How you vote truly does matter

I must confess to laughing out loud at the description of the oppression suffered by the closet Republican here within the borders of liberal Davis (“OK, Davis, here’s my dirty little secret”). Her bravery as she stood up against the water cannons of the Davis Police Department so she could vote her class loyalty in […]

Hear prof’s insights on Middle East

I would like to invite the public to a program on Israel, the Palestinians and the “Arab Spring” on Sunday from 3 to 5 p.m. in the Blanchard Room of the Stephens Branch Library, 315 E. 14th St. in Davis. The speaker will be Zeev Maoz, distinguished professor of political science at UC Davis, and distinguished fellow at […]

Experiment first with Fifth Street

This community needs to be careful it doesn’t get caught up in politically correct terms such as “road diet.” Our City Council may be embracing what appears to be a politically correct change to Fifth Street. And, maybe the small group of people pushing for this change may be right. It appears the city staff […]

Don’t give away our water system

I must be slow on the uptake. I was so taken back by the city’s proposal to raise the water rates that I completely missed that after years of paying these huge rates, the system will be run by a private company. Why am I paying to build something for the benefit of a private […]

Chancellor’s plan has no clothes

I read with amazement the front-page story last week titled “Katehi charts course” and subtitled “Chancellor proposes adding 5,000 students, 300 faculty in 5 years at UCD.” In the words of tennis icon John McEnroe, “You can’t be serious!” The UC administrators may have been on sabbatical for the past 10 years and not noticed […]

We need to act now on water

Attending the recent water forum in the Davis City Council Chambers, I concluded the controversy distills (pun intended) down to economics. Can Davis afford a project to bring surface water from the Sacramento River to Davis, or can it afford not to? The one City Council member strongly opposed to the project said, “Our deep […]

Follow this plan to solvency

“I can’t listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland.” — Woody Allen In advance of the last round of labor contracts, one reform I recommended was to require all city of Davis workers to pay the full employee share of pension funding. For non-public safety personnel, whose pensions are 2.5 percent at 55 […]

This generation needs a job more than a name

The issue: New census data paint a bleak picture for young adults For a mix of reasons — demographic shorthand, stereotyping, merchandising — we insist on labeling population cohorts of increments of 20 years or so as generations, moreover, ones with specific characteristics. THERE IS THE Lost Generation of World War I, the Greatest Generation […]

Another try at leaving no child behind

The issue: With changes ordered by presidential fiat, which way are we going? For a small-government conservative, President George W. Bush inexorably left behind more and bigger government. Now, President Barack Obama is subtly expanding the reach of the federal government in one of Bush’s signature initiatives, the 2002 No Child Left Behind Act. Although […]

For $16, a double order of breakfast and history

The issue: Instead of overpriced hotel goodies, try Denny’s We’re not telling stories out of school here, but in the news biz there’s such a thing as a story that’s too good to check out. It happens all the time in British tabloids, and we’re told, although we have no first-hand knowledge of such, that […]

‘Managed democracy’ makes it all so easy

The issue: Russia learns the outcome of next March’s presidential election As part of Russian leader Vladimir Putin’s program of “managed democracy,” he has managed to spare the Russian people such time-consuming and, in his opinion, unnecessary drags on the electoral process as debates, caucuses, primaries, conventions, campaigns and all those other gaudy fripperies of true […]

Plenty of reasons to support

Reasons to support the surface water project: 1. Everyone on the City Council and two UC Davis  experts agree we need the surface water project; 2. Construction costs/interest rates for the project are likely cheaper now; 3. Our deep-level aquifers may be insufficient for the city’s future needs because of subsidence/contamination problems; 4. Fines for […]

Where have our favorites gone?

The funny-paper elves have been up to their fey trickery, it seems. Fans of “Frank & Ernest” and “For Better or For Worse” opened Sunday’s paper to find their favorites absent and interlopers in possession. Nothing against “Prince Valiant” or “Shoe,” but this is a bit much, and so sudden, too. Was it a case […]