A harsher side to rowing

I read with great interest Bruce Gallaudet’s recent profile of Yolo County rowing (“Competitive and recreational, rowing grows in Yolo County,” March 20). While his gushing revealed a positive intention, he failed to offer a basic tenet of journalism: a balanced perspective that shows “both sides.” A lifelong athlete, I joined a Division I women’s […]

April 01, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Find out where the candidates stand

I have a real problem with the proposed city ordinances to ban plastic bags and burning in fireplaces. Although I do not use plastic bags (I take my own paper or cloth bags to the grocery) and do not burn logs in my fireplace, I consider it extremely offensive that a handful of so-called “environmentalists” […]

April 01, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Take the Cool California challenge

Yes, Davis is Cool! Almost 200 people showed up last week to watch “Your Environmental Road Trip,” affectionately known as “YERT.” The Cool Davis Initiative presented the movie as a community environmental awareness event and a kickoff for the Cool California Challenge. Starting Sunday, Davis residents can sign up online at www.cooldavis.org/challenge to help Davis […]

March 29, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Stay well clear of vehicles

Robb Davis is right to point out the hazards to bicyclists associated with “dooring” (Davis Bicycles! column, March 23). Motorists and cyclists also should be aware that the careless opening of vehicle doors into moving traffic is a citable offense in the state vehicle code: CVC22517. “No person shall open the door of a vehicle […]

Big changes for political watchdog

From the moment it was created as part of the 1974 Proposition 9 political reform initiative, California’s Fair Political Practices Commission has operated on the presumption that politicians and their most active campaign aides and backers should never be fully trusted. But that underlying approach has seemed to change gradually under the leadership of the […]

March 30, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Etch A Sketch as political metaphor

The issue: Romney aide’s gaffe is a boon to American toy maker When balloons drop at the GOP convention, it may be one of the lasting ironies of the campaign that a badly chosen simile by a top Mitt Romney aide may have done more to help the economy — at least one small corner […]

March 30, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Are we there yet? Silence would be golden for silver screen reruns

As our kids have gotten older, my husband and I have had a lot of fun watching movies with them that we’d really liked when they first came out. Next up in our Netflix queue is “Raising Arizona,” because on a recent sick-day for my 15-year-old son, we watched “Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?” It […]

March 29, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

A first step to bolster Chinese instruction

By Amy Kapatkin, Rui Chen and Ying Fang The earlier children learn a second language, the more likely they are to master it. Although the Davis Joint Unified School District supports five world languages, there is bias toward Spanish and French because they are the only two languages offered at the junior high level. Theoretically, […]

March 29, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Jobs: It’s the problem that won’t go away

The issue: Many unemployed are being left behind as the economy recovers The United States soon may face a problem that has bedeviled Europe’s industrialized nations — endemic and chronic unemployment — and the nation’s leaders are making little effort to prepare for it. SURVEYING THE platforms of the presidential hopefuls, Scripps Howard News Service […]

March 29, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

We used to use English properly

“The Wary I” has made yet one more contribution to the great plastic-bag debate (March 22). But that’s not all. The columnist has found time to offer “let’s call him Alan” free advice on how to write. Alan’s memo, it seems, could have been improved by capitalizing the first “T” in “The Enterprise” and by […]

He should be ‘The Forgetful I’

Columnist Bob Dunning, who authors the “The Wary I” in The Enterprise, should consider changing the name of his column to “The Forgetful I” as he seems to have a problem remembering what he wrote in the past and getting his facts straight. In his March 22 column, Dunning claims I should consult my libel […]