Until I get through menopause, just call me ‘Burger’

What I expected after 11 years of perimenopause: My cycle would just stop cycling, the hot flashes and night sweats would simply end, I’d dab a nostalgic tear from my eye, and with a bittersweet wave goodbye to fertility, I’d toss my tampons in the trash, and start taking tai chi and watercolor classes, and […]

They aren’t exactly the Brady Bunch

Dear Annie: A few years ago, I married a wonderful, thoughtful, caring man. It was a second marriage for both of us. When we were dating, everything seemed to be perfect. His two sons are grown and out of the house, and he has two teenage girls still at home. My son was so excited […]

Heritage Dinner boosts scholarships

Cabrillo Club No. 26 thanks all those who attended the Sept. 24 Heritage Dinner to raise funds for the scholarship fund. We also want to thank the members and friends who donated prizes, specifically, Olga Silva for her hand-crocheted items and Mary Ellen Lemos for her home-baked Portuguese cookies. We are also grateful to the […]

A great Day in the Country

The Yolo Land Trust thanks the greater Yolo County community and beyond for a successful “A Day in the Country” held on Sept. 11 at Park Winters. Park Winters owners Rafael Galiano, John Martin and Summer Rodman opened their gardens to more than 700 guests who enjoyed the scrumptious food created by Yolo County chefs […]

Jazz Choir offers its thanks

The Davis High School Jazz Choir and Davis Jazz Choir Inc. would like to thank the many people who helped to make our second annual dance competition, “Everybody Dance Now!” such a wonderful success. First, we would like to thank student contestants Daniel Dutulescu, Sarah Garrett, Ioana “Jo” Seritan, Bryce Vaewsorn, Devayani Varma, Giavanna Moreno, […]

Give proper credit to Obama

To the citizens of Libya, Please accept the congratulations and best wishes of the American people for your hard-won freedom from tyranny and our hopes for a brighter and more prosperous future. When your celebrations subside and you begin to assess the reasons why your efforts to achieve a more free and just society have […]

Check out facts on prize winner

The Abagandoura letter of Oct. 19 overlooked some key points in the awarding of a Nobel Peace Prize to Tawakul Karman. As quoted from the esteemed Hudson New York: “Tawakul Karman … is a member of a Muslim Brotherhood party with an Al-Qaida-linked official as one of its senior leaders. The committee chairman acknowledged her […]

Listen to us, please, on water

Is it just me, or have we stopped listening to each other altogether? On a larger front, we hear people say they’re opposed to illegal immigration. That seems to have translated into being opposed to immigration, being against people wanting to improve their lives, and perhaps even being racist! What happened to the word “illegal”? […]

100 years later, give thanks to our foremothers

By SueAnn Freeman On Monday, Oct. 10, members of the American Association of University Women, the League of Women Voters and the National Organization of Women braved a torrent of rain as they marched from the California State Museum to the state Capitol in Sacramento to celebrate the anniversary of 100 years of voting rights […]

U.N. will declare 2012 to be the International Year of Cooperatives

By David J. Thompson Oct. 24 is a red-letter day among supporters of cooperatives. The Rochdale Equitable Pioneers Society became a legal entity on Oct. 24, 1844. From that day on, modern cooperation became an organizational reality. The Rochdale Equitable Pioneers Society was registered under the Friendly Societies Act of 1836. It is believed that […]

Infant sleep positions prompt new guidelines

Put your baby on his or her back to sleep. Since 1994, that’s been the dominant message of national campaigns aimed at protecting babies younger than 1 from dying suddenly in their sleep. Yet for nearly a decade, most infant-safety advocates have realized that even though “back to sleep” reduced the SIDS rate by up […]

Private zoos need serious rules

The issue: Taking wild animals out of their natural habitat and corraling them with loose standards is a recipe for disaster There’s nothing that makes the case for government regulation like having wild carnivores — lions, tigers, grizzly bears — turn up in your yard. Or have your local schools closed because free-running wolves and […]

Husband just won’t give up

Dear Annie: My husband and I have been married more than 40 years. We are retired, have no debts and are financially comfortable. We have a great family. Due to age and medical conditions, my husband is almost completely impotent. But he won’t stop trying. I have done everything I can think of to discourage […]

What do you think: What was your first concert experience?

Frank Avila personal banker, Woodland: “It was actually in Davis, a band called Ozomatli.” Hilva Camilo student, Davis: “I think it was here in Davis. I’ve seen an African drums, African dance kind of performance. It was amazing, gorgeous.” Jacque McKee property manager, Davis: “Whitney Houston. It was awesome. It was on Mother’s Day and […]