Measure C is not a new tax

I appreciate Jeff Hudson’s persistent coverage of our school financing crisis, but I wish he would choose his words about Measure C a bit more carefully. At least twice, he has described it as a “five-year parcel tax that would charge local homeowners $320 a year, generating an annual total of about $6.5 million.” I […]

DTA action could avoid layoffs

As The Enterprise pointed out Sunday, the Davis Joint Unified School District faces a deficit of $3.5 million, beyond the programs that the Measure C parcel tax pays for, and which we very much need to see passed in order to fund many of the programs that make Davis a unique school district. The district […]

Davis Flea Market lots of fun

Kudos to Lauren Norton and Bernie Goldsmith for the Davis Flea Market for a wonderful event! It is a terrific addition to downtown and brought many people downtown who wouldn’t otherwise be there. The music, the crafts, the unique wares at great prices — if you weren’t there, please come to the next one on […]

This is why you leave it to the professionals

Dear Annie: My husband and I moved from Alaska to Hawaii a year ago to help a friend who is suffering with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease). “John” promised to pay my husband $120 a day if he would leave his job and act as caregiver. My husband agreed, and he not only helps with all […]

Set some funds aside for history

Although I have served on the Davis Historical Resources Management Commission since 2005, it was just a few months ago that I discovered the city maintains a financial account called the “historical fund.” The historical fund is supposed to be used to pay for projects that promote Davis history (such as landmark signs). It is […]

Adding value to our agriculture

By Duane Chamberlain, Don Saylor, Mike Reagan and John Vasquez Telling you that agriculture is important in Yolo and Solano counties is not news to any of us. But if we told you that agriculture is the engine behind a $2.5 billion sector of our economies, you might be interested. When we add that agriculture […]

Obama challenges Congress

The issue: The president puts the ball in the legislators’ court The State of the Union address, regardless of who is president, is usually an overly long and, frankly, not very interesting recitation of administration accomplishments, shout-outs to worthy citizens in the first lady’s seats and an assurance that America is still great — but […]

Massive black hole gets ready for its close-up

The issue: As scientists tell us regularly, there is much we don’t know, but this photo would be a great place to start Black holes are perhaps the most powerful, least understood phenomenon in the universe, but no one has ever really seen one. Astronomers are hoping to photograph one for the first time by […]

Fed sees slow but sure economic recovery

The issue: All the numbers are heading in the right direction and the nation’s economic prospects are brightening Make no mistake: The economy is recovering, just not as fast as anybody, including the Federal Reserve Board, would like. We still may be three to four years away from anything that looks like a full recovery. […]

Law offers no protection for detained Americans

The issue: Bipartisan coalition forming to rectify this egregious error Whether through legislative absent-mindedness or an alarming ignorance of the Constitution, Congress approved a chilling provision in the National Defense Authorization Act, the law that gives the Pentagon the go-ahead to spend the money allocated to it. President Barack Obama signed the measure into law […]

Leave NOAA where it is

The issue: A plan to move the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration from Commerce to Interior is simply unnecessary Last month, President Barack Obama restored authority that was allowed to lapse in the Reagan years that would allow him to reorganize federal agencies to eliminate overlapping and duplicate functions. He brought up the proposal again […]

No, tell us what you really think

Dear Annie: My mother-in-law, “Mary,” is a demanding, conceited, freeloading, depressed 60-year-old witch. She has made our lives miserable for the five years I’ve been married. Mary used to work as a nurse, owned her own home and paid her own bills. Shortly after we married, she quit her job, saying she was too depressed, […]