Younger woman catches his eye

Dear Annie: I am a 44-year-old single guy with no kids, never married. I look younger than my age and could probably pass for 34. I recently met this beautiful girl who is a senior in college. She seemed very nice and is probably 21 or 22 years old. I thought that maybe the next […]

Only one way to protect yourself

Dear Annie: Recently, my sister, “Linda,” became furious when a friend of mine politely declined to do an unreasonable favor. Rather than accept no for an answer, she tried to manipulate other people into strong-arming him into changing his mind. When that didn’t work, she caused a scene and stormed out. While such behavior is […]

The downside of having a pet is dreading ‘that day’

If there’s one thing that’ll make you forget all about your own troubles, it’s when someone you love gets sick. Even when that someone is covered with fur. If you’ve been visiting this space long enough, you’ve heard many stories about my little fur people, Angelo and Milo. Just like their owner, they’re getting on […]

The leech in his natural environment

Dear Annie: I work in a small office with 10 people. We all work on commission. The problem is the boss’s nephew. “Randy” does as little as possible to get by and is a total leech. I know he doesn’t make much on commission, because he rarely gets any work done. He’s too busy on […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; (202) 456-1111; fax: (202) 456-2461; email: president@whitehouse.gov U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3841; fax: (202) 228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House […]

Changes to Proposition 13 could become a necessity

For starters when talking about possible changes to Proposition 13, it’s important never to forget that, as with other California initiatives passed at the ballot box, the landmark property tax-cutting measure that passed handily in 1978 can only be changed via a popular vote. It’s just as important to know that the regulations and definitions […]

How a family and a city can make a difference

Fourteen years ago, my wife Kathy and I moved to Davis. I was looking forward to working with the school district and we were both excited about living in this new community. Davis seemed like the kind of town we would really enjoy and also be a great community for retirement. We were one of the […]

Mobilize UC volunteers for 55% petition

By Carol Crabill Let’s nick the third rail of California politics. It’s time to repeal California’s two-thirds requirement for the Legislature to pass new taxes, a major component of Proposition 13, which has devastated public education and infrastructure. Last summer’s “What’s Next California?” poll indicated that the majority of registered voters would support an initiative […]

Paterno should know that minimum isn’t enough

The issue: Legendary coach’s career is over, and it’s a tragedy all around There is an old saying that all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. The saying should be amended to good men doing the minimum the regulations require. MAKE NO MISTAKE: Penn State football coach […]

What do you think: How have the sacrifices of veterans affected your life?

Beyley Chen housewife, Davis: “When I watch the news, I feel bad. It’s sad, especially for mothers.” Nicole Magliari student, Davis: “My whole family’s in the military, so I’m reminded of their sacrifices every day.” Lena Kendall student, Davis: “My brother’s in the military. I’m grateful for all (veterans’) sacrifices, whether or not they’re my […]

Work in progress: For what should I give thanks?

With Thanksgiving approaching, I’m thinking about what I should be thankful for. Three separate moments from the weekend give me clues. Like verses of a song, they come together to form a theme. The main event of the weekend is the arrival of our son, 26, from Minneapolis for a conference in San Francisco. My […]

Remember their sacrifices

Dear Readers: Today is Veterans Day. In honor of our veterans, here is a piece written by John Alton Robinson of West Monroe, La. ”Freedom” From the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier To the silver-haired crowns of our fathers From the shores of Tripoli To the Pacific’s pearl-green waters I wish to give a tribute […]

Helping UNICEF makes you feel good

We are writing to you about UNICEF. On Halloween, all the Davis schools get little cardboard boxes to trick-or-treat for UNICEF. Some kids do it, but we think that a lot more could. If all the kids in every school did it, in one evening we could raise thousands of dollars. To kids: UNICEF helps […]

DAC Holiday Sale is coming up

Save the dates for the Davis Art Center’s 21st annual Holiday Sale…Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Dec. 2, 3 and 4. This event features items from 70 local artisans, a pottery painting studio, hands-on children’s arts and crafts, the Wall of Art silent auction, the Children’s Secret Store and our famous Soup Café. The Children’s Secret Store […]