Allow us to protect our homes

Burglary and fire statistics for Davis show there is a considerably greater risk of having your house burglarized in Davis than having it catch fire yet the state building code prohibits residents from choosing for themselves the method of protecting their homes from unlawful entry. The double key locks on security doors are prohibited by the […]

Please abolish the death penalty

The following is an open letter to the Davis City Council: Although Senate Bill 490 is not technically within the purview of city government, its passage certainly would mean the availability of funds for Davis and the other cities of our state. That is one of the chief reasons I respectfully request that you, as […]

Solutions to avoid pool closures

My thanks to Elena Bock for bringing the swimming pool issue to the attention of the community — amazing for a 10-year-old! What a shame so few understand what is happening to our wonderful city.The City Council needs to hear from others, so we can save Davis as we know it, and keep it a […]

Say no to the hate-mongers

Ten years have passed since the tragic Sept. 11 attack on America. The evil attack was used as an excuse to curtail many of our civil liberties as the Bush administration established military tribunals, expanded wiretapping authority and began holding deportation hearings in a shroud of secrecy. Every Muslim and others who were perceived to […]

He doesn’t want any help

Dear Annie: My husband has had several chronic illnesses during the past 20 years. He takes 15 different prescription medications a day and has frequent doctor visits and testing. Our medical bills are through the roof. When credit card interest rates went up, we were unable to meet our monthly bills. We have cut out […]

‘Can’t-do’ spirit moves primary to June

There is a new spirit afoot in California. Call it “can’t-do.” It’s the very reverse of the ethos that made California into America’s largest state, the center of world technical innovation and social progress. No political move of the last few months epitomizes this new attitude better than one decision by state legislators and Gov. […]

Oh, so that’s where I am!

Dear Annie: My husband and I were married for 47 years. Four years ago, he said he wanted to “find himself.” A month later, he was in Las Vegas (with another woman), using the company car and gas card. When he stopped answering his phone, I called his manager to find out where he was, […]

Social pressures and the ‘odd’ friend

Dear Annie: My 12-year-old son, “Mark,” is starting middle school. He has a semi-friend, “Scott,” whom he met in day care years ago. In spite of attending different schools, they have maintained a friendship, but it has diminished with time. Mark and Scott now have little in common. Mark has lots of friends and is […]

Qatar’s support was courageous

On behalf of the Libyan people, I would like to thank Qatar people and government for its courageous role in assisting Libyan people in their revolution. In fact, many countries assisted the Libyan people but the role of Qatar was the most prominent. Qatar has been the most active Arab supporter of the people of […]

Thanks for sprucing up bikes

I want to publicly thank Dennis Dingemans, who retired from UC Davis but who has a new career as a bike czar for our Old North Davis neighborhood. Dennis takes lost and abandoned bikes, and/or bikes that are being sold at garage sales and need work, and turns them into effective, usable modes of transportation. […]

Thanks for the school supplies

The Davis Bridge Educational Foundation would like to thank Edward Jones Investments and Yolo County Supervisor Matt Rexroad, founder of Yolo County Backpacks for Kids, for the very generous donation of backpacks and school supplies. I particularly want to thank Susie Evans from Edward Jones and all of the volunteers from Yolo County Backpacks for […]

Which is the greater public enemy?

The front page of the Aug. 30 edition of The Davis Enterprise juxtaposes two items: The leading story exclaims “UC sees rise in high earners” and the secondary item proclaims “County thwarts welfare thieves.” One can only wonder which of the two is the greater public enemy? These two items succinctly reflect the problem with our divided […]

Retiree benefits are of great concern

After reading the recent article regarding the city budget, I was motivated to write this letter. There is an apparent $2.5 million shortfall in this year’s city budget. The question posed to the small group of citizens present was, what services should be cut and/or saved? One million of the $2.5 million is to be […]