Not diet or exercise: I’ll try a new resolution this year

* Editor’s note: Marion is taking the day off. This column has been slightly edited since it first appeared in 2006. If I tell you exactly what I’m doing at this moment, it will sound perfectly normal to you. I’m making coffee. I’m looking at my router, which has been having problems lately. I’m checking […]

Best excuse ever, or the worst?

Dear Annie: I am a 60-year-old man, and I’m in a 10-month relationship with a beautiful young woman of 63. A terrible thing happened. An ex-girlfriend I briefly dated years ago stopped by my house to repay some money I loaned her. She brought some beer, and we chatted. Unfortunately, I had taken a sleep […]

Give us some new funnies

Here’s a possible New Year’s resolution for The Enterprise: Consider updating the comics page with newer comic strips. You should make room for “Pearls Before Swine,” for example. Anthony Barcellos Davis

Syrian government is brutal

We all see what is happening in the Arabic world nowadays. The Arab Spring world that emerged from Tunisia and circulated through different Arab countries is bloody in Syria. The government has claimed since the beginning of the revolution in Syria that there is a secret plan made by unidentified armed groups to do harmful […]

Don’t stop the party

For months, we wondered if Dominic Ogari and Samwel Osieko would get their visas. At last they did, and the Davis community will have a chance to meet these Kenyan musicians known as Kamatana at 7 p.m. Tuesday. This Kenyan obokano duo will play at International House Davis, 10 College Park. They will play folk […]

Why your children should be playing outside

“Go outside and play” may be a parental refrain heard more often during school holidays, but it’s also proving to be a prescription for better health on a number of fronts. One new analysis of recent eye studies among children and teens found that time spent outdoors is related to a reduced risk for nearsightedness. […]

It’s an easy fix: Bring your own bags

By Mark Murray Thousands of Davis residents have submitted petitions recently urging the City Council to join with other West Coast communities in phasing out the distribution of single-use plastic shopping bags at most large retailers. The effort is aimed at both reducing costs for consumers and protecting the environment. It’s not hard to see […]

Cost should be No. 1 priority on water

By John Munn The Yolo County Taxpayers Association commends the Davis City Council for recognizing the need for a pause in the rush toward higher water rates. Whether we bring in surface water or not, the primary concern of the Taxpayers Association is affordability, and we hope that the design and cost of facilities needed […]

Must we be so pragmatic?

The issue: “Occupy,” “squeezed middle” also are top words of the year Merriam-Webster recently announced that its top word of the year is “pragmatic.” Is it too punny of us to note that it was a logical choice? THE WORD WAS looked up so many times on the company’s online dictionary that publishers had no […]

What do you think: What’s your New Year’s resolution?

Carol Tran student, Davis: “My New Year’s resolution is to cut back on sugar.” Travis Wong student, Vallejo: “Mine is to stop cussing.” Amanda Zimmerman preschool teacher/student, Davis: “Get straight A’s.” Joshua Comprendio dancer, Sacramento: “To get financially stable.” Thao Duong program manager, Sacramento: “I want to get into grad school.” Brian Sturges Paint Chip […]

Dealing with unpleasant mom

Dear Annie: My mother lives by herself. I have not spent a great deal of time with her, but now that she is aging, I feel guilty for not being around. Mom doesn’t have any friends, and my siblings barely speak to her. She is a difficult woman. Mom is very negative, has no interests […]

We must abolish death penalty

It was gratifying to read the renewal of the death penalty debate in The Enterprise; yet it was disappointing to read that money was the main factor in making the terminal decision. To kill another person intentionally is called murder. To murder a murderer puts both sides ethically on the same level, although it may […]

Gibson House event a big success

As co-chairs of the Gibson House Museum Christmas Celebration committee, we would like to thank the sponsors of the Celebration Gala and the many families and children who participated in Santa Saturday. The festival was a successful fundraiser for the Gibson House programs, which provide an opportunity for children from throughout the county and other […]