Sports physicals were a breeze

The athletics department at Davis High School would like to thank Sutter Davis Family Practice for its generous donation of time and talent to our annual Sports Physical Clinic. This clinic is a tremendous benefit and convenience for our athletes. More than 120 students took advantage of this clinic and are now set and ready […]

Protect yourself against ticks

As a Davis resident, and vice president of the California Lyme Disease Association, I was pleased to read about UC Davis’ compelling research into how Lyme bacteria can evade the body’s immune system. More investigation of this critical topic is desperately needed. However, the article’s following statement gives the wrong impression: “Lyme occurs mainly in […]

The Outstanding Mother Award

I’m hoping you might publish this letter Sunday, on Father’s Day, in honor of my dear friend Karma Waltonen, a Davis resident for more than a decade, and the mother I know who is most deserving of an award for her overall awesomeness. Karma’s son Alexander just graduated from Da Vinci High School last week […]

The president is a citizen, period

A letter writer says Barack Obama was ordered by a court in August 2008 to produce his birth certificate, but he “avoided doing so.” According to the independent and respected website Snopes, however, which analyzes rumors on the Internet, the suit filed at that time against Obama was, in fact, dismissed. There was no such court […]

Republicans behave nicely at debate

The issue: Decorum reigned at first official campaign event Republicans have gained a reputation for over-the-top rhetoric and ferocious campaigning, even against their own. But the seven presidential candidates at Monday’s New Hampshire debate were modest, restrained and politely declined or sidestepped CNN moderator John King’s repeated invitations to attack each other. THE CANDIDATE who […]

Photography can lift your spirit

Get involved What: Photography Club of Davis When: Next meeting is at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 13 Where: Blanchard Room, Stephens Branch Library, 315 E. 14th St., Davis Info: http://www.photoclubofdavis.org By Samer Alassaad We have long relied on art to express our views, seek answers about our surroundings, meditate and therefore heal ourselves and make […]

Accept an invitation to a ‘Gypsy Wedding’

Stop what you’re doing and run to your DVR to record “My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.” Set it up to record them all, because believe me, you don’t want to miss a moment of this spectacle! Originally a British production now airing on TLC, this show is a documentary, a term I’m using loosely since […]

Here’s how to eat well on a budget

Neither Bob Dunning nor Mariko Yamada has a clue as to how one eats well on a minimal budget, in my not-so-humble opinion. Forget about any canned or prepared foods, which are expensive even from Costco. Make soups/stews from relatively cheap, in-season, raw vegetables (like cabbage, onions, carrots, celery, green beans, a potato), grains from […]

When posting, be like Ol’ Blue Eyes

“Regrets, I’ve had a few, but then again, too few to mention.” — Frank Sinatra, from the song “My Way” Sinatra may be the only one who counts his regrets “too few to mention.” And Rep. Anthony Weiner, the congressman who is just the latest public figure to post and regret, isn’t alone in his […]

Mom cuts off grandmother

Dear Annie: Two years ago, my son began dating “Layla,” who then became pregnant. I went out of my way to include her in our family. I bought maternity clothes and baby outfits, took her out for lunch and paid for her to join us on a family cruise. Layla emailed everyone to stay away […]

Race and social justice letters

Make this a required class Our Race and Social Justice group has explored the racial inequalities at Davis High. With the data we collected, we have been surprised by how many students are treated unequally base on race. Davis High has experienced its fair share of hate crimes. Just this year, during the Davis High […]

Planning for Libya after Gadhafi

The issue: The U.S. should not let the lessons it learned in Iraq after Saddam go to waste Moammar Gadhafi has shown great tenacity in clinging to power in Libya, even as the pace of defections and NATO air attacks quickens. IN A RECORDING played over state TV, the Libyan leader said he would never […]