‘Tis a gift to be simple, ’tis a gift to be free’

By Alison Rose Munn His legs are shaking. From my vantage point sitting behind him, I think he is going to collapse to the ground in the next second. There is no way he can stay on his feet. As his knees give out, he grips the podium until his hands turn white but his […]

September is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. Are you at risk?

The City of Davis has proclaimed September to be Prostate Cancer Awareness Month to increase awareness of this disease. Prostate Cancer affects one in six men in the U.S. and is more common in African-American men and those with a family history of the disease. It is the second leading cause of cancer-related death in […]

City parking permit costs go up

Has anyone else noticed how the city is getting an extra dollar from each preferential parking permit issued this year? The permits have always expired on Sept. 30 and, at a cost of $12 per year, equate to $1 per month. However, this year’s purchase will only get you 11 months for $12. It seems […]

Giving back brings us together

We are all remembering where we were 10 years ago, when terrorists attacked the United States on Sept. 11, 2001. But let’s also take stock of where we are today. Recently, the U.S. Department of Agriculture employees joined with other federal departments and with farmers, ranchers and local businesses to collect more than 2 million […]

What do you think: How has Sept. 11 changed your life?

Matt Lansing student, Davis: “It made it harder to travel.” Clara Heinicke student, Davis: “I was pretty young when it happened, so I don’t remember how things were before.” Sandra Rogers, Ph.D. business development, Davis: “It has made me more worried when my family gets on a plane.” Brittney McClaire manager, Davis: “9/11 made it […]

Don’t forget those who comforted

“Where were you when you found out?” everyone asks. Surprisingly I hadn’t given too much thought to this question over the past couple of years until someone asked, “Who was your most memorable high school teacher?” (Yes, I was still in high school then.) Enterprise 9/11 coverage News: Finally, World Trade Center rises from ground […]

America’s not quite as secure as it thinks it is

The issue: As our security forces decline, it’s up to each of us to be alert In the aftermath of 9/11, the public perception was that there was a massive increase in security all across the board: federal, state and local. Except for the federal government, that was largely illusory. In some areas, we are […]

A jobs program at Obama’s doorstep

The issue: Maintaining our capital city’s parks is not make-work, it’s necessary, and young people can do it President Barack Obama’s jobs plan likely will have a significant public works component and that’s all to the good. The problem with government public works spending — roads, bridges, public buildings, water and sewer facilities, and flood […]

Do we stay in Iraq or do we go?

The issue: Withdrawing our troops has been more difficult that expected Iraq was to have been so simple. A quick three-month conquest of the country with a relatively light force. Be welcomed by the Iraqis as liberators. Oust Saddam Hussein. Destroy his weapons of mass destruction. And then depart, leaving behind a grateful democracy. AS […]

Fear is where we live now

By Rebecca Pope Mr. Rogers would have pronounced it a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Washington’s swampy summer weather had given way to fresher, cleaner air. The sky was clear and blue. I’d finished teaching two of my three classes at Georgetown University. Early days — the students and I were still taking each other’s […]

Each 9/11, I stop to remember

By T. Nietling Sept. 11, 2001, was an ordinary morning in Virginia. The coolness in the air suggested an early fall. Starting the car following my first home visit of the day, I immediately tuned in to my radio. I honestly could not follow what was being said. The announcer’s speech was all over the […]

‘Catching up’ can be a lot of fun

Dear Annie: My wife and I have been married for 20 years. I was laid off recently for the second time. While reviewing our finances, I noticed that our cellphone usage had substantially increased. I asked my wife about it, and she explained that she was catching up with friends. I normally do not look […]

A Kenyan’s view of U.S. democracy

By Peter Mutinda Mutua I come from Kenya, a country that sees the United States as its role model as far as democracy is concerned. I experienced many good things about the American political system. I saw these things for myself when I lived in Davis on the Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program. I saw that […]

We’re still seeking the truth

On the eve of the 10th anniversary of the World Trade Center attacks that shook America, building experts and volunteers with the nonprofit organization Architects & Engineers for 9/11 Truth are asking Americans to take a closer look. They are calling for a new, truly independent investigation of the catastrophic destruction of the three World […]