Public safety may be improved by changing course

A few months ago, sitting outside the Community Chambers where a City Council meeting was in session, I was talking with one of the top people employed by the city of Davis. We were discussing staffing in the fire department. I mentioned that we could save around $1.5 million per year, if Davis would go […]

April 24, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

An note of thanks for Emerson Carnival help

On behalf of the Emerson Junior High PTA, I’d like to report that our carnival fundraiser was a success! We raised approximately $18,000 that will be used for the library technology upgrade benefiting both Emerson and Da Vinci junior high students. We hope everyone who attended enjoyed the Butler Amusement carnival this past weekend. It […]

April 24, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Choir sings praises of donors

The Davis High School Advanced Treble Choir would like to thank the Davis business community and other private donors for their charitable support of the ATC’s 10th Anniversary Celebration. Specifically, we would like to thank de Luna Jewelers, John Natsoulas Gallery, A+ Image, A Better Place to Bead, Avid Reader, Baskin Robbins, Bikram Yoga, Donna […]

April 24, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Henle, Saylor left a legacy

To the Davis Football Family, It is with great respect and sadness that we mourn the recent passing of two vital members of our Davis Football Family. Coach Bud Henle was the driving force in establishing Davis High School’s football program. All football coaches who have coached at DHS have Coach Henle to thank for […]

April 23, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Not easy to dispose of bulbs

There is not an easy and simple way in Davis to dispose of fluorescent light bulbs. Household Hazardous Waste is accepted for free at the Yolo County Central Landfill every Friday and Saturday from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm. — not exactly easy for the average resident. The barrier to more efficient disposal seems to […]

April 26, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

New plan has HSR making more sense

It’s beginning to look like California will get bullet trains after all, but it won’t be quite as grandiose a system as what the state’s High Speed Rail Authority at first wanted or what voters approved in the 2008 Proposition 1-A. This apparent new reality can still be thwarted, of course, if an initiative now […]

April 23, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Rising revenues narrow deficit — for how long?

The issue: Small changes has little effect on long-term money woes Based on the first six months of the fiscal year, the Congressional Budget Office expects the federal deficit to be $1.17 trillion, which sounds bad — and it is — but that’s down from $1.3 trillion for fiscal years 2010 and 2011 and $1.4 […]

April 23, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

A full-on identity crisis

Dear Annie: I am a 56-year-old stepfather to two wonderful young women, ages 20 and 17. My wife of five years did a wonderful job raising the girls after their father died. Our relationship is open and trusting. I never call them stepdaughters. I view them as my own. And they tell me they love […]

Eat environmentally sustainable food

Just in time for Sunday’s Earth Day observance, a study published in last week’s Environmental Research Letters warns that animal manure and fertilizers used in growing animal feed emit large amounts of nitrous oxide, a powerful greenhouse gas. An op-ed piece in this week’s New York Times warns that the devastating environmental impacts of a […]

April 20, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

CASA says thanks for the help

Yolo County Court Appointed Special Advocates would like to thank our generous sponsors, donors, and attendees for helping to make our recent 15th annual Cherish a Child Dinner and Auction our most successful one ever. We had 180 people gathered to help support the needs of our local foster youths. Yolo CASA along with National […]

April 20, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Buffett Rule still makes Main Street sense

By Lew Prince As a music store owner, the Buffett I’m usually concerned with is Jimmy Buffett of Margaritaville. But a bunch of lobbying groups who claim to represent small business are making me mad. They’re trying to scare people into believing that job-creating small businesses like mine won’t hire people if the “Buffett Rule” or […]

April 20, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

To say my father is dying

I lost my dad to eternity on Monday, March 19, at 1 a.m. Even as I was an eyewitness to this, holding his hand, even then to say, “My father is dying,” was surreal. That the world has not stopped, save a few of us, to acknowledge this remains confusing to me. Irrational and self-absorbed, […]

April 20, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

From remote exurbs, cities don’t look so bad now

The issue: Housing crisis causes new migration When the GIs came home from World War II, they married, produced the baby boom and moved en masse to a relatively new way of living for most Americans, the suburbs. The suburbs sprouted quickly in the farmland that had once surrounded the cities and soon came to […]

April 20, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Traveling from boat to boat to see the world

In the world of cruising, there are normal passengers and there are superstars. The superstars are people who have taken many cruises with the same company. They get perks and recognition. They puzzle and amaze me. Shortly after my husband and I boarded a 300-passenger cruise ship, the Silver Wind, the cruise director enthusiastically announced […]

April 22, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,