China appears to be at a crossroads

The issue: Wen and Hu are stepping down this year, creating an opportunity for change at the highest levels Once every 10 years, the inner circle of China’s ruling Communist Party retreats behind closed doors and quickly re-emerges to inform the Chinese people, and the world, who the new leaders will be. THE HIERARCHY is […]

Now foreclosure doesn’t sound so bad

Dear Annie: Four years ago, my adult son was divorced and then lost his job. He tried selling his house, but couldn’t find a buyer. At the same time, my sister’s daughter, also recently divorced, needed a larger house and a better school system for her three teenage children. My sister and I came up […]

Marriage comes with baggage

Dear Annie: When I married my wife last summer, her son was living in the basement with no intention of getting a job. “Terence” is 23 and not exactly bright. We tried offering advice to help him move forward with his life, but he likes things his way. My wife excuses this, saying it’s his […]

Educate all before kindergarten

During the discussions about South Davis schools at the recent Board of Education meeting, I realized that maybe Montgomery Elementary School should set up a two-year program for all. A Head Start-like program that would be open to all who would want to attend, and their social economic standing shouldn’t matter. We could start at […]

Look for other funding sources

Congratulations are due to the Davis Joint Unified School District, the campaign in support of Measure C, the Board of education, the superintendent, teachers, students and those who wrote letters to the editor. The Davis Enterprise was the real hero in publicizing the issue. The highest level of congratulations are due to the Davis community […]

More thanks for Measure C support

In their recent op-ed to the community, Barbara Archer and Lori Duisenberg did a wonderful job of thanking the many, many volunteers who assisted the effort to pass Measure C. They were fabulous, each and every one, and Archer’s and Duisenberg’s committed and dynamic leadership were key ingredients in the success of the effort. Special […]

Judge Maguire deserves your vote

This June, the voters in Yolo County will have the opportunity to retain Judge Dan Maguire, one of our best Superior Court judges. I’m presiding judge of the Yolo Superior Court, so I’ve had the opportunity to observe Judge Maguire’s work. He’s done an exceptional job in every case we’ve sent to him. In 2010, […]

Please enforce lights for cyclists

An open letter to the Davis Police Department: On behalf of a good number of residents who agree, would you please enforce the bicycle safety code requiring bike riders to have a proper light on the front and some reflective device on the rear of their bikes when riding at night? When driving at night, […]

Celebrities hit the runway for kids

Everyone is invited to join the fun when Yolo County celebrities “strut their stuff” Thursday night, March 29, at the West Sacramento City Hall Galleria. Tickets for the Yolo County Children’s Alliance and Child Abuse Prevention Council annual celebrity fundraiser are $45 each and the proceeds will go to support the work of YCCA, including […]

Our library is integral, indeed

I read Patty Wong’s well written commentary March 9, “Library Seeks Community Vision.” Immediately afterward, I solved your daily “Cryptoquote” ( to which I am addicted) and to my delight the answer was a beautiful quote by Cicero: “If you have a garden and library, you have everything you need.” What a great follow-up to Patty’s […]

Consider non-resident tuition?

Although I am a native Northern Californian, I spent seven years on the East Coast. I was an attorney, and spent much of my time working for law firms representing school districts in New York and New Jersey. In both those states, school districts routinely required out-of-district students to pay tuition (generally in the neighborhood […]

Thanks for hoops energy, support

The following is an open letter to Aggie basketball fans, friends, administrators and supporters: As we conclude my first season as head basketball coach, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your unbelievable energy, enthusiasm and support for our program this past season. We endured a lot of adversity in many different […]

Fellow gamer says ‘good luck’

As an avid video gamer, I really enjoyed seeing Anne Ternus-Bellamy’s article, “Powered up,” in Friday’s edition of The Enterprise. Best of luck to Coby, and best wishes to his loving and supportive family. Joey Chen Davis

Still pining for the bad boy

Dear Annie: Ten years ago, I fell in love with “Brandon” and had the two happiest years of my life. Then he changed. We broke up, and I found out he had been having sex with another coed. His deception and harsh words put a stop to any fantasies of reconciliation. I soon began a […]