Listen to us, please, on water

Is it just me, or have we stopped listening to each other altogether? On a larger front, we hear people say they’re opposed to illegal immigration. That seems to have translated into being opposed to immigration, being against people wanting to improve their lives, and perhaps even being racist! What happened to the word “illegal”? […]

100 years later, give thanks to our foremothers

By SueAnn Freeman On Monday, Oct. 10, members of the American Association of University Women, the League of Women Voters and the National Organization of Women braved a torrent of rain as they marched from the California State Museum to the state Capitol in Sacramento to celebrate the anniversary of 100 years of voting rights […]

U.N. will declare 2012 to be the International Year of Cooperatives

By David J. Thompson Oct. 24 is a red-letter day among supporters of cooperatives. The Rochdale Equitable Pioneers Society became a legal entity on Oct. 24, 1844. From that day on, modern cooperation became an organizational reality. The Rochdale Equitable Pioneers Society was registered under the Friendly Societies Act of 1836. It is believed that […]

Infant sleep positions prompt new guidelines

Put your baby on his or her back to sleep. Since 1994, that’s been the dominant message of national campaigns aimed at protecting babies younger than 1 from dying suddenly in their sleep. Yet for nearly a decade, most infant-safety advocates have realized that even though “back to sleep” reduced the SIDS rate by up […]

Private zoos need serious rules

The issue: Taking wild animals out of their natural habitat and corraling them with loose standards is a recipe for disaster There’s nothing that makes the case for government regulation like having wild carnivores — lions, tigers, grizzly bears — turn up in your yard. Or have your local schools closed because free-running wolves and […]

Husband just won’t give up

Dear Annie: My husband and I have been married more than 40 years. We are retired, have no debts and are financially comfortable. We have a great family. Due to age and medical conditions, my husband is almost completely impotent. But he won’t stop trying. I have done everything I can think of to discourage […]

What do you think: What was your first concert experience?

Frank Avila personal banker, Woodland: “It was actually in Davis, a band called Ozomatli.” Hilva Camilo student, Davis: “I think it was here in Davis. I’ve seen an African drums, African dance kind of performance. It was amazing, gorgeous.” Jacque McKee property manager, Davis: “Whitney Houston. It was awesome. It was on Mother’s Day and […]

Ideas floated to save adult care

Thank you to our wonderful caring community of Yolo County. Yolo Adult Day Health Center, in partnership with Woodland Healthcare, sponsored a community forum on Oct. 4. Its purpose was to discuss the impact of losing Medi-Cal funding for the disabled, frail and elderly people in our community who depend on the adult day health […]

Wallace’s legacy lives on in quilts

On behalf of Project Linus of Yolo County, we would like to thank the family of Ida Wallace for donating fabric, and to the Quilter’s Dozen quilting group for making 11 beautiful quilts. We would like to pay tribute to Ida Wallace’s life by remembering her publicly. Jeannie Spangler, a member of the quilting group, […]

Auction Gala was a huge success

On behalf of the Pence Gallery staff and board of directors, I would like to share our appreciation for the efforts of all the volunteers, artists and sponsors who helped to make our Art Auction Gala on Sept. 10 a successful and enjoyable event. The auction is our largest fundraiser of the year to support […]

Thanks for honoring planet Earth

Village Homes hosted a notable 350.org Moving Planet event on Sept. 24 at its Community Center. Having recently joined the Cool Davis Initiative as a partner, Village Homes offered its center for An Evening in Honor of Planet Earth. The spirit of generosity prevailed from the outset. Visitors had the option of arriving early for […]

Band-uh made for a joyous party

The following is a copy of a letter to the Cal Aggie Marching Band-uh: Thank you for making our Davis Neighbors’ Night Out block party so magical! You marched into our cul-de-sac dancing and playing wonderful tunes, and neighbors streamed in to see you and hear you play. People were dancing in the street and […]

Try a Fifth Street experiment

With all due respect, Steve Tracy is a planner, not an engineer, and his anecdotal comments about the experiences with Fifth Street safety must be put in context. Communities that have tried similar experiments have, in some instances, had to spend thousands to reverse their initial decisions. There is some good news in all this. […]

Let the people vote

Please sign the petition circulating to put the water rates to a vote of the people. Stop by the table at the Farmers Market on Saturday. What we gain is time for communitywide discussions on the need, scope and cost of the water pipeline and associated projects to fully explore alternatives to save money, keep water […]