Worried about distant friend

Dear Annie: I have a friend in Alabama who is being physically and mentally abused by her adult son. I’ve called domestic abuse hotlines for information, and I gave my friend a phone number to call in case she needed someone to talk to. She seemed happy that I was looking out for her, and […]

January 12, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Are we there yet? An ode to a simple household tool

If I were stranded on a deserted island with only one household item, I might have to choose the laundry basket. I guess it’s hard to imagine how this laundry basket and I ended up on the island, but let’s just go with it. I’m not sure what a typical number of laundry baskets per […]

Give DACHA members a break

It was with some dismay but no surprise that I read Sunday’s op-ed piece, “Speak up now for Twin Pines.” At first blush, it appeared that the op-ed was about the survival of Twin Pines Cooperative Foundation. But as I read on, it became clear the essay was merely another exercise in bashing the Davis […]

January 17, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Make rear lights mandatory

As a follow-up to my last letter on same subject, in the same way that a car cannot be sold without all lights fully operational, perhaps all bicycles should not be sold or serviced without the same restriction applying? It’s somewhat bizarre, if not perverse, that in Davis, emphasis appears only to be placed on […]

January 13, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Safe disposal information needed

Where are we to safely dispose of household smoke detectors? This past weekend, the Yolo County Central Landfill would not accept them. The county’s website, however, states that the landfill will accept them daily, not even requiring that disposal only occur at household hazard waste events: “YES — residents are encouraged to return them to […]

January 12, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Are you proud of your country?

* Editor’s note: This is the award-winning essay in the Veterans of Foreign Wars Patriot’s Pen youth essay contest. By Habboba Badreldin Musa As an American, I feel very proud when I think about the sacrifices and efforts that Americans have put into making our country what it is now — the most highly advanced […]

Giffords making a miracle recovery

The issue: If she decides to seek re-election, it would be a demonstration of the resilience and optimism of our political system U.S. Rep. Gabrielle “Gabby” Giffords returned to the scene of the crime for the first time Sunday. THE SCENE WAS parking lot of a Safeway store in Tucson, Ariz., where Giffords was holding […]

January 12, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Iran’s threats surely will backfire

The issue: Closing off access to the Persian Gulf would be suicidally stupid Iran’s parliamentary elections are March 2, and this week the slate of candidates will be announced, after the Council of Guardians prunes it of serious political opponents. THIS ELECTION will be as rigged as the 2009 presidential election, and the increasingly embattled […]

January 13, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Political decision made at the right time

The issue: White House girds for election year with new chief of staff The job of White House chief of staff is not one that needs an excuse for leaving: It is a killer. For all the tough decisions that wind up on the president’s desk, even more of them wind up on the chief […]

January 18, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

On MLK Day, words matter

The issue: Misleading quote on King memorial in our nation’s capital leaves the wrong impression Traditionally, nations have been defined by geographic boundaries, common ethnic and linguistic heritage, subjugation into larger political entities or even accidents of history. Some of this may be true for the United States, but almost uniquely we are a nation […]

January 15, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Father’s eating gets out of control

Dear Annie: I am increasingly disgusted by my dad. He is obese and getting bigger, and he won’t (can’t?) stop eating. He and my mother recently stayed in our home for a long weekend. When we went out for breakfast, Dad ordered enough food to feed three people — steak, eggs, hash browns, toast, and biscuits […]

January 11, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,