School district funding is ample

Davis residents, please vote no on the Measure C, the March 6 Davis school tax hike. Acting like a typical government monopoly that it is, the public school bureaucracy always sacrifices students first (fewer days, fewer hours per day, curtailed Wednesdays), always leaving untouched lucrative pension and health care benefits and other perquisites and leaving […]

Waiting for him to decide?

Dear Annie: I have been married to “Clifford” for 36 years. He recently told me he is in love with his secretary and wants to be with her. Did I mention she is 23 and in the process of getting a divorce? Clifford is the last person I would have expected to do this. I […]

Tax needed now, more than ever

I write to encourage Davis voters to participate in the vote-by-mail special election called by our Davis Board of Education. In order to participate, voters must return their ballots to the Yolo County Elections Department by mail, or drop off their completed ballots at the Stephens Branch Library, 315 E. 14th St. in Davis, no […]

Don’t need services? Don’t pay!

Jose Granda and Tom Randall Jr., the official voices against Measure C in the county’s voter information pamphlet that came in the mail on Friday, perceive the use of tax money for our schools as “forced tuition in public schools.” On their website, they suggest that only people with children should be made to pay […]

Children’s views on Measure C

We love school and we love our teachers. We are there to learn, so don’t take it away. It wouldn’t be any fun if there was no library at school. We can’t imagine what life would be like without our school how it is now, and we don’t want to! Please vote yes on Measure […]

Davis students are enriched

With the parcel tax renewal vote coming soon it’s time to remind ourselves of all the reasons we appreciate living in this community and sending our children to Davis schools. My husband and I feel very fortunate that we live within a district where we could choose to send our daughter to a Spanish Immersion […]

Jobless rate still falling; cross your fingers

The issue: Have we finally reached ‘the holy grail of a self-sustaining economic expansion’? If there is such an animal as an economic report of unalloyed good news, the January unemployment report was as close as it gets, especially seen in the context of the recession and the tremendous hurdles in emerging from it. THE […]

College rankings aren’t always reliable

By Dan K. Thomasson WASHINGTON — Everyone knows there is cheating in colleges. Now it turns out some of the institutions themselves cheat. Well, well, imagine that. Who would have thunk it? And guess what? This isn’t one of those scandals involving the athletic department, where schools caught with major NCAA infractions end up being […]

Europe hopes new treaty will forestall recession

The issue: Eurozone success would bolster our own fragile economic recovery On Jan. 1, 1999, 11 members of the European Union took what seemed to be the next logical step in European unity by creating a common currency zone. Three years later, the old national currencies were replaced by new coins and banknotes, the euro. […]

Voracious pythons adapt too readily to Everglades

The issue: Invasive species threaten this important habitat The National Park Service says 1,825 Burmese pythons have been caught in and around the Florida Everglades since 2000. One of the largest — more than 16 feet long and weighing 156 pounds — was caught just in January. THE BURMESE pythons have been joined in the […]

FAA deal only took Congress five years

The issue: Key feature is funding for new GPS technology to direct air traffic The Federal Aviation Administration bill was delayed 23 times, but the agency finally has a law giving it $63 billion and full operating authority for the next four years. For those of you counting, that’s only one year less than the […]

U.S., NATO to depart Afghanistan early

The issue: Our ability to establish democracies in ethnically divided countries with no history of democracy is limited President Barack Obama’s military advisers plan on the U.S. and its NATO allies ending combat operations in Afghanistan perhaps as soon as mid-2013, a year and a half early. That lays the groundwork for the coalition leaving […]

Prisons must cope with surge in elderly inmates

The issue: Cost of health care, equipment and staff training is rising fast In the mid-1990s, there was a mini-wave of “granny dumping.” Elderly people, abandoned by families, showed up at hospitals and Salvation Army facilities, often with a note to the effect: “Please take care of her. We no longer can.” THAT COLD-HEARTED solution […]