Drink up; alcohol can be good for your heart

Family lore has it that during Prohibition, my maternal grandfather got his physician to write him an “as-needed for the heart” prescription for corn whiskey, a script Grandpa apparently either regularly filled himself or from a neighbor’s still in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia until he could resume legal liquor purchases at stores. He […]

Beatles wrote just the right song for today

I remember sitting many years ago in an overstuffed chair in the living room of a house on E Street, then occupied by the Davis Free Clinic, when one of my fellow peer counselors sang to the rest of us, “Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I’m 64?” I don’t […]

Merchants must lead the way on Picnic Day

ONE SIMPLE ANSWER … “City looks to UCD to lead Picnic Day response” said the front-page headline in Thursday’s Enterprise … and so begins yet another year of hand-wringing and disaster-awareness and prepare-for-the-worst planning as we await what is certain to be another debacle next April … it’s interesting that people have been patting themselves […]

They’re not going to like this

Dear Annie: I am a white male and have fallen in love with an African-American woman who is 12 years older. I have never met such a wonderful, kind, sweet, caring and loving woman. She makes me laugh. She is my soul mate. I want to spend the rest of my life with her. At […]

Scout’s a clothing drive hero

On behalf of CommuniCare Health Centers, I wish to thank Grace Richey of Girl Scout Troop 1765 for the wonderful children’s clothing drive she organized for our clients. As a community service project to fulfill the requirements for her Silver Award, Grace collected very gently used (and some new) clothing — more than 2,000 items […]

Rockin’ it for school arts

Once again the Rock Band University rocked it for the arts! The Davis School Arts Foundation thanks the folks at Rock Band University for their continuing support of arts education in the Davis public schools. Mike Clements, Sandy Thai, Evan Daly and five Rock Band University student bands put on another fabulous hard-rocking concert in […]

It only takes a minute for kids

The Yolo County Children’s Alliance thanks everyone who helped make a difference in a child’s life during April’s Child Abuse Prevention Month and is making an ongoing contribution toward preventing child abuse and neglect in Yolo County. Thank you to those who bought tickets to our fundraising events in March and April and especially to […]

We’re all in this together

Thank you to all who voted in the parcel tax election for Measure A. Some of you already had contingency plans if Measure A failed. You had the resources to make up for any shortfalls, and were prepared to pay for private music classes, private academic counseling, private foreign language tutoring or even private schooling […]

What do you think: What was your reaction to Osama bin Laden’s death?

Erika Santos student, Suisun City: “I was just like, ‘Oh, he died. Whatever.’ “ Jackie Le student, Davis: “I didn’t care.” Stephine Fehlman retailer, Sacramento: “I’m going to be honest and say I really don’t care. I think it’s just a distraction from bigger issues.” Don Guthrie real estate agent, Davis: “Great relief and glad […]

Looking toward our future downtown

By Carol Bourne Four couples, including myself and my husband, Dick, are planning to build a four-unit senior project in downtown Davis at the corner of Fourth and D streets. Our decision to do this stems from the lack of adequate senior-friendly homes here in Davis. When we discovered Davis 33 years ago we were […]

Courthouse construction binge: Should $5 billion be immune from scrutiny?

By Sue Greenwald In two recent Davis Enterprise pieces, I was quoted as saying that the planned replacement of the historic Yolo County Courthouse will cost three times as much to build as the Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts at UC Davis. Since my name has been mentioned twice regarding the $173 million cost […]

Cutting through the ‘fog of war’

The White House is wise to correct its version of how Osama bin Laden died as additional facts come in. And there have been a lot of corrections. ON MONDAY, in briefings about the successful U.S. raid on the terrorist’s hideout in Pakistan, the White House and the Pentagon came perilously close to spinning the […]