Half-truths on Social Security

By Jim Stevens Rep. Mike Thompson writes to tell us that “Social Security is not broken, not broke and certainly not bankrupt” (Sunday, Sept. 25). As a faithful Obamaite, he speaks in half-truths and half-misrepresentations. Fact: Social Security now pays out more than it receives each month. Mike tells us not to worry, that there […]

Wife feels unloved and neglected

Dear Annie: I have been married to “George” for 11 years. In the past two, George and I have had sex only three times. Lately, when I go to kiss him, he turns away. I have asked George if there is someone else or if he has a medical issue, but he denies both. I’ve […]

Here’s my list of greatest misses

This column might be too self-indulgent, but let me do it anyway, OK? Pretty please? Here’s the deal … I’m not having a mental block on what to write this week; it’s exactly the opposite. I have been keeping a list of potential topics for years — many years! — and am quickly realizing some […]

Slobs don’t want to take all the abuse

Dear Annie: I know you won’t print this, because your column is all about badmouthing men. Hollywood does the same thing. Why is it terrible when a man belittles his wife, but funny when she belittles him? Explain why Brad Pitt and Ben Affleck are “sexy” when they don’t shave, but women complain about us […]

Where will the Pub Quiz be?

When I found out the Pub Quiz had ended, I was confused at first. Pub Quiz had become part of my routine To have that routine ended so abruptly has made me feel empty. When I got to Pub Quiz, I was no longer a high school student. I was a member of The Portraits […]

Trains, planes, cars and buses

Thank you so much for Heidi Bay’s story headlined “Get out and have some free — or nearly free — fun” on Sept. 22. I have to admit that the words “free” and “fun” are what caught my attention. As a grandpa of a 2-year-old granddaughter, I am always looking for fun things I can […]

Let’s sing ‘America the Beautiful’

Fall is upon us and with it comes the frequent occasions to sing our national anthem. It would be nice to sing an easier and more pleasant-sounding piece of music since many of us, particularly men, are ill-equipped with vocal chords ready for a sudden octave jump in the middle of it. Aside from the […]

From field to fork: Comparing local foods of Davis, Cape Cod

Are the local foods in Davis preferable to those of Cape Cod, Massachusetts? I’d draw a line down a sheet of paper. On the Davis side, I’d immediately list tomatoes, stone fruits and figs. On the Cape’s side I’d write steamer clams, lobsters and local fish that aren’t frozen. This comparison arises because each summer […]

How you vote truly does matter

I must confess to laughing out loud at the description of the oppression suffered by the closet Republican here within the borders of liberal Davis (“OK, Davis, here’s my dirty little secret”). Her bravery as she stood up against the water cannons of the Davis Police Department so she could vote her class loyalty in […]

Hear prof’s insights on Middle East

I would like to invite the public to a program on Israel, the Palestinians and the “Arab Spring” on Sunday from 3 to 5 p.m. in the Blanchard Room of the Stephens Branch Library, 315 E. 14th St. in Davis. The speaker will be Zeev Maoz, distinguished professor of political science at UC Davis, and distinguished fellow at […]

Experiment first with Fifth Street

This community needs to be careful it doesn’t get caught up in politically correct terms such as “road diet.” Our City Council may be embracing what appears to be a politically correct change to Fifth Street. And, maybe the small group of people pushing for this change may be right. It appears the city staff […]

Don’t give away our water system

I must be slow on the uptake. I was so taken back by the city’s proposal to raise the water rates that I completely missed that after years of paying these huge rates, the system will be run by a private company. Why am I paying to build something for the benefit of a private […]

Chancellor’s plan has no clothes

I read with amazement the front-page story last week titled “Katehi charts course” and subtitled “Chancellor proposes adding 5,000 students, 300 faculty in 5 years at UCD.” In the words of tennis icon John McEnroe, “You can’t be serious!” The UC administrators may have been on sabbatical for the past 10 years and not noticed […]