Once again, the old Sikh was right

When I was working on my master’s degree at UC San Diego, I lived in graduate student housing off campus. A neighbor of mine, named Ping, was a medical doctor from Taiwan who was pursuing his Ph.D. in immunology. Ping was a nice guy and a dedicated scholar. He took everything in life seriously to […]

March 28, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Lots of babies will be diapered

On behalf of CommuniCare Health Centers and all of the moms and babies in our Perinatal Program, we wish to thank everyone who contributed to making our annual Valentine’s Day Diaper Drive at Davis Community Clinic a wonderful success. This is the second year of our diaper drive, and we collected more than 5,300 infant-size […]

March 27, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Women’s history properly honored

The Yolo County Women’s History Month Committee would like to thank everyone who attended and supported the 25th annual Women’s History Month Luncheon on Thursday, March 8, at the Woodland Community & Senior Center. The luncheon was a sold-out fundraiser benefiting the public libraries in Yolo County. The committee would like to thank Helen Thomson, the 2012 honorary chair and […]

Fighting the battle of the bulge

Curves thanks the many local businesses that helped the Curvette Cadettes win their battle of the bulge during the fourth Boot Camp! Curves is so grateful to the following businesses for donating some wonderful prizes to motivate and reward our members: Aaranna Hair Salon (Nooria), Cooks Collision (Nathan Wendt), European Wax Center (Rick & Vee), Eye of the Needle (Joan), Fish’s Wild, G-Nails & Spa, Girl Gone […]

A fantastic Pig Day, once again

Thank you, Davis, for going hog-wild for Pig Day again this year! So many people and organizations made this our biggest and best Pig Day ever. It wouldn’t be Pig Day without Woodland farmer Jim Neilson’s baby pigs to steal the show, and we thank him for bringing them for the past 18 years. A […]

March 28, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Davis donors fund scholarships

A warm thank you to the many supporters who helped provide scholarships for high school students in the Davis sister city of Rutilio Grande, El Salvador, this year. We are grateful for your generous contributions through our holiday fundraiser and through the city of Davis utilities check-off program. As many Davis residents know, “sister city” […]

Thanks, Rebekahs, for support

Yet one more reason why Davis is the best place in the country for people with disabilities to live — the Rebekah Lodge! The Rebekahs recently held a crab feed that raised $5,000 to support our nonprofit organization, Team Davis. Team Davis serves as our local Special Olympics team but also offers several other athletic, […]

Scouts help feed the hungry

For the Short-Term Emergency Aid Committee (STEAC) to be able to help feed the literally thousands of people we help each year, it takes a tremendous amount of support by our community. We receive cash donations along with food donations and countless hours of volunteer time throughout the year. On, Saturday, March 3, the Boy […]

Davis’ tree lovers worked hard

On Saturday, March 10, scores of volunteers joined together to celebrate Arbor Day, to recognize the 20th anniversary of Tree Davis and to plant trees throughout the Wildhorse neighborhood. The event was a great success and more than three dozen oaks, ashes and other shade trees were added to our urban forest canopy. The many […]

March 29, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Who knew that Tide was in such demand?

The issue: Laundry detergent is big on the black market Manufacturers strive mightily to promote brand recognition and build customer loyalty. PROCTER & GAMBLE may have succeeded a little too well in that regard. Some of the most loyal consumers of its laundry detergent Tide are thieves. Police departments say the theft of Tide nationwide has […]

March 27, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Dip into schools’ reserve

The good news is that Measure C passed. So crisis averted, right? Wrong. Things are still so bad that there will be layoffs of at least 50.1 full-time-equivalent employees, including teachers, counselors and 1.8 vice principals at the junior high level. Once again, the people who work the closest with our children are the ones […]

March 25, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Launch some citizen patrols

Forty-seven burglaries since Jan. 1 of this year? Geez!!! The last was right behind my house! No one has knocked on my door elevating awareness about this spree. I guess my question is, “what else is Davis doing about it?” More patrols?, OK, that doesn’t seem to be working. Have the police enlisted the Neighborhood […]

March 25, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Many of us have discretely joined a new tribe

There’s a tribe that people over 50 belong to and I’m not talking about AARP. This tribe has secrets. It has rites. It has rules. It has suggestions that get passed from one member to another. It has advice that doesn’t make sense to outsiders. “Chill it, it will taste better.” “Swallow fast.” “Drink through […]

March 25, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,