What happened to Russell trees?

Riding out along Russell Boulevard recently, I noted again the six stumps of removed trees, only one of which had some significant interior cavitation. Was the harvest of these trees put to a vote? There are those of us who love trees and have great respect for the elder trees among us; I am one […]

Change to Fifth is a bad idea

When considering reducing part of Fifth Street to one lane in each direction, the city needs to carefully consider the effect on emergency services. Others have written about the fire station; my concern is Midtown Animal Clinic, which can be accessed only off of Fifth Street. In recent weeks, I have been stuck in traffic […]

Concerned about emergency response

On Friday, Nov. 18, UC Davis police called for mutual aid and the Davis Police Department immediately responded from police headquarters and throughout the city. Approximately 12 to 15 patrol cars and other vehicles sped west on Fifth Street with emergency lights flashing. Had Fifth Street been one lane from L to A streets, their […]

Recommit to support education

The board of the UC Davis Foundation has unanimously adopted a resolution regarding the Nov. 18 pepper-spraying on campus, and wishes to share this resolution with the broader community. First, the resolution condemns the excessive use of force to which the students were subjected. This conduct is absolutely contrary to the culture and values of […]

Celebrating our human rights

By Verena Borton On Saturday, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, a remarkable document that changed our world for the better, turns 63. It was adopted by the General Assembly of the United Nations on Dec. 10, 1948, and owes much of its content to the brilliant work of Eleanor Roosevelt, head of the U.N. […]

Newly found planet is most Earthlike yet

The issue: These discoveries go to the core of what makes us humans: We can’t stand not knowing This week witnessed the announcement of two extraordinary astronomical discoveries, once again illustrating that we are not even on the cusp of understanding our universe. NASA ANNOUNCED that its planet-hunting Kepler telescope had found a potentially life-sustaining […]

Russian people are tiring of Putin

The issue: Prime minister undoubtedly will win the March election for president, but his party lost big this month Vladimir Putin became acting president of Russia in 1999. He was elected in his own right in 2000 and easily re-elected in 2004. Rather unexpectedly, given Russia’s history, he chose to honor a constitutional ban on […]

Job market beginning to show faint signs of life

The issue: Many key numbers remain grim, but good things are happening nonetheless The nation’s unemployment rate dropped dramatically and unexpectedly last month to 8.6 percent, down from 9 percent, a level at which it had been expected to be stuck for awhile. THAT IS GOOD NEWS and the White House is entitled, and no […]

If you’ve ever tweeted, you’re in the Library of Congress

The issue: Inane messages take their place alongside a Gutenberg Bible The Library of Congress, the repository of the nation’s most important literature, histories and documents, has reached an agreement with Twitter to archive every public tweet ever sent. THAT MEANS Kim Kardashian’s single-woman’s lament following the breakup of her short-lived marriage this year — […]

First, protect the innocent

Dear Annie: My 12-year-old son recently informed me that his 18-year-old cousin was molesting him. I immediately informed my in-laws. They were in shock and denial. Both said, “Are you sure? Maybe they were experimenting.” I was outraged and disgusted, and so was my husband. I went to the police and filed a report. Both […]

Faculty have no confidence in Katehi

We, the undersigned UC Davis faculty, are compelled by evidence available now to publicly state we have no confidence in the ability of Chancellor Linda Katehi to lead us forward. In our view, the Nov. 18 events and their aftermath have overwhelmed her effectiveness despite her previous accomplishments. Chancellor Katehi showed poor judgment before the […]

The real story of pepper-spraying

When is the public going to read the actual events in the media that happened on the UC Davis campus when the supposed peaceful protesters were, in fact, chanting and surrounding officers so they could not leave? I do not need the video’s producer to tell me that it’s a threat to the officers’ safety. […]

We won’t surrender our rights

The culture of violent confrontation as a policy tool has dramatically exposed its hollow core with the events at UC Davis. As a society, many of us have observed violent actions employing escalating levels of technology carried out against individuals unable or unwilling to defend themselves. These observations have been made from protected and secure […]