I am especially disturbed to learn that tree trimmers are among those to feel the ax. Recently, we […]

Our urban forest needs care

I don’t envy City Manager Steve Pinkerton. His task — bringing the city’s budget into line with reality — is difficult and, in many ways, thankless. But was it necessary to eliminate two positions from Parks and Urban Forest Management Division, effectively gutting it and depriving it of all field staff? I have served on […]

Animal deaths are unnecessary

I commend the recent op-ed piece, “This sad problem can be fixed,” as a clear and compelling call to action by everyone in our community who cares about the welfare of companion animals. A “live release rate” at the Yolo County animal shelter hovering at 50 percent translates into the deaths of hundreds cats, kittens, […]

June 19, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Granda’s energy is misdirected

Jose Granda is fond of referring to school board members as liars and cheats. In his recent letter, he uses some form of the word “deceit” six times to describe them — including when he incorrectly avers that the board promoted Measure C as a strategy for eliminating teacher pink slips — and when he […]

Please run for school board

Jose Granda, if you feel that strongly that the school board is doing a bad job, please run for school board this winter. You seem to have all the answers to our problems. Peter Carroll Davis

Thanks; I’m eager to get going

I wish to thank the community for electing me to the City Council with such strong support. It’s very humbling. I also wish to thank the countless volunteers who helped on the campaign in so many ways, including taking lawn signs, sitting at the Farmers Market, walking precincts, hosting meet-and-greets and donating time and money. […]

Our green commitment is essential

By Sid England If there were a solar array, a biodegradable plate or a more energy-efficient building created for every time someone used the word “sustainable,” the world would be just that. Like so many things, the definition of sustainability depends on who is defining it. The University of California — four of whose campuses, […]

Parties should pay for their own conventions

The issue: Bill would ban future taxpayer contributions The two major parties’ political conventions are delightful anachronisms. The candidates are generally known well in advance: In President Barack Obama’s case, having no challengers, since January 2009; in the case of Mitt Romney, who did have challengers, since May, almost three full months before the GOP […]

June 19, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,