Budget setback: Attacks on farm, ethanol subsidies fail

The issue: Spending cuts will get us only so far in cutting the deficit; at some point, Congress will have to talk about new revenue Congress has been talking a great game about restoring fiscal sanity to the federal budget, but actually doing so is proving truly difficult, especially if the budgetary changes affect favored […]

They don’t approve of him

Dear Annie: I have been in a relationship with “Derek” for two years. I love him dearly and know we will marry someday. The problem is, my sister and her husband will not accept Derek because we started dating when he was still going through a divorce. Annie, I know we should have waited until […]

Lies wreck marriage

Dear Annie: I dated “Tony” for a year before we married two years ago. I thought I knew him, but shortly after the wedding, I discovered that everything about him was a lie. This included falsehoods about his financial situation, his family, his ex-wife, his children and his jobs. He lied about little things, big […]

Happy 236th birthday, U.S. Army

The Veterans of Foreign Wars, Davis Post 6949 celebrated the 236th birthday of the United States Army on June 14 at the Davis Veterans’ Memorial Center. Although Flag Day has origins dating back to 1777, the Continental Congress authorized the creation of the Continental Army on June 14, 1775. Members of Post 6949, encompassing all of the services, celebrated this event by recognizing […]

Missing the big picture on bags

Bob Dunning has devoted several recent columns to ridiculing the idea that plastic bags from Davis could be entering our waterways or finding their way to the ocean. While I don’t find that idea nearly as implausible as Dunning does, I think the real disservice is his myopic focus on “plastic bags in waterways” as […]

Konocti supports teachers’ salaries

On June 15, the Board of Trustees of the Konocti Unified School District in Lower Lake adopted Resolution 19-10-11, “Support of America’s Weapons Rebate To Education Act.” 

Byron Giese, president of the 160-member Konocti Education Association, submitted the resolution to the board and recommended its adoption. Konocti Unified School District serves nearly 3,000 students in […]

Under all those clothes lurks a soccer player

The issue: Female athletes in Iran already face a tough road, so let them play You would have to be pretty hardhearted not to feel for the members of Iran’s national women’s soccer team crying recently on the sideline of a stadium in Amman, Jordan. THEIR SCHEDULED game against the Jordanian national team was declared […]

Construction workers always come first

By Ron Brown In every successful business, employees make the difference. This requires an ongoing top-down commitment to making sure workers are respected, protected and valued. That is especially true in the construction trades, where a diverse group of skilled subcontractors join with a general contractor to build projects of all sizes and specifications. Many […]

Words of our fathers

Dear Readers: Happy Father’s Day to all the men in our reading audience who have enjoyed the pleasures and shouldered the responsibilities of raising children. This includes fathers, stepfathers, grandfathers and those who have stepped in as father figures for those who needed them. Bless you all. Having a loving father is not only one […]

Tired of the emotional bullying

Dear Annie: I’m so confused. I have been married for 15 years and have five kids. Our married life started out great, but for the past several years, it has been dwindling to the point where I don’t know if I want to stay. My husband will tell me in the morning that he hates […]

Promoting litter-box harmony

Few things unite cat owners like hatred for the never-ending chore of cleaning the litter box. However, some cats exhibit a similar disdain or anxiety for the litter box, which leads to inappropriate urination — a bad situation for everyone in the home. Understanding litter box behavior can help keep both cats and owners happy. […]

Confused at the oral care aisle

By Samer S. Alassaad, D.D.S. A walk through the oral care aisle can be overwhelming today with all the different products available to us especially when each manufacturer promotes its own products well. Research shows that the ultimate oral care regimen involves both mechanical and chemical cleaning. Mechanical cleaning with a toothbrush and floss is […]

It’s OK to try medical marijuana after you’re already dead

So, midlife, this is what you’re throwing at me next? Arthritis? Jerk. It’s still in the early stages, but it’s there. Knees, hips, shoulders, hands, back — they’re all complaining over the most innocuous activities, like walking or bending over, or even getting up after I’ve been sitting awhile. Sitting hurts! How pathetic is that! […]