Hold U.S. terrorists accountable

What did Reagan and bin Laden have in common? Osama bin Laden has been killed, bringing closure to families affected by terror, as well as re-emphasizing American power abroad and validating the “war on terror.” Yet, too many U.S. leaders have gone without trial, and civilians terrorized by their actions have not received justice. For […]

A forum is not a debate

I’m writing in response Bob Dunning’s to misrepresentation of the Measure A forum held by the League of Women Voters. Dunning repeatedly used the term “debate” to describe the Measure A forum. He accused the league of stacking this “debate” with pro-Measure A folks, implying that they were misleading the public. Dunning is a very […]

More Spanish Immersion needed

Our second daughter is so far down on the waiting list for kindergarten at César Chávez Elementary that we don’t expect her to get in under any circumstance. But we hope the Davis Board of Education and administration can find a way, especially with the passage of Measure A,  to add a couple of more […]

Pakistan’s take on the bin Laden hit

The issue: Involved or not? Conflicting statements are swirling The successful U.S. raid inside Pakistan to kill the world’s most wanted terrorist was: a) A joint U.S.-Pakistan operation professionally carried out and satisfactorily ended. b) A unilateral, unauthorized and unwarranted violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty. c) Not a joint operation but Pakistan’s sort of OK with […]

Canada moves in a new direction

The issue: Canadians are curious how Harper will use his new mandate and Americans should be, too While Americans were preoccupied with other matters, Canada held an election Monday that dramatically reshapes its traditional politics. AMERICANS, IN ANY CASE, tend to be inattentive to Canadian elections, perhaps because they hold so many of them. This […]

A new tack on disaster funding

The issue: There’s no doubt the money is needed, but where will the federal government find it? As sure as tornadoes erupt and waters rise, there’s another certainty for this disaster-plagued spring of 2011: It’s going to cost the U.S. government a lot of money, likely much more than Congress has budgeted so far. APRIL […]

Last-minute help appreciated

I was recently contacted by a reporter for a local television network who wanted to do a location piece about royal wedding reception etiquette. It was fairly last-minute and on Easter Sunday. Luckily for me, I contacted just the right person — Bruce Waters, the manager for Rostini Italian Kitchen, 1411 W. Covell Blvd. Not […]

Band Boosters offer thanks

The concert bands of Emerson, Harper and Holmes junior high schools recently held their sixth annual Adjudicated Music Festival. The all-day event was a wonderful opportunity for students to perform before certified judges, receive valuable feedback on their playing and sight reading, and to play with guest conductors. Students also listened to and critiqued other […]

Football Backers are grateful

On behalf of the Davis Blue Devil Football Backers, I would like to thank our sponsors, donors, event organizers and guests for participating in our fifth annual Crab Feed to benefit the Davis High football team. Our event this year was a huge success; we raised almost $14,000! The proceeds will be used to purchase new […]

‘You make our lives better’

Kudos to you and your staff for being selected as the best small paper in California for the second year in a row. In an age of 24/7 Internet and cable/satellite news, my favorite source of information is still my daily dose of The Davis Enterprise. You provide us with all of the news and images […]

A word to the wise on insurance

Thank you, A-1 Body Shop. We are very grateful to Brian Cross and his wife Dee of A-1 for their assistance as we dealt with the mess of a totaled vehicle last month after our son was hit by an uninsured motorist. This motorist was not paying attention to traffic that had slowed and was […]

Shelter got lots of support

Davis Community Meals sincerely thanks the individuals and groups who provided food for the 13 clients and volunteers of the Cold Weather Shelter every evening from mid-November through the end of March. Members of the following faith groups provided sandwiches, hot meals and pizza every night (136 nights) during the season: Congregation Bet Haverim, Islamic […]

And a grand time was had by all

The city of Davis’ annual Breaklfast with the Bunny and Eggstravaganza were held on Saturday, April 9. Once again, the event was a huge success, with more than 300 people participating in the activities. Our sincere thanks go out to the Davis Food Co-op, Starbucks, Trader Joe’s, Noah’s Bagels, the Cal Aggie Marching Band-uh, Sigma […]

Poker tourney helps community

Here’s a big “howdy and thank you” to the community from Soroptimist International of Davis. Our 2011 “Texas Hold ‘em and More” event was a great success: The 250 participants certainly enjoyed a fun evening, and our club raised about $14,000 to benefit emancipated foster youths and our Soroptimist community works. We couldn’t do this […]