It’s an investment for the future

I am a bit perplexed by the reactions of some people to the water rate proposals made by the city of Davis. Like everyone else, our family does not enjoy paying more than necessary for services. But let’s look at our water rates and compare these to other communities. Our family currently pays $25 per […]

Legal decision lacks common sense

Prison doctors cannot forcibly medicate Jared Lee Loughner. That is what a three-judge panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled last week. From a legal perspective, perhaps it was the right decision. The chief judge, Alex Kozinski, a Reagan appointee, is an unusually smart lawyer. He was joined by two Clinton appointees, Kim […]

Preseason greed could end NFL lockout

The issue: Lure of games’ cash may sway owners to end this senseless labor dispute Any real pro football fan realized long ago that preseason games are virtually worthless — a pitiful rite of summer in which nothing really counts except injuries, and ticket money that is extorted from sweltering fans. But finally, it appears […]

Are foreign grad students good for us?

The University of Southern California enrolls more foreign students as both undergraduates and advanced graduate students than any campus in America. Stanford, UCLA, UC San Diego and UC Berkeley are all among the top 15 in both categories, too. Which means that foreign student tuition, often paid at premium out-of-state levels by temporary legal immigrants […]

Is decline of U.S. exaggerated?

By Jay Ambrose Reports of his death, Mark Twain once humorously said, were greatly exaggerated. And so are reports of America’s decline. But there’s an obvious difference. Death is final and definitive and has either happened or it hasn’t, which means you cannot really exaggerate it. Decline is a process, and even when dismal predictions […]

Illegals increase GOP power, for now

At almost every chance they get, prominent Republican politicians spew a line of anti-illegal immigrant rhetoric they insist is true, even when most of their claims are unproven. They excoriate illegals for depriving Americans of jobs. Yet experiments carried out at unemployment offices indicate American citizens refuse even to apply for unskilled farm, hotel, restaurant […]

9/11 memorials spread across the country

The remaining wreckage of the Twin Towers and the fire and rescue vehicles that tried vainly and fatally to save them are in Hangar 17 at New York’s JFK airport. The goal of the artifacts’ caretakers is to have the hangar largely empty by the 10th anniversary of 9/11 two months from now. SOME OF […]

Davis family enjoys a ‘staycation’

A Davis family who normally goes on a number of camping trips and visits family out of state decided to stay put during the middle of this summer, by taking a downtown Davis “staycation.” Twelve-year Davis residents Kyle Monhollen and Amy George, along with their two daughters Hazel, 8, and Nola, 6, “wanted to become […]

When in-laws are landlords

Dear Annie: My husband and I have been happily married for 10 years. Two years ago, we both lost our jobs, so we moved in with his parents. The problem is, my in-laws are so used to getting their way that they become angry when they don’t. Friends and family members usually give in to […]

Does a young kid need sleep meds?

Dear Annie: For the past two years, my 4-year-old granddaughter has been given medication to “help her enter REM sleep” at night, and the dosage was recently increased. She seems drugged and impossible to wake up. This drug worries me, and I also have no clue what the long-term effects might be. I mentioned my […]

Big heart, or just creepy?

Dear Annie: My husband and I have been separated for three years. Things had been going well until he got involved in an offbeat church and began housing homeless people of different backgrounds. I couldn’t take it anymore and left. He recently took in a 16-year-old foreign girl who has a toddler and a year-old […]

Privacy is vital to freedom from ‘Big Brother’

“Big Brother Is Watching You” was the pervasive punch-line in British writer George Orwell’s classic novel “1984.” Now we know Big Brother is listening too. Revelations that Rupert Murdoch’s News International Corp. for years has conducted massive hacking into British cell phone information is truly shocking. Alleged targets include cell phones of a murdered young […]

What do you think: What are you doing for your summer vacation this year?

Asked in downtown Davis Compiled and photographed by Chloe Kim 0717wdyt01w Rob Kamisky, engineer, Davis: “I’m working. Turned out to be the busy time of year for me.” 0717wdyt02w John Leonard, marketing consultant, Grass Valley: “I just came back from it. I was on a beach trip in Aptos.” 0717wdyt03w Amber Frankhuizen, leasing, Folsom: “I’ll […]

Study: Sweat the salt and potassium levels

As sweat pours from the pores of many Americans enduring summer heat waves, it might be time to do a little checkup on salt. Most research over the past few decades indicates that too much salt in the diet overloads the kidneys and cranks up blood pressure, increasing the risk for heart disease and stroke. […]