Daughter flees for greener pastures

Dear Annie: I have been a single mother for 20 years. Four months ago, I was talked into letting one of my daughter’s friends stay with us while her parents searched for a new home in another state. They agreed to pay me a monthly stipend for their daughter’s expenses. This has not happened. I […]

Don’t waste time on this issue

As someone who has practiced or taught city planning for 20-plus years, I am always sad to see some relatively inconsequential local topic consume enormous amounts of citizen, staff and elected leaders’ time when there are so many more important issues to address, including climate change and growing inequality. The cell phone “tower” controversy in […]

Don’t ruin beautiful open space

Early on the morning of Sept. 7, I was at the ATM of US Bank. As I turned to walk away from the ATM, I caught a glimpse of the beautiful trees in the parking lot across F Street being bathed in the early-morning sun. The trees, in response, were casting their shadows throughout the […]

Parking garage doesn’t fit Davis

By Alan Brownstein and Shel Givens Recent articles and letters to The Enterprise supporting the construction of a parking garage at Third and F streets offer a one-sided description of this redevelopment project filled with abstract, adjective-filled generalities. The stark facts of this proposal present a very different picture than the one painted by its […]

Brother sick of the hitting

Dear Annie: I’m 12 years old, and my brother is verbally and physically abusive. Sometimes it’s just playing around, but other times it really hurts. When I yell out, my mom gets involved. She sends us both to our rooms without even knowing what the problem is. She doesn’t want to hear it. She always […]

What do we do with the fear they left behind?

* Editor’s note: This in updated version of a column that ran three weeks after the Sept. 11 attacks. Despite our flag-waving bravado, the terrorists succeeded: They created fear. I see it in a shaky stock market, canceled plane trips, and extremes of security, such as the reported ban on toenail-clippers in carry-on luggage. I see it […]

Looking for some distance

Dear Annie: I am married to a wonderful man with a teenage son from a previous marriage. I love them both dearly. We now have two toddlers and a baby on the way. The problem is my mother-in-law. She left my father-in-law several years ago for a more exciting life (which has failed miserably). Mom […]

‘Tis a gift to be simple, ’tis a gift to be free’

By Alison Rose Munn His legs are shaking. From my vantage point sitting behind him, I think he is going to collapse to the ground in the next second. There is no way he can stay on his feet. As his knees give out, he grips the podium until his hands turn white but his […]

September is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. Are you at risk?

The City of Davis has proclaimed September to be Prostate Cancer Awareness Month to increase awareness of this disease. Prostate Cancer affects one in six men in the U.S. and is more common in African-American men and those with a family history of the disease. It is the second leading cause of cancer-related death in […]

City parking permit costs go up

Has anyone else noticed how the city is getting an extra dollar from each preferential parking permit issued this year? The permits have always expired on Sept. 30 and, at a cost of $12 per year, equate to $1 per month. However, this year’s purchase will only get you 11 months for $12. It seems […]

Giving back brings us together

We are all remembering where we were 10 years ago, when terrorists attacked the United States on Sept. 11, 2001. But let’s also take stock of where we are today. Recently, the U.S. Department of Agriculture employees joined with other federal departments and with farmers, ranchers and local businesses to collect more than 2 million […]

What do you think: How has Sept. 11 changed your life?

Matt Lansing student, Davis: “It made it harder to travel.” Clara Heinicke student, Davis: “I was pretty young when it happened, so I don’t remember how things were before.” Sandra Rogers, Ph.D. business development, Davis: “It has made me more worried when my family gets on a plane.” Brittney McClaire manager, Davis: “9/11 made it […]