The 99% are too big to fail

The protestors of Occupy Wall Street, exercising their First Amendment rights in New York and nationwide, are calling themselves the 99 percent. Most of them pay more than 15 percent taxes and actually make money the old-fashioned way: They “earrrn it,” as the old Smith and Barney commercial said. I agree with New York Times […]

Safety measure needed at Verona

I am in sixth grade at Korematsu Elementary. I am writing this letter to inform you about a problem my friends and I have when we come home from school. We can’t cross Fifth Street at Entrada Drive safely because of the wall around the Verona development. We can’t see the cars coming from the […]

U.S. to Iraq: ‘We’re outta here’

The issue: ‘Stable, secure and self-reliant’ are our goals for embattled Mideast nation The effective end of the Iraq war, coming up on its ninth year, was defined over this past weekend. “U.S. troops will be home for the holidays,” promised President Barack Obama. And as a practical matter, the U.S. war machine is already […]

9-9-9: It’s simple, but it means tax hikes

The issue: Cain’s proposal would cause pain for 
everyone, but hits the 
poor hardest. Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain has gone a long way with a winning smile, affable manner, a single issue with a catchy title, “9-9-9,” and by turning away critics with a soft answer, given without elaboration: What they say isn’t true. […]

With Gadhafi gone, Libya says, ‘What next?’

The issue: Now the hard work begins, creating a government that is democratic and strong The policy, indeed, the hopes, of the coalition of Libyan rebels and the Western and Arab nations that overthrew Moammar Gadhafi, the mercurial and merciless dictator of 42 years standing, were neatly summed up by 37-year-old Amani Deghayes, who took […]

Attention, world: You’ve got the cash. We’ve got the houses

The issue: Two senators 
propose fast-tracking visas for immigrants willing to buy a home in the U.S. to help buoy housing market. Longtime observers of the American political scene knew that the immigration problem would begin to be solved when enough people found a way to benefit and even profit from the problem. New York […]

Tax holiday creates jobs? Hardly

The issue: This measure being pitched to Congress is simply a tax break for multinational corporations The idea of a tax holiday to allow giant multinational firms to repatriate their overseas profits to the United States at substantially reduced tax rates — 5.25 percent to 8.75 percent compared to the standard 35 percent — is […]

Family secret comes calling

Dear Annie: My eldest brother has a secret. Before he met his wife, he was married and had two children in a country that does not have divorce. This was 25 years ago. The first marriage was very rocky, and my brother left his wife while she was pregnant with their second child. He then […]

Air quality concerns mitigated

Concerns have been raised in a recent letter (“…irony..,” Oct. 18) about my analysis of the lack of air quality impacts at the New Harmony development south of Interstate 80, especially in light of my recent publications on the same issue (Oct. 11). I can assure readers that my 13-page analysis, a voluntary effort, was […]

No fish gene in GMO tomato

I helped bring the Flavr SavrTM tomato, the world’s first genetically engineered whole food, to market and I can assure Jan Woods and anyone else who’s interested that it did not contain any fish genes. This misconception originated in an article by Molly O’Neill of the New York Times News Service who, in the version […]

Choose new soccer coach wisely

There are many deserved accolades for the head coach of Davis High School’s girls team, Allen Carlson. Coach Carlson recently stepped down after being a big part of the Davis High School soccer program for 28 of about 33 years that soccer has been a high school girls sport in Davis — 19 years as […]

Put rate increases in context

Thanks to Bob Dunning for pointing out that the city’s percentage numbers can mislead us, in his Sunday column about water rates. Unfortunately, he accidentally fueled the fire by writing that a change from $1.50 to $3.60 is “an increase of 240 percent.” It is really only a 140 percent increase, just like doubling something […]

Halloween store supports community

I am the owner of Xtreme Halloween, the costume shop I believe the author of the column “Prepare to Party” in Sunday’s paper was referring to. If the author had bothered to inquire, she would have found out the following about our store: Xtreme Halloween is a local, independently owned company with two locations. Our main […]