Ease the pain in itchy pets

Most pets, and their owners for that matter, will develop an occasional itch that typically does not represent a significant health concern. However, there are several reasons why a dog or cat might become itchy for a more prolonged time or to a higher degree of severity, which can be very hard on the pet. […]

Public lobbyists’ value can be judged by voters

The issue: Is paying twice worth the price for cities, schools and universities? Cities, public schools, state university systems and other local government entities are presumably ably represented by lawmakers in the Senate and House of Representatives, but many feel the need for additional representation in Washington. It’s not cheap. THE STATE UNIVERSITY of New […]

A historic warship, in need of saving

The issue: Philadelphia’s Seaport Museum is looking for a state, city or charitable organization to take ownership of the Olympia By rights, the USS Olympia should be one of our nation’s most-treasured, best-cared-for naval artifacts. THE OLYMPIA was launched in 1892. According to her website, she is the world’s oldest floating steel warship and the […]

Libya’s latest weapon against NATO: lawsuits

There is an incorrigible breed of activist European lawyers who will not rest until they find some way of getting American political and military leaders into the dock of international courts on war crimes charges. Belgium adopted a legal doctrine of universal jurisdiction whereby serious crimes could be tried in Brussels regardless of where the […]

What do you think: Would you miss the downtown post office if it closed?

Turker Garip student, Davis: “Of course. The other post office is too far, and the woman working (at the Third Street location) is very sweet.” Phyllis DeMoura housewife, Davis: “No, I don’t use it.” Bruce Berry arborist, Davis: “No, I won’t miss it. The other one’s the only one we go to.” Robyn Bryson student, […]

Seeking a connection with a stranger in Queens

* Editor’s note: Marion is on summer vacation. This column first appeared in January 2005. Today I am on the subway, thundering towards the apartment of my mother’s oldest living friend, Vera, who resides in Jackson Heights, Queens. My mother and Vera met at work in the 1940s, but they didn’t see much of each […]

Looking for a reason to stay

Dear Annie: I am a 43-year-old male and have been in a common-law relationship with “Carol” for the past six years. I’ve never been married, but I proposed to Carol. We have a daughter together. I also have a teenager from a previous relationship, and Carol can’t stand her. Carol has two boys from a […]

Too costly? Think of the alternative

WATER? In some countries people (mostly women) walk a few miles round trip to carry a gallon or more of muddy water on their heads back to their village. If we believe the price of clean water, delivered to our homes, is too high, I’ll bet that, with a bit of with practice three or […]

Reckless game of economic chicken

It is hard to watch the reckless game of economic chicken being played by those in Congress who are opposed to raising the debt limit. The consequence of this game will be a head-on collision of the largest economy in the world, sending it into a broken heap on the side of the road. By […]

Let’s grab our water from the air

By John R. Pike I have attended two of the public hearings concerning the proposition made by the city of Davis Public Works Department to raise Davis’ water rates. Based upon the comments made by those attending and the responses received, there appears to be a significant gap in the information flow about what is […]

The security state comes to Norway

The issue: Shocking attack reveals big holes in country’s ability to respond to crisis There is no foolproof defense against a would-be killer who is both evil and irrational, as is Norway’s alleged largest mass murderer, Anders Behring Breivik. His own lawyer called him cold and insane. HE APPEARS to believe his is a warrior […]

No clues after dramatic change

Dear Annie: I have been married to “Jim” for three years, and we lived together for seven years before that. We had a rocky relationship until we had our daughter, who is now 4. Jim has always been an angry, controlling, emotional person. He managed to get the anger under control for a few years, […]

End this long and costly war

It is long past time for a responsible withdrawal of all U.S. military forces, together with all NATO forces, from Afghanistan. The people of Afghanistan and the U.S. soldiers deployed there have been devastated by this war. We can no longer afford the terrible health consequences of war-related injuries on returning veterans, their families and our society as a whole. […]