Husband’s eyes keep wandering

Dear Annie: My husband and I have been married for 21 years, and we have five wonderful children. “Tom” is 50, and I am 39. In the past few years, Tom has developed an annoying habit. He openly ogles attractive women and young teenage girls. I can understand one glance, but he stares. After we […]

Time to retire the political pie in the face

The issue: Federal judge does his part to send this stupid tradition packing The pie in the face is a low-brow, slapstick comedy gambit that dates back to vaudeville and silent films. “Pieing,” depending on the circumstances, say when baseball players do it during post-game interviews, might be funny the first time, much less so […]

Labor Day celebrates what, exactly?

The issue: The union movement certainly has become muddied Big Bill Hutcheson was a driving and powerful force in the labor movement as president of the United Carpenters and Joiners. He built his union to be a force to be reckoned with in the bare-knuckled days of the 1920s, ’30s and ’40s. He was every […]

Don’t miss Fishman’s ‘Mambo’

This letter concerns the book reading at The Avid Reader at 7:30 p.m. Saturday of Davis resident Jerry Fishman’s new book. There are books one reads for entertainment, and there are books that change our way of looking at history. “How Nixon Taught America to do the Kent State Mambo” is such a book. Students […]

Thank you, B&L Bike Shop

Davis Bicycles! and Save-a-gallon would like to thank B&L Bicycle Shop and Electra Bicycles for a wonderful time at their Bike Block Party on Aug. 20, and for selecting us to receive the proceeds of a raffle of two Electra bicycles. It was a great opportunity to talk to the many parents who visited about […]

Hartman is a cherished teacher

I was pleasantly surprised when I received a warm-hearted letter from Don Hartman, my former sixth-grade teacher at Pioneer Elementary. He mailed letters to all his former students wishing them the best of luck as we begin our high school journey. He reminded us of all our accomplishments and special memories that we shared as […]

Interested in Chinese? Say so!

We are a group of parents campaigning for the Davis Joint Unified School District to offer Chinese language instruction at Holmes Junior High School and to avoid further reduction to the current Chinese program at Davis High School. There is great interest in learning Chinese in our community and junior high students should be given […]

Get green from sewage plant

There is absolutely no reason why the residents of Davis shouldn’t have all their energy and water needs met and having them partially paid for as well. As it stands now, Davis will be investing tens of millions of dollars into this sewage treatment plant and the only thing the residents are going to get […]

Don’t delay your water protest

The article in Wednesday’s Enterprise reads like a city public relations release. Maybe the reporter should have left her name off. Op-eds and articles have been heavily weighted in favor of the wasteful and unnecessary water project that will increase city staff and drain thousands of dollars each year from the pocket of every homeowner […]

U.S. needs to fight waste, corruption in war zones

The issue: Congress should act quickly on commission’s sensible and useful recommendations In 2008, long after tales of waste and fraud in Iraq and Afghanistan had begun circulating widely, Congress got around to appointing a bipartisan commission to investigate how the billions the U.S. was investing in aid, rehabilitation and private security forces were being […]

Overwhelmed by the little things

Dear Annie: “Bill” and I have been married for seven years, but since our first child was born, I’ve felt like a horrible nag. I have to remind him frequently to pick up after himself and finish what he started. He leaves all the cabinet doors open and throws his clothes and other belongings all […]

In-laws hijack birthday party

Dear Annie: I’m recovering from cancer. To thank my husband for being so helpful, caring and patient during my treatment, I want to give him a nice party for his 30th birthday. He liked the idea and put together a guest list. I mentioned this to my in-laws, and they offered to help. The next […]