If he was good-looking, she could understand

Dear Annie: I discovered that my 55-year-old husband of 35 years was texting, calling and receiving calls from a 27-year-old woman for a period of nine weeks. Sometimes there were 200 texts in a day. I’m pretty sure she was sexting him, but I can’t prove it. When I confronted him, I discovered he was […]

UC Davis’ growth will be good for Davis

The issue: The university’s 2020 Initiative should jump-start our local economy It’s no secret that the health of UC Davis has a direct, and fairly immediate, impact on the health of the Davis community. If UCD — our largest employer; indeed, our community identity — is ailing, we ail, too. THAT’S WHY IT has been […]

Sister-in-law keeps things close

Dear Annie: I think my brother-in-law’s wife is attracted to my husband, “James.” James believes this to be true, as well, but he rather enjoys the attention. Whenever we are at his brother’s house, the wife is always flirting with James, touching him and finding reasons to be near him. When it’s time for us […]

Best nutrition as season turns

September marks a change in seasons and the beginning of another school year. Summer activities are winding down as many families return to familiar routines. Alarms are set, coffee is made and parents juggle getting themselves and their children ready for the day. It can be a balancing act to find time for nutritious meals, […]

What do you think: What’s your biggest pet peeve about Davis bikers?

Kimberly Losenara student, Davis: “When they don’t stop at intersections.” John Mogannan student, Davis: “People that just blow through stop signs.” Georgene Redmann mom, Davis: “When there’s a group of bikers taking over the road.” Mesa Tan graduate student, Davis: “They do not know when to hit the brakes.” Michelle Hineser sales representative, Danville: “(Biking) […]

Was stimulus really Keynesian?

You are only a mouse click away from checking Recovery.com to see if Obama’s 2009 stimulus bill was a “trillion-dollar stimulus” as the Republicans keep calling it, saying it didn’t work, which is nonsense, even though some Republican governors tried to stymie the stimulus idea by not accepting any funds for their state. Only about […]

Compassionate care for beloved pets

A few weeks ago, I faced the decision of end-of-life care for my 17-year-old English springer spaniel, Megan. Fortunately, The Davis Enterprise had run a front-page article on Aug. 3 on Beloved Pet Mobile Vet, a pet hospice service. Dr. Lynn Hendrix, who lives in Davis, made home visits and kept in touch regularly by […]

I don’t care; you don’t kill a cop

I can’t believe you spent so much print on what a defense attorney has to say about his client — an accused cop killer. I don’t care if he had a bad day — you don’t kill a cop. I don’t care if he argued with his sister — you don’t kill a cop. I […]

Ensure safe mornings on greenbelt

I am the parent of three Davis students who ride their bikes to and from school every day. Additionally, as the physical fitness instructor at North Davis Elementary, I promote biking to all my students. I am happy to note that almost 200 students regularly ride their bikes to get to school. We are so fortunate […]

Lobby Obama on the Middle East

Please contact President Obama — The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, D.C. 20500; (202) 456-1111; president@whitehouse.gov; www.whitehouse.gov — to urge him to propose the following wording on a United Nations resolution regarding Palestinian statehood: “We call upon both Israel and Palestine to give equal rights in protection, voting, housing, education, health, and all […]

Blessed to live in a caring city

The Celebration of Abraham would like to thank all those who attended the 10-Year Memorial of 9/11 in Davis’ Central Park. We were pleased that well over 100 people attended. Hearing “Dona Nobis Pacem” sung in French, Hebrew and Arabic as we gathered in holding lit candles truly touched my heart. As part of the […]

Social Security is not broken, not broke and certainly not bankrupt

By Mike Thompson On Aug. 14, 1935, after much debate and protest, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed Social Security legislation into law. More than 75 years later, Social Security has become one of the most successful government programs in history. Each year, Social Security reliably pays billions in benefits to millions of beneficiaries and delivers […]

Don’t pass up this opportunity

By Rochelle Swanson and Jim Provenza Most of us want to reduce our energy bills (and reduce greenhouse gas emissions) but don’t know exactly what to do. Should we install energy-efficient windows or add insulation to the attic? Buy an energy-efficient refrigerator or upgrade the heating and air-conditioning system? No two homes, or the families […]