I’ll vote for Greenwald, Maguire

Letter writers amaze me with the ways they dress up their message that, “I’m voting for this candidate, and you should, too.” I’ll be direct: I’m voting for Sue Greenwald for council, and Dan Maguire for judge. I agree with Sue on a lot of issues, and I feel she always brings her intelligence, analytical […]

May 20, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Frerichs has a record of service

I think The Enterprise missed the boat on its recommendations for the City Council. I can agree with the recommendations for current Council members Dan Wolk and Sue Greenwald, but I totally disagree with your third choice. You missed out by not recommending Lucas Frerichs, who currently chairs the Davis Planning Commission, where he has […]

Brett Lee is your candidate

We enthusiastically support Brett Lee for City Council. We have been impressed that Brett really listens to the concerns of citizens. He looks you in the eye and does not interrupt. He is willing to look anew at any problem if the questioner has a different view. The City Council needs less ego and more […]

Choose Lee for City Council

I am privileged to be Davis City Council candidate Brett Lee’s campaign manager. We worked together before, when I managed the opposition to Measure X, a large development approved by the City Council just east of the Hunt-Wesson property. It was soundly defeated by the voters. Brett played an important role in that campaign. Brett […]

May 22, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Use local print shops

The influence of unions has been brought front and center this election. In looking at all the fliers, postcards and pamphlets that land in my mailbox, I can’t help but notice the union bug on the vast majority. From individual candidates to the different measures, the little union bug is there. I know of three […]

Wolk’s an environmental leader

Great environmental decisions in our community’s past have required strong leadership from the Davis City Council. City Councilman Dan Wolk is such an environmental leader. Whether it’s his support for our parks, preservation of ag land, improving our water quality, green waste containerization and composting, or the Berryessa Snow Mountain National Conservation Area, Dan has […]

Where’s the official outcry and investigation?

“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” — Elie Wiesel, Holocaust survivor, Nobel laureate (b. 1928) By Michael Bartolic Bribery. Blackmail. Intimidation. Extortion. Election tampering. Conspiracy to commit fraud. The ugliness of the smear aimed at Davis City Councilwoman […]

May 20, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Consider what’s best for our district’s schoolchildren

By Niki Reina-Guerra We’ve all been there. Times are tough all around. What does a resourceful family do when financial times are tight and we need to weather the storm of economic hardship? Do we cut out food, water, shelter, or starve our children of life sustaining necessities? Of course not. We cinch our belts on […]

On the search for elusive treasure

Morning, the cool time of day, is definitely when I should go. I’m excited, but I dress carefully first. I pull on my long-sleeved buzz-off shirt, treated to repel insects, lightweight buzz-off pants and buzz-off socks that are thick and uncomfortable but feel essential. I’ve heard this is a big year for ticks. Because I’m […]

Focus on Health: What is irritable bowel syndrome?

By Ian Logan, M.D. Irritable bowel syndrome is a chronic disorder of the gastrointestinal system that affects up to one in seven Americans. It is the second most common cause of missed work (the first being the common cold). Many people are undiagnosed, often due to being unaware that their symptoms are abnormal. Some people are also reluctant […]

It takes love and time to heal a comfortably numb motherwound

Well, I’m certainly not alone in harboring an old motherwound, based on the number of “me too” emails I received. One in particular really rang true: When your relationship with your mother is troubled, and she dies, you grieve not only her loss, but also the loss of hope that things will change. That hope […]

Maguire’s a great choice

In appointing Dan Maguire to the Yolo Superior Court, Arnold Schwarzenegger made a great choice, even if Maguire did go to Harvard. Roger L. Gambatese Yale graduate, Davis

What do you think: What should be the Davis City Council’s top priority?

Kristin Fugitt nanny, Davis: “The water issues.” Thanh Thanh Uo student, Davis: “Roads, definitely.” Tyler Goodearly student, Davis: “The road by Third Street and University Avenue, where all the poles are. That needs to be fixed.” Spencer Ling student, Davis: “More parking spots would be nice.” Kevin Green veterinary technician intern, Davis: “Schools, just because […]

May 20, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

He’s what we need in a judge

Judge Dan Maguire is who Yolo County needs on the Superior Court, and brings an outstanding set of skills and experiences with him. As a judge myself, serving Yolo County since 1995, I am in one of the best positions to know who is (and who isn’t) qualified to be a judge. All Yolo County […]

May 22, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,