A chance for nation’s capital to grow up

The issue: Growth pressures prompt a new discussion of building height limits The Cairo condominium building at 16th and Q streets N.W. is not on any list of tourist sights in Washington, D.C. It’s just a nice old building that was once a hotel. But perhaps it should be on tourist lists, because the Cairo […]

May 02, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Remembering Jim Hutchinson

Thursday morning, James Richard Hutchinson, one of Davis’ most extraordinary citizens and our close friend and colleague of more than 45 years, passed away. Jim was a devoted teacher and a founding member of the department of civil and environmental engineering at UC Davis who maintained an active research program and participation in the International […]

May 01, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Vote yes for parks, greenbelts

Davisites, we often take our parks and greenbelts for granted. We expect that the play structures will be clean and safe when our kids play on them. We expect that the grass will be green and well manicured when we coach our teams, walk our pets and join pickup soccer games. We expect that the […]

Don’t over-draft our aquifers

I am concerned about the problem of aquifers getting over-drafted. When an aquifer gets over-drafted, people are pumping out more water than the aquifer could replenish. If an aquifer gets over-drafted a lot, then it loses its storage capacity permanently, which isn’t the best thing for our already declining water supply. Not only do we […]

May 03, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Give Goodwill a second site

I am writing in support of allowing a second donation site for the Goodwill. Our current thrift stores do not have the desire or ability to receive everyone’s donations. The SPCA turns numerous items away and Right & Relevant has the same ability. The current Goodwill location takes all donations, and is usually filled to […]

Don’t super-size our classrooms

Perhaps lost in the myriad valid public comments regarding the Davis Joint Unified School District’s position to increase class sizes lies a more disturbing problem. While collegiality and communication is key to driving any successful enterprise, it is unclear to many why our school board and school district can engage in problem-solving that seemingly excludes […]

May 02, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Again, GOP primary means little

Never again. That should be the determined motto of California legislators who will set dates for this state’s future primary elections, now that it’s perfectly clear the June 5 California Republican presidential primary election will mean little or nothing, just like all other June primaries contested here since 1972. This became clear after Illinois voted in […]

May 01, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Rubio breaks ranks on immigrants

The issue: He throws Romney a lifeline with his possible compromise on this divisive issue Rising GOP star Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida has broken with his party’s lockstep march to the right on immigration and, in doing so, has thrown a political lifeline to his party’s presumptive presidential nominee, Mitt Romney. WHILE DETAILS are […]

May 01, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Family shaken by crime from within

Dear Annie: Two years ago, my younger sister learned that her grown daughter had been molested as a child by our then-teenage brother. I believe her, but was totally unaware of the situation, as I moved away nearly 25 years ago. Her daughter had a friend who was also molested. Both girls were under age […]

April 29, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

What Do You Think? If money was no object, I would live …

Kenneth Vidra, prospective UCD student. “Australia. It’s more free and open in terms of the culture.” Winnie Tang, Sonoma State student here setting up for an art show, “Nearby a lake, it doesn’t really matter where. Maybe I’d build my own house.” Dan Humkey, Sonoma State student here for an art show. “In Oregon, somewhere […]

| Posted in Forum

Ways to help prevent child sexual abuse by juveniles

By Patricia Fong Special to The Enterprise April is designated as Child Abuse Prevention Month and this provides an opportunity to focus on child sexual abuse perpetrated by juveniles. Every year the Yolo County District Attorney’s Office files about 10 new cases against juveniles under 18 years of age who sexually victimize their peers and those younger. […]

April 27, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Saving the U.S. research university

By C.L. Max Nikias “The problems that confront American higher education today are arguably the greatest in more than a generation. Both public and private institutions have faced significant budget cuts, decreased money for research from federal and state governments, and the specter of a decline in giving because of uncertainty in financial markets. One […]

April 27, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Team Austin offers thanks

On behalf of the Pioneer Elementary third-grade class, I would like to thank the community for its support of our Team Austin Walkathon fundraiser on April 22. Austin is a third-grader who is battling leukemia for the second time, and all of the proceeds of the event were donated to the Austin T. Moore Relief […]

May 03, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,