Don’t miss ‘fruits’ of arts program

I would like to congratulate Dani Thomas and Janice Purnell on having the Yolo Arts Council selected as a national leader in weaving the arts into economic development. Their hard work and innovative programs have provided opportunities for a wide range of Yolo County artists. I am most involved with the Arts and Agriculture Program. […]

Living lives off the Internet

I was able to attend the International Festival at the Veterans’ Memorial Center run by International House. The event was great fun and a great success. I learned that the people at the Brazilian table did not know about “The Mystery Guitar Man,” from Brazil, the Russian reps did not know Olga Kay or “FPS […]

Celebrating unity in diversity

On Saturday, Oct. 1, many in Davis took part in the buoyant and cheerful environment that was the inaugural International Festival hosted by International House, Davis, and UC Davis. We know people are proud of their distinctive cultures, and our planning team kept clear focus on this notion as we created our shared vision of […]

Another Davis showcase

Those who did not have the chance to go to the first (I hope annual) International House Festival on Oct. 1 at the Veterans’ Memorial Center missed a wonderful event. For all who have an interest beyond our borders, there was information, entertainment, food, crafts to make, crafts to buy and general merriment. The many […]

Good decision on parking garage

I was delighted to read Wednesday that the Davis City Council had shown unusual good sense in shunting what seemed like a runaway freight train onto a siding where we hope it languishes to gather dust, rust and decay. This was a bad idea from the start and shouldn’t have gotten this far. The prospect of […]

Growth is driving this project

The folks who have paid attention to the potential water rate increases want this issue on a ballot for all of us to debate and vote. In East Davis, about 75 percent of all folks I’ve contacted want us to have the opportunity to vote. But there is another faction that does not want homeowners […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; (202) 456-1111; fax: (202) 456-2461; email: president@whitehouse.gov U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3553; email: visithttp://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3841; fax: (202) 228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House of Representatives […]

Real students reside behind the numbers

By John M. Crisp The Chronicle of Higher Education’s Almanac Issue shows up in my mailbox about this time every year. It’s a remarkable resource for learning about all things higher ed, great and small. For example, did you know that 73 percent of college students use text messaging on a daily basis, while only […]

Caregiver at wits’ end

Dear Annie: My wife, “Elizabeth,” is wheelchair bound with multiple sclerosis and needs constant care, which I have been doing alone for years. Our family members become irritated when we don’t attend birthdays, weddings or other family gatherings. They show no concern for the massive effort on my part to get my beautiful wife up […]

Turn down the noisy concert

On Tuesday, Oct. 4, well after 11 p.m., a concert, “Tiesto Club Life College Invasion Tour,” was presented at The Pavilion on the UC Davis campus and inside my bedroom, which is well over a mile away. UCD police said a “noise permit” had been issued to “UC Davis Presents” and that neither they nor […]

Care for defenseless animals

I commend Debra DeAngelo for her column in Sunday’s edition of The Enterprise. I also express much gratitude for those who became involved with the rescue of the suffering kitten, offering compassion and kindness during the kitten’s final hours of life. Thank you for taking action and trying to make a difference. Unfortunately, the sentiments […]

Resist the insanity of drones

This is in regard to the Associated Press article of Sept. 30, “U.S. Air Strike Kills American al-Qaida cleric in Yemen.” The drone “targeting” of untried, “suspected” enemy combatants in Yemen, Pakistan, Afghanistan and elsewhere is wrong in so many ways it is hard to know where to begin. One only has to imagine drones […]

Local government does work

It seems that these days, everyone wants to complain about government — whether it’s at the federal level, state or even here in Yolo County. Things are always tougher when finances are tight and local elected officials are forced to make difficult decisions about cutting services. That said, I wanted to take this opportunity and […]

An investment in our future

Right now, Davis is reliant solely upon groundwater. Shallow groundwater aquifers are contaminated with nitrates and are unsafe for children to drink, while providing water that makes it difficult to meet the city’s waste discharge requirements; deep aquifers have been shown by groundwater studies to have a limited quantity of water available. This condition is […]