Husband’s not fully coming clean

Dear Annie: “Bill” and I have been married for 43 years. He retired three years ago. We didn’t socialize with any of his co-workers, so I didn’t know them well. Last Christmas, Bill got a card with no return address. It only had Bill’s name on it. I handed it to him so he had […]

A treasured labor of love

Many thank yous to the performers who have created and performed at the Citizens Who Care Annual Winter Concert. This year’s 20th annual concert, celebrating the lyrics of Ira Gershwin, was exceptional! The community owes a debt of gratitude to the performers who support the services provided to the frail elderly and their caregivers. This is “a labor […]

Caregiver feels overwhelmed

Dear Annie: My father is 87 years old and has congestive heart failure. I am the youngest of four siblings, two of whom live out of town. For some reason, everything falls on me. We pay for a caregiver to come in for four hours a day, but she leaves at noon. My brother sometimes […]

Serbia on path to join European Union

The issue: Full EU membership may be years in coming, but this agreement is a significant and overdue step forward The Bosnian war lasted more than three years, technically ending in 1995, leaving a messy aftermath. The European Union took a major step last week in clearing up the loose ends by granting Serbia candidate […]

Landfill not a suitable place for human remains

The issue: Careless disposal of victims of war, 9/11 is shameful One of the many attributes that speak so well of the American military is the care it takes in retrieving its fallen and providing for final interment. The great military cemeteries here and in Europe are testament to that care and pride. SOMEHOW, HOWEVER, […]

With North Korea, a possible fresh start?

The issue: We’ve been burned before, but this deal is a chance worth taking The cartoon strip “Peanuts” left an enduring leitmotif: Lucy would tee up a football and cajole Charlie Brown into kicking it, only to snatch the ball away at the last minute. That inevitable and predictable outcome could serve as a metaphor […]

They’re all against it

Dear Annie: My fiancé and I were best friends growing up, and our families were close, as well. When we were 16, his parents suddenly pulled “Paul” out of school and told me never to call their house again. My mother said Paul was no longer welcome in our home and I was not to […]

Not holding up his end

Dear Annie: Six years ago, I divorced my alcoholic, workaholic husband and became a single parent. My ex has regular visitation, but I am the one who handles all the sick days, school conferences, injuries, etc. He never bothers. Shortly after the divorce, I had to take a job at a much lower salary. There […]

NAMI is heartened by support

There was extraordinary community support at NAMI-Yolo’s annual Pat Williams Mental Health Dinner on Feb. 16 at the Veterans’ Memorial Center. It wasn’t just the selling out of 240 tickets; or the contribution of 60 sponsorships to the dinner for mental health consumers; or the participation of more than 30 community leaders. Most impressive was […]

Fight ALS on your tax return

The Specktaculars, a walkathon teamed formed to walk in support of Cathy Speck, her wife Linda Duval and the Speck family, would like to remind sponsors that their donations are tax-deductible (Tax ID# 68-0159292). Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, aka Lou Gehrig’s disease), is rarely genetic, but for Davis local Cathy Speck, it is. ALS is […]

Applause for Music Collective

I was invited to experience the first concert presented by the Davis Live Music Collective at the Odd Fellows’ upstairs hall in downtown Davis recently. I was impressed that this group of Davis music lovers, mostly in their 30s and 40s, produced such a professional show. Their love for music and this event was demonstrated […]

Progress Ranch says thanks

I received an email from Lea Rosenberg of the Davis Odd Fellows saying that we were going to be the recipients of their “Breakfast with Santa” fundraiser during the 2011 holiday season. When I arrived at the Odd Fellows Hall on Feb. 22, Lea graciously provided an introduction of Progress Ranch to the membership, and […]