pepper spray coverage

Cory Golden’s coverage of the pepper spray incident was thorough. However, I was disappointed that he felt it necessary to suggest that photos and videos were posted only on “left-leaning websites.” For years, mainstream media have passed on what they consider “news” from conservative sources without labeling them “right-leaning.” Anyone who has viewed the video […]

Back off on rush to judgment

Why are some critics so quick to call for the resignation or dismissal of Chancellor Linda Katehi at UC Davis? Their demands are at odds with the apparent facts of the pepper spray incident. Did she give the order for the spraying? Is she responsible for whatever campus police policy and practices that may have […]

Katehi not of Aggie family

Linda Katehi is quoted as feeling ‘saddened’ at the police action on the Davis campus.  In letters, students, faculty, citizens and alumni have universally avoided ‘sad’ and instead found meaningful adjectives to explain emotions triggered by the brutal pepper spraying of non-violent student protesters: appalled, enraged, grief-stricken, angry, amazed, disbelieving, to name a few. Some […]

She has everything she wants

Dear Annie: For the past three years, I have been in a committed relationship with “Kathleen.” We truly love each other, and I have been like a father to her 10-year-old son, “Brandon.” The problem is, Kathleen is 46 and still lives at home with a mother who rules the roost. Mom has been hostile […]

Ruining it for the rest of them

Dear Annie: My son is in the second grade at a terrific private school. Unfortunately, there is an out-of-control boy who has been in his class since kindergarten. “Boyd” is in the principal’s office nearly every day because he throws temper tantrums, curses the teacher, bullies and otherwise behaves inappropriately. The principal usually lectures him […]

Letter to the UC Davis Police

Dear Editor, This is the letter I sent to the UC Davis Police Chief. Dear Ms. Spicuzza, I am writing an email as a concerned Davis resident over the actions of your police department. I find it incredibly disturbing that passive protesters were pepper sprayed at point blank range. I listened to your comments on […]

Response from a UCD alumnus

Dear Editor: The following is a copy of an email I sent to Chancellor Katehi today: Dear Chancellor Katehi, Greetings! I am a year-2000 UCD alumnus, with a degree in political science and an individual minor in environmental policy analysis. I am currently a doctoral student at the University of Florida. My years at UC-Davis […]

The chancellor should resign

The Nov. 18 pepper-spraying of the peaceful Occupy UC Davis protesters on the campus Quad is by now appropriately infamous. After watching the videos circulating online, I could not contain my disgust. I cannot help but compare in my mind the actions of the UC Davis police to the brutal suppression of peaceful protesters that […]

To the chancellor

Dear Chancellor, Your handling of the recent campus protest amounts to a catastrophic educational failure, making you unfit to continue as chancellor. While your intentions and your decisions may have seemed in your own mind to be sound and appropriate to the situation, they were in fact extremely mistaken and inappropriate. You may have not known nor anticipated […]

Shameful police treatment of UCD protesters

I am ashamed, sickened and disgusted by the tactics employed by the Davis and UCD police. The pepper-spraying of passive protesters is a gross abuse by these officers, whom I pay to protect people and their constitutional rights to free speech and freedom of assembly. This gross abuse merits the investigation and punishment of the […]

I’m sending donations elsewhere

I had been thinking about contributing to the campus recently, as my finances have improved. However, due to the recent actions by Chancellor Linda Katehi and UC Davis Police Chief Annette Spicuzza in permitting Lt. John Pike to illegally pepper-spray students, the funding will not be forthcoming. I fear that this illegal activity against students […]

The curious case of the missing bird

My husband is our Thanksgiving chef and the family that gathers to enjoy his meal now numbers in the mid-20s. When our oven could no longer hold a turkey large enough to feed everyone, he started buying two turkeys and cooking one outdoors. This allows him to strut his stuff. One turkey is conventional; the […]