What do you think about the Occupy movement?

Joe Taormina aircraft mechanic, Benicia: “I think it’s great. We should’ve done this three years ago. What the banks and Wall Street accomplished was nothing less than organized crime.” Wesley Pierce head of security at Little Prague, Davis: “Honestly, I think they need to tone down the radicalism and put the focus back on the […]

Rotary is ‘this close’ to ending polio

You can help Polio survivor Bill Hollingshead of Davis has served Rotary’s District 5160 as its PolioPlus chairman. “My heart beats faster and I become overwhelmed to think — to know — that I will see the end of polio in my lifetime,” he says. To help Rotary eradicate the last 1 percent of polio cases […]

Best government money can buy?

The most wonderful aspect of Occupy Wall Street is that it has refocused our attention away from scapegoat issues such as Social Security and budget deficits and toward what truly ails our society: gross income inequality stemming largely from government policies favoring corporate profits (paraphrased from New York Times columnist Paul Krugman). The power of […]

Survey the garage at First and F

I believe most parking in the core area is for short-term shopping and errands. These kinds of shoppers are disinclined to want to use parking structures no matter how conveniently they are located to their shopping destinations. For this reason, I believe a new garage in the proposed location is a bad idea. Since a […]

Medical marijuana has been hijacked

The muscular young man with greasy hair, tattered clothing and a menacing demeanor sauntered into a Los Angeles fast-food emporium the other day, his breath reeking of liquor and his demands very frank. “Give me some money,” he demanded of a customer waiting for a breakfast burrito. “Not on your life, smelling the way you […]

Stepmother feels threatened

Dear Annie: I am a stepmom to two wonderful little boys under the age of 4. I treat them the same as my own children. The problem is their mother. “Carla” acts as if I am the wicked witch. I know it is hard to let another woman care for your children. I have assured […]

Are we there yet? Give the ’12 months of Christmas’ a try

My 11-year-old son is very easy to buy presents for because he loves everything. He has received many “best gifts ever,” and his enthusiasm is quite genuine. At the time. However, it doesn’t last long. The number of “best gifts ever” that have been thrown by the wayside causes a parent to rethink holiday and […]

It’s your right to know

I am happy to have this opportunity to write the Davis community about our right to know what is in our foods. What concerns me is what we do not know. I am learning that changes to the genetic structure or additives to the diet of the plants and animals we eat can have serious […]

Conservation is the key to 14%

By Bob Young As a retired statistician, I become very curious when I see a lot of numbers being floated around that are in conflict. I am often reminded about the book, “How to Lie with Statistics.” Most statisticians abhor that concept. The purpose of this note is to provide some understanding (for me) as […]

A rescue effort, but an unequal one

Dear Annie: My brother, “Lenny,” lives in upstate New York, and I live in Texas, but we’ve always been close and call each other often. Lenny has been raising two grandsons, ages 9 and 10, since the parents died in an accident four years ago. They are both good boys. The problem is Lenny’s favoritism. […]

Experiment before a big expense

I read Clark Goecker’s letter to the editor, “Try a Fifth Street experiment,” on Sunday, and I have to completely agree. How does it make sense to funnel the amount of cars that go down Fifth Street into less space and say it will make less traffic? I don’t see other cities shrinking their freeways or […]

Lessons learned from Alabama law

Back in the early 2000s, with the debate already heating up over how much of the unemployment problem in California and the nation was caused by illegal immigrant workers and their willingness to be exploited by skinflint employers, Dianne Feinstein tried an experiment. The veteran Democratic U.S. senator arranged for every office of the state […]