A failure to communicate

Dear Annie: I’m a young man fresh out of high school and taking life one day at a time. ”Rachel” is my best friend. I’ve known her family for many years. We confide in each other and have no walls. She’s quirky and sometimes calls me when she’s home alone because she’s frightened of thunderstorms. […]

Editorial: Give Katehi a chance to lead

Calls for UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi’s resignation rang out repeatedly Monday during the Occupy UC Davis rally on the Quad. We understand the sentiment, registered in the wake of last week’s shocking pepper-spraying of nonviolent student protesters. However, we’re not ready to join the chorus of voices demanding that she step down. KATEHI HAS […]

UCD website shows hypocrisy

On Saturday morning, I went to the UC Davis homepage to see what the university had to say about Friday’s pepper spraying of seated, non-violent student protestors. I discovered a proud declaration that UCD was “A community that embraces civility.” An hour or so later, that declaration disappeared from the homepage. Before it was removed, […]

Take a closer look at UCD Police pathology

The video and pictures of Lt. Pike calmly pepper spraying students on campus like he was spraying his roses for aphids tells me there is something rotten in the UC Davis Police Department. I do not want to see Lt. Pike or other officers singled out for punishment unless it is established that they specifically […]

Open Letter from a Parent to Chancellor

My child is in your PhD program and I have spent thousands of dollars in support of his efforts at your school. I am shocked and dismayed by the criminal behavior of your police force. It very much reminds me of the shock and dismay I felt when I witnessed the events at Kent State […]

Police Pepper Spray UCD Student

Dear Editor, I am another UC Davis alum who is outraged by the show of force on Friday by the Campus Police against the peacefully protesting students. The video shows a formation of police, fully attired in riot gear and armed with rifles of some sort. We soon watch them spray the students with yellow […]

New images stir old memories

I am old enough to recall watching black and white TV coverage of Southern police firehosing civil rights activists some 5o years ago. The UC Berkley police have shown the world the high tech 21st century version of this image. I predict tonight’s video images of this gratuitous police thugery may become the beginning of […]

UC Davis Police Brutality

When I saw the video of the police brutality on the UC Davis campus yesterday it made me wonder if the UC Regents, the UC Davis chancellor and the UC Davis police had just attended a workshop conducted by Bashar al-Assad of Syria on how to extinguish dissident behavior. I could hardly believe my eyes […]

Open Letter to Chancellor Katehi

I am an alumnus of this great university (’82). I have watched as your predecessors have brought UC Davis from low in the university rankings to one of the great research institutions in the world. And all of this has been tarnished by your one decision to evict a small number of peaceful protesters expressing […]

Katehi and Spicuzza Must Resign

As a UC Davis alumnus and lifetime Alumni Association member, I’m outraged at the actions of the campus police (UCDPD) on Friday. I’m ashamed that the police force at my alma matter used pepper spray on its own students, yet proud of the students’ mature and principled adherence to peaceful civil disobedience during and after […]

Nothing less acceptable

When you hire someone to do a job, 2 things are expected: that the person has the ability to do the job, and the maturity to make tough decisions in dicy situations. The ability to know whether you have made the right decision or not, however, might not be known until after the person has […]

pepper spray coverage

Cory Golden’s coverage of the pepper spray incident was thorough. However, I was disappointed that he felt it necessary to suggest that photos and videos were posted only on “left-leaning websites.” For years, mainstream media have passed on what they consider “news” from conservative sources without labeling them “right-leaning.” Anyone who has viewed the video […]

Back off on rush to judgment

Why are some critics so quick to call for the resignation or dismissal of Chancellor Linda Katehi at UC Davis? Their demands are at odds with the apparent facts of the pepper spray incident. Did she give the order for the spraying? Is she responsible for whatever campus police policy and practices that may have […]