Is it morally, ethically right?

This is an open letter to the Davis City Council, city manager and chief of police. Based on information posted online Thursday, it appears the city of Davis intends to shut down the Occupy Davis encampment in Central Park. While I am sure the Occupy protest movement doesn’t speak for everyone in Davis, I’m equally […]

Surface water is our future

I am concerned that the water rights for river water that are now available, if not exercised, will disappear. Nothing in California is fought over as seriously as water, and I believe that it is a delusion to hope that these rights will continue to be available in the future if not exercised. I realize that obtaining this […]

A watershed moment in history

Once again, hats off to City Councilman Dan Wolk for working with referendum sponsor Mike Harrington and others, including Mayor Pro Tem Rochelle Swanson, to draft a good start at how best to move forward on reconciling our water needs economically, scientifically, ecologically and affordably. The real hard work, of course, will follow Tuesday’s council […]

Parkinson’s disease culprits lie in, outside cells

Parkinson’s disease, a movement disorder that affects at least a half million Americans, has come to be blamed on a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Although there seems to be some shared risk factors among families, fewer than 10 percent of cases are linked to a single gene mutation, and not every person who […]

Radio tower proposal threatens wetlands birds

By Eileen M. Samitz, Pam Nieberg and Alan Pryor On Tuesday, the Davis City Council will consider a resolution by the the city’s Open Space and Habitat Commission strongly opposing a proposal by Results Radio, a Santa Rosa radio conglomerate, to build a new tower at the Yolo County Central Landfill. The proposed tower, at […]

Katehi op-ed: How do we learn from this?

By Linda Katehi The use of pepper spray against peaceful protesters at UC Davis was highly regrettable, tearing at the heart and soul of our campus. Like any great institution that has been challenged, the test now is how we learn from it and become even stronger as a result. As chancellor, I take full […]

Policing’s ‘new normal’ doesn’t work with white folks

By Daniel Filler We have reached an important crossroads in American policing. In the aftermath of the UC Davis pepper spray debacle, people are finally tuning in to the militarization of the American police. This shift is hardly new; it’s been happening since Sept. 11, 2001. And this militarization, and the attendant cultural shift within […]

Behind her back

Dear Annie: I work for a major corporation, and I like my job. However, my boss has betrayed me. She is single, and I wanted to set her up with a friend of my boyfriend. She sent me her picture, and my boyfriend asked me to send the pic to his phone so he could […]

One person can make a difference

On behalf of the volunteers of Project Linus of Yolo County, we would like to thank Eliana Meyer publicly for her generous contribution to our chapter. Eliana’s bat mitzvah service project consisted of three parts: Eliana donated many blankets she made herself; she asked her friends and family to make blankets that were donated to […]

Help support the Holiday Meal

The Davis Food Co-op is hosting the 26th annual Holiday Meal on Dec. 24 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Veterans’ Memorial Center. Last year, the Holiday Meal served a full nutritious dinner, free of charge, to more than 500 people. I appreciate the support we have received in the past from local businesses […]

A one dollar-one vote world

Your editorial of Nov. 17 opines that Occupy Wall Street has made its point and that the encampments themselves are now the issue. It then recommends that the occupiers work for change by supporting candidates and voting. OK, but voting ain’t what it used to be. Regardless of vote counts, elected officials still will be […]

Let’s try a ballot measure

Protests on University of California and California State University campuses opposing tuition increases have raised valid concerns about rising fees and overspending on excessive salaries of high-ranking officials. Unfortunately, the methods of protest — such as sit-ins, camp-outs, blocking passageways and other forms of civil disobedience — are counterproductive in obtaining the change that is […]

State budget is the real culprit

The Occupy Wall Street protesters may not realize it, but they have had their protest hijacked. It was about disparity between the 99 percent and the 1 percent, Wall Street executives not being held accountable, high tuition, the Supreme Court giving massive power to corporations in the Citizens United decision, still no real regulations on Wall Street […]

Impressed by the protesters

In response to David M. Castro’s scathing satellite rebuke of the protest movement from his residence in Chico (Letters, Nov. 27), I would like to take a moment to point out a few differences in his experience that he seems to directly apply to the current student body. Using information contained in his letter (I […]