We’ll meet in the intersection

I had been worried that our beloved Davis was losing its edge (toad tunnel, dark skies, etc.) but was relieved when I turned to Page A16 of Sunday’s Enterprise. There, in full color, was a meeting being held in the middle of an intersection! What creativity! As I and a few friends might want to […]

Don’t hurt the heart of our city

It never ceases to amaze me how the city of Davis will continue to bite off its nose to spite its face. Now, Fifth Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction, forcing those of us who don’t live downtown and cannot bike to be subject to heavy traffic and longer travel times. […]

Support this cancer-fighting group

Recent news stories about the Susan G. Komen Foundation’s attempt to defund Planned Parenthood’s breast-screening program have left many Komen supporters rethinking their contributions. Other coverage, in this month’s Mother Jones, for example, about Komen’s corporate sponsors and connections to Big Pharma also show the organization in a new, and unflattering, light. Readers looking for […]

Reusable bags are best

Actually, in my mind it’s a toss-up which is worse for the environment: paper or plastic bags. Paper bags mean diesel-powered logging trucks spewing tailpipe emissions and using destructive logging roads, clear-cutting of forests, pollution of streams and rivers, etc. Actually, if Sandy Harcourt really had the interests of the environment at heart, he would […]

Don’t miss Gilbert and Sullivan

The Light Opera Theatre of Sacramento is coming to the Veterans’ Memorial Center on Feb. 24-26 to present Gilbert and Sullivan’s “Pirates of Penzance,” and I encourage Davisites to attend this wonderful performance. I never miss the opportunity to attend their productions. There are talented singers and actors and the whole evening will be full […]

Disraeli’s wisdom would serve us today

“It is well-known what a middleman is: he is a man who bamboozles one party and plunders the other.” —Benjamin Disraeli I claim no real expertise in the DACHA matter. Nor do I fancy myself a maven in low-income housing schemes. What I do know is that, when you can cut out the middleman, you […]

Thank you all for the love

Dear Readers: Happy Valentine’s Day to one and all, along with our special good wishes to the veterans in VA hospitals around the country. And our particular thanks to those readers who have taken the time to send valentines, visit the vets and volunteer at VA facilities. Bless each and every one of you. ———— […]

Russia taps into a new realm

The issue: Water from long-buried ancient lake may teach us many things At one of the coldest and most remote places on Earth, with an Antarctic winter on the doorstep, a team of Russian scientists last week completed drilling through more than 12,000 feet of ice to reach a lake lost to the outside world […]

Every child deserves the best

We are retired from Davis Joint Unified School District after long careers at the secondary level. Over the years, we have seen significant erosion in state and federal funding for public education. The positive note in all this is that the citizens of Davis have rallied since 1984 to support parcel tax measures benefiting our […]

Redouble our school support

We write to express our enthusiastic support for Measure C. As the parents of two children who attended the Davis public schools from kindergarten through high school, we know that our schools do an outstanding job for our community. Our children were taught by able and dedicated teachers, advised by caring and effective counselors, trained […]

Find your ballot, vote yes

I am writing to ask you to join me in supporting the renewal of Measure C, the parcel tax to replace expiring Measures Q and W. The measure funds programs such as reading and math support, science librarians and music for our children. The ballot was mailed on Feb. 6. It is likely somewhere in […]

Diaper Drive helps local families

Like many people in our community, I believe it’s important to contribute to making the world a better place and to help others, at a local, national and international level. Right now, a way that we can all help is by contributing to CommuniCare Health Centers’ second annual Diaper Drive. CommuniCare’s Perinatal Program cares for […]

Wells remembered in donation

The Kiwanis Club of Davis has made a $500 donation to the Yolo County Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Center in memory of Stan Wells. Stan, our good friend and fellow Kiwanian, was an ardent and longtime supporter of the SADVC and we, his Kiwanis colleagues, wanted to honor his memory by supporting this very […]