Another uphill fight for cyclist

The issue: If the feds get their way, Lance Armstrong will get his day in court to prove his innocence It has been said that baseball is America’s national pastime. But events in the cycling world lately seem to have changed that. THE NEW NATIONAL pastime is former teammates making up accusations about Lance Armstrong, […]

Has he gone too far?

Dear Annie: I’ve been married to “Sherwin” for two years. We are both in our 50s. He has two grown children, and I have two teenagers who still live with us. Before we married, I thought Sherwin was perfect for me. We enjoyed everything together, and he made me feel special. Once we said “I […]

Today, remember those who serve

Dear Readers: Today is Memorial Day. We know for many, this is simply part of a long weekend. But we hope you will keep in mind the reason behind the holiday — a day to remember those servicemen and women who have died serving their country. Please honor our fallen heroes by visiting cemeteries and […]

Brother’s issues becoming too much

Dear Annie: My parents adopted my brother, “Kyle,” when he was 6 weeks old. As he grew up, it was apparent that something wasn’t right. When Kyle was 18, he was diagnosed as bipolar and schizophrenic and was put on a cocktail of medications. He is now 30 and living at home with my father. […]

Clucks-a-bunch to all of you!

The Davis Farm to School Connection is deeply grateful to the following 2011 Tour de Cluck organizing team leaders, supporting team members, chicken coop owners, day-of volunteers, kickoff participants and community, business and civic leaders who generously contributed their time, resources and expertise to help us create a fantastically successful benefit event. We had a […]

I agree: Stop the fireworks

Amen and thank you for printing Dolores Blake’s well-written letter regarding the fireworks. Luckily we do read The Enterprise and knew to leave town (as we do on the Fourth of July). Why not save the money and sponsor a Yolo County SPCA adopt-a-pet booth? Then we could visit with our pack. We have never seen […]

Why prevent reuse at DWR?

As a student at Patwin Elementary in Davis, I have been learning about the concept of “reduce, reuse, recycle.” I was surprised when I saw the sign, “No Salvaging” at the Davis Waste Management Recycling Center. There were many useful items there that people could reuse, such as benches, containers and good pieces of wood. […]

Solving Iran is priority No. 1

Dashiel Menard writes to say that I have exaggerated by comparing Palestine to Nazi Germany. I am surprised that someone with a French name would have such a narrow view of reality. Palestine alone is a minor player in the Middle East but it is the wedge, financed and supported by Iran, for attacking Israel. […]

Real world trickles up to Sacto

Critics have called the springtime Jerry Brown road show — mostly staged in schools in Republican legislative districts and interrupted briefly when he needed a small growth removed from his nose — little more than a tactic aiming to pressure GOP lawmakers into allowing a special election on the tax extensions sought by the Democratic […]

These really are lonely planets

The issue: It must make life difficult for the prophets of doom; just as they predict the end of the world, the astronomers find more of them In a discovery that should send science fiction writers racing to their keyboards, astronomers have discovered 10 potential planets, gas giants as large as Jupiter, just wandering through […]

Caution to the wind

Dear Annie: A few years ago, I had a one-night stand with my married boss while attending a work-related seminar in another town. On the third evening, we had dinner and drinks, and one thing led to another. We had always been attracted to each other, and co-workers noticed all the flirting. We resumed our […]

She’s already so much more than I’ll ever be

It feels like your heart will just swell right up and burst, and no, it’s not a cardiac arrest. It’s pride — surging, bubbly, sparkling pride that feels like you’ll just explode into a glittering shower of wowie! It’s amazement! It’s awe! It’s joy! Of the three, “joy” comes closest. But it’s not an exact […]