Parcelling out the good stuff

Dear Annie: I am 90 years old and am concerned that after I die my kids will squabble over my things. So I would like to work it out before that happens. I have a daughter who lives in another state and two wonderful daughters-in-law who live nearby. “Dora” and my oldest son have helped […]

Grandma getting robbed

Dear Annie: My mother is 86 and lives in another state. My 33-year-old nephew and his three kids live with her, as do my niece, “Joanna,” and her two children. Not one of them has a job. Several months ago, Mom broke her hip and was in rehab for four months. During that time, Joanna […]

Support the right to choose

In this era of the battles between the elitest liberals and the conservative movement, together with the heat being taken by the president’s ruling regarding contraceptives and abortion, I find it necessary to stand alongside the right-to-lifers — on the day that women can get pregnant by themselves! In the meantime, I suggest that any […]

Corporations are not people

Mitt Romney loves to say with unjustified arrogance that corporations are, of course, people. As if it couldn’t possibly be refuted any more than the fact that the Earth revolves around the sun or that Paris Hilton should never have been famous. Unfortunately for him, his tax situation being in the spotlight has highlighted an […]

This tax measure is flawed

I am writing about Measure C, the mail-in school tax ballot that arrived in my mailbox on Tuesday. I have followed this issue closely, and am torn between trusting the school board or the Measure C opponents. Having read all of the ballot arguments, it appears that the No on Measure C folks are being […]

Please, come share your views

Take Back Our Democracy, a Davis-based group concerned with the dominance of corporate interests in government, will have a potluck from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday in the community room of Village Homes  at Portage Bay East, next to Osteria Fasulo,  just north of Russell Boulevard in West Davis. Follow the paper lanterns from the parking lot […]

Put the pressure on Sacramento

As a senior citizen who has resided in Davis for the past seven years, I intend to vote no on Measure C. No, I’m not hostile toward the public schools or children, and I don’t believe the fiction that the system wastes taxpayer dollars! I have proudly supported public education as a foundation of our […]

What do you think: If you could write a conversation heart, what would it say?

Dutch Fulton writer/editor, Davis: “The moon is in a dewdrop.” Jill Bonner campus administrator, Davis: ” ‘Peace.’ And it would be centered on the heart.” Camara Vitek freelance artist, Davis: “My phone number.” Diane Patterson independent musician, Sebastopol: “Come soar with me.” Daniel Moore student, Chico: “XOXO.” Tyler Martin student, San Leandro: ” ‘I love […]

Vote yes on C, for our kids

The issue: We must do what’s necessary to stave off further cuts in core school services Two Sundays ago, we reported some pretty grim news about the Davis schools’ budget outlook. Even if Measure C passes next month, we’re facing a persistent $3.5 million deficit that we’ve been papering over with one-time budget fixes over […]

Water Advisory Committee moves to prime time

Learn more What: Davis Water Advisory Committee When: 6:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursdays of each month Where: Community Chambers, City Hall, 23 Russell Blvd. Watch it: Live on City Government Channel 16; recorded video will be available under “streaming video” on the council and commissions’ home page at www.cityofdavis.org By Michael Bartolic […]

Elementary science offers a necessary foundation

Details What: Measure C, a parcel tax of $320 per single-family home and $150 per apartment unit for the next five years to support Davis classroom programs When: Davis voters received their ballots in the mail last week and must mark and return them by March 6 Where: Mail ballots to the Yolo County Elections […]

Simply charge by the pound

We very much enjoyed your “Our View” discussing mass transit problems presented by the growing size of Americans (Jan. 26). My question is why has it not been suggested to simply calculate everyone’s fare based on total weight: the passenger, their luggage and carry-on(s)? We already have the scales in place at the check-in desk. […]

We support government reform

About three years ago, a group of community members in Yolo County banded together to address our shared concerns about the effectiveness of California’s state and local governance. We have conducted a series of forums and workshops involving several hundred residents of our region and featuring leading thinkers on governance reform. Our mission is to inform […]

Don’t be misled by tactics

A special election to hold a single-subject election should never be called by any governmental entity unless there are legitimate circumstances that exist to justify its timing. This is because special irregularly scheduled single-subject elections generally do not attract as many voters as regularly scheduled elections do. They are an unnecessary waste of additional public […]