What do you think: If you could send one message to Washington, what would it be?

Glenn Farris archeologist, Davis: “Get your act together.” Eddie Moreno student, San Diego: “More money for education.” CJ Morello student, Davis: “Advocate more for the arts.” Ingrid Niles communications director, Sacramento: “Stop spending.” Sharon Tobar accountant, Davis: “Steal from the rich and give to the poor.” Mironda Burch student, Davis: “Raising tuition so much isn’t […]

Parents enable bedwetting

Dear Annie: I have been married to “John” for six years. We both have children from our first marriages. John’s oldest son is now 14 and still wets the bed. I suggested not allowing the boy to drink anything after 7 p.m. and always making sure he uses the bathroom before bed. My husband did […]

We need libraries most during recessions

Check it out What: Stephens Branch Library Where: 315 E. 14th St., Davis; (530) 757-5593 Hours: 1-9 p.m. Mondays; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays; 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays; 1 to 5 p.m. Sundays What: South Davis satellite branch Where: Montgomery Elementary School, 1441 Danbury St., Davis; (530) 759-2100 Hours: 5-9 p.m. Tuesdays; 10 […]

Ignoring the problem makes it worse

Dear Annie: I am in my early 50s and have been married for 34 years. My husband is the only man I have ever been with. For years, I put up with his cheating because I was concerned about my children and our financial future. Now the kids are grown and can take care of […]

Faith in law enforcement restored

As a student in Berkeley in the late 1960s, I developed a profound fear of men in uniforms after watching teenagers teargassed and harmed for nonviolent acts of disobedience. The Ramparts scandal in Los Angeles did not increase my comfort level. But during the past few years, my faith in law enforcement has been restored, […]

Water project raises deep questions

I cannot support the water rate increase. The Woodland-Davis project that will “eliminate” dependence on ground water seems to be speculation supporting continued local development. Our water resources are not unlimited, as ground water depletion and frequent drought periods demonstrate. There can be little correlation between rights to water in the Sacramento River and actual […]

Beware the Trojan water-horse

We are at a crossroads on water-supply issues and city utility rate increases. Initially, “regular” citizens wrote to decry the prospect that our water rates might quadruple over the next several years. Those impassioned letters were motivated by legitimate concerns of individual citizens who recognized that huge rate increases would impose a real financial hardship […]

National comparisons add perspective

I’m writing in regard to Sunday’s op-ed piece titled “Davis’ two vanishing generations,” which compared 2000 census data with recent American Community Survey estimates. I accessed the 2010 U.S. census website for corroboration of the article’s conclusions. First, the nationwide 2010 census shows a 6 percent decrease when comparing the 5-14 age group (kids currently […]

City lifeguards did Davis proud

On Sunday, July 31, the city of Davis’ lifeguards participated in the superhero-themed Northern California Aquatics Management Association’s 10th annual Lifeguardpalooza, winning the first-place trophy for entire the competition. Davis lifeguards also won first-place awards for two team events (the Eggbeater Relay and the Rescue Tube Relay), and individual medals were awarded to the following […]

Davis woman looks back at tragedy

During the early 1970s I read in The Enterprise a news story about an horrific house fire on Mulberry Lane in West Davis where the father of five children was killed along with the youngest child. Over the years, I have come to know Joan Callaway, who has now written a memoir focusing not only […]