GOP candidates answer questions

In response to David Sandino’s recent letter critical of the Republican Party candidates for president not having any clear message, I disagree. I attended the Republican Party presidential debate in Las Vegas last month and I also asked a question: “For all candidates: What is your position regarding the replacement of the federal income tax […]

Be skeptical of this GMO study

The letter of Diane Evans (Nov. 3) warrants some serious skepticism. She states, “I learned from a study released by the International Journal of Biological Sciences that GMO corn had serious negative effects on rat’s kidney, liver, heart, adrenal, spleen and blood cells.” But a review of the article itself shows clearly that there was […]

Noise ordinance process a concern

The Davis noise ordinance has been developed over several decades using a recurring committee process. I chaired one committee that worked over an eight-month period, and was composed of community members and students, including members of fraternities or sororities. That committee held public hearings and accepted public input. All 10 recommentations of that committee were […]

East Davis turkeys aren’t ‘pests’

I am very disturbed that The Davis Enterprise portrayed our treasured flock of wild turkeys in East Davis as “pests.” These magnificent birds grace our streets and lawns, as they seek to survive and coexist with us. I have had the pleasure of watching momma turkey lead her babies onto my yard and graze for […]

Who cleans up after turkeys?

My husband (a veteran of World War II) and I, along with one of our daughters and her husband, attended the Veterans Day ceremony at the cemetery. We were all deeply touched. It seemed even more meaningful than last year’s observance, which we had thought was very nice. Unfortunately, there were not as many people […]

A proper tribute to veterans

A thank you to both Joe Finkleman and Joe Cattarin from the Davis Cemetery District. They were most helpful and professional in setting up and hosting the Veterans Day celebration this past Friday at the Davis Cemetery. As a veteran, I thought it was a well-done, proper tribute to past and present veterans with an […]

PG&E’s spin circus was a gas

Open house What: PG&E will host a second open house to answer Stonegate residents’ questions about the reported gas leaks When: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday Where: Stonegate Country Club, 919 Lake Blvd. By Eric Nelson The first of two PG&E “open house” meetings at Stonegate to “inform” the community about the rash of gas […]

Younger woman catches his eye

Dear Annie: I am a 44-year-old single guy with no kids, never married. I look younger than my age and could probably pass for 34. I recently met this beautiful girl who is a senior in college. She seemed very nice and is probably 21 or 22 years old. I thought that maybe the next […]

Only one way to protect yourself

Dear Annie: Recently, my sister, “Linda,” became furious when a friend of mine politely declined to do an unreasonable favor. Rather than accept no for an answer, she tried to manipulate other people into strong-arming him into changing his mind. When that didn’t work, she caused a scene and stormed out. While such behavior is […]

The downside of having a pet is dreading ‘that day’

If there’s one thing that’ll make you forget all about your own troubles, it’s when someone you love gets sick. Even when that someone is covered with fur. If you’ve been visiting this space long enough, you’ve heard many stories about my little fur people, Angelo and Milo. Just like their owner, they’re getting on […]

The leech in his natural environment

Dear Annie: I work in a small office with 10 people. We all work on commission. The problem is the boss’s nephew. “Randy” does as little as possible to get by and is a total leech. I know he doesn’t make much on commission, because he rarely gets any work done. He’s too busy on […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; (202) 456-1111; fax: (202) 456-2461; email: president@whitehouse.gov U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3841; fax: (202) 228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House […]

Changes to Proposition 13 could become a necessity

For starters when talking about possible changes to Proposition 13, it’s important never to forget that, as with other California initiatives passed at the ballot box, the landmark property tax-cutting measure that passed handily in 1978 can only be changed via a popular vote. It’s just as important to know that the regulations and definitions […]