Speak up about cell towers

Would you like a mini-cell tower located in front of your house? The city of Davis is processing an application from a company called Crown Castle (on behalf of Metro PCS) to build 25 mini-cell towers in residential neighborhoods. The Planning Commission will make a recommendation at 7 p.m. Wednesday. Currently, the city’s telecommunications ordinance […]

News was a lie, but contract is better

“A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to put its pants on.” —Winston Churchill No one is going to remember that it was a lie. It wasn’t even an approximation of the truth. It was a real whopper, this one. Yet The Enterprise and other publications reprinted it, taking […]

Aging sister stuck in a bad place

Dear Annie: A year ago, my 73-year-old sister, “Jenny,” married a man she barely knew. He had been married three times before, and she was aware that he had problems. Being a nurturing person, she thought she could help him. They live off of his Social Security and my sister’s pension checks. They are now […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; (202) 456-1111; fax: (202) 456-2461; email: president@whitehouse.gov U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3841; fax: (202) 228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House […]

On religion and extremism

The Norwegian mass murderer, Anders Brelvik, identifies himself as a Christian. More specifically, he says he is a moderate Protestant, who thinks that Protestant churches should unify under the Catholic Church. Presumably this is to better counter the Muslim threat. He says he is not a religious Christian and does not have a personal relationship […]

How are cuts affecting courts?

As a retired court clerk I’m (still) waiting for some sort of statement from our Yolo County presiding judge or court administrator relative to curtailment of hours/services/personnel in the wake of budget cuts throughout the justice system statewide. All I’ve read about is that we “may” still receive the construction funds as promised. (Those funds […]

Safety first in parking lots

To all parents: When your 4- or 5-year-old son or daughter is running through the parking lot to your car, do you think that driver backing up in the SUV will see them? Tina McKee Davis

No cell towers in my neighborhood

By Susan Monheit I was disturbed to receive a notice from the Davis Planning Commission of intent to deploy cell phone antennas throughout my neighborhood, by mounting them on existing light poles. Even more distressing was the fact that one such antenna is proposed to be mounted directly outside my 11-year-old daughter’s second-story bedroom window […]

With friends like these …

Dear Annie: My daughter, “Julia,” is 16 and has not one true friend. Her friends are all nice, polite girls and boys, but they ditch her on a regular basis. They cancel scheduled outings at the last minute or never show up. Julia is reliable, loyal and compassionate. She knows how to be a supportive […]

It’s a long way back

Dear Annie: My wife, “Amy,” is 26. She is a wonderful, pretty girl, and I love her to pieces. We’ve been married two years. Her married sister, “Zoe,” is a year older and supermodel gorgeous, but I have never been even remotely attracted to her. A few months back, we had a big family party […]

Get ready for some fun times, thanks to planet Mercury

Oh, you can feel it heating up already. Summer, yes. But Mercury Retrograde, too. Now, I’m not an astrologer, but I have friends who are, and they swear by the stars. Me, I’m willing to consider that there’s something to it, that things fall into natural place without interference. It’s like walking on a sideways […]

Homeowners, please protest rates

I’m glad that Andrea Glasgow raised the issue of the recommendations of a study by UC Davis water quality professors. Unfortunately, this study took place before new technology for the production and storage of ferrates — which can cheaply purify our groundwater — was announced. This alternative does not require prohibitively expensive and completely unnecessary […]

Don’t just walk by the Hattie Weber Museum, stop in!

Mary Lee Thomson An often-heard comment by visitors to the Hattie Weber Museum of Davis in Central Park is, “I’ve walked by here hundreds of times but this is the first time I’ve been in.” Almost everybody who says this promises to come again after seeing what the museum has to offer. Many do just […]