Columnist took a cheap shot

Enterprise columnist Rich Rifkin styles himself as a Lexicon Artist. A more accurate label for his recent column would be Cheap Shot Artist. Rifkin’s need to cite the opinions of anonymous “people with the city and former residents of DACHA” is a cheap shot. It’s a device used by someone who can’t back up his […]

Closing the GATE on our children

By Ann Murray Paige My child recently did not get accepted into what’s called the GATE program here in Davis. GATE stands for “Gifted And Talented Education” and it’s a way for the public school to offer “higher learning” to kids who want it. What “higher learning” is I’m unclear, but it involves a lot […]

Past comes back to haunt employee

Dear Annie: After eight years at my job, I was let go. I have a felony record. The CEO who knew of my background retired last year. He felt I had proved myself and had no problem with me. When he retired, we got an interim CEO. I told him about my record as soon […]

Are we there yet?: All aboard the meal train!

Recently we learned that a family we know peripherally needed some support while caring for a sick child. When I heard about the hard times ahead for this family, I was happy to find out that a mutual friend already had taken charge of helping with meals. Truth be told, when I heard this very […]

We left with hope in our hearts

The Celebration of Abraham would like to thank all those who participated in the ninth annual celebration on Jan. 29. The speakers were great; the singing was great — although next year the leaders for final song will practice a little more. We were so happy to have young people, including high school students, involved […]

A land of limitless opportunities

Our Constitution has withstood more than 200 years of existence and has served our country well, despite attempts from our own governing persons to circumvent, mutilate and reinterpret the Constitution and Bill of Rights that our forefathers carefully crafted to establish the governing process and protect the basic rights of the individuals in this great […]

Dig deep for today’s students

After mulling over the arguments for and against Measure C, we decided to vote for it. We separated this important educational decision from the din created by the city water-tax debacle. We focused on what the measure will do for Davis students in these gloomy economic times. We remembered that Davis residents voted for similar […]

Big spike in gas leaks

Residents in Stonegate should be aware that the number of leaks in the gas distribution lines has increased dramatically since PG&E reported 42 leaks in November. A total of 60 gas leaks have now been reported in the Stonegate subdivision, including at least six “Grade 1″ leaks that required immediate repair in December under PG&E […]

As war winds down, no peace dividend, just IOU

The issue: Costly wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were fought with borrowed money Inevitably, some lawmaker or activist group with better political than math skills will raise the shiny but illusory prospect of a “peace dividend.” This would be money we don’t have to spend to continue fighting the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. PRESIDENT […]

GOP leaders show courage on payroll tax cut issue

The issue: The deal still leaves Republicans and Democrats plenty to fight about Swallowing hard, congressional Republican leaders have reversed course on a position that was a political loser from the start and only growing worse with time. THEY AGREED to extend the payroll tax cut, thereby handing President Barack Obama a small victory. Moreover, […]

Not holding up his end

Dear Annie: My husband and I work comparable hours, but I earn less than half of what he does and have little discretionary income. I come home to my “second shift,” which includes cooking, cleaning and picking up after this man, who leaves his dirty clothes, snack packaging and other things strewn about the house. […]

Where’s the love for unborn?

I suppose that one should feel sorry for people such as Carol Foerster (Letters, Feb. 12), who are so possessed by the culture of death that they consider babies in their mothers’ wombs as “a clump of unborn cells.” I suppose. Noreen B. Mazelis Davis