How wisdom is acquired, in three parts

My son and I are sitting in our cabin in Lotus looking at the swollen river some 400 yards away. Suddenly, a man in an inflatable kayak paddles quickly to shore, jumps out and dashes up river on a deer trail. His speed, suggesting a crisis, inspires me to move fast, too. I gallop down […]

Don’t let the bedbugs bite

Dear Annie: For the past 10 summers, “Dan and Kelly” have stopped at our house on the way to visit their relatives up north. It’s a long trip, so they often need to stop at a motel before reaching our place. Sometimes they stay with us overnight, and other times, it can be as long […]

Gasoline mixed to an outdated standard

The issue: Major automakers get tired of waiting for the EPA and get ready to set their own, more stringent, rules With the approach of Memorial Day weekend, the traditional kickoff of the vacation driving season, most motorists are preoccupied with the cost of gasoline, up 23 percent since the start of the year and […]

‘Scooper Stars’ gave us motivation

Pioneer Elementary School’s fourth-grade physical education students sincerely thank Baskin-Robbins and owner Charlie Mitchell for their donation of “Scooper Star” awards and certificates. We are very grateful for their donation of ice cream scoops for our efforts in “pacing” during our mile run. We had “extra” motivation (ice cream!) while pacing during this part of […]

Hyperbole and exaggeration

In response to Jim Stevens’ letter published May 24, I think that comparing Palestine to Nazi Germany is going more than a little overboard… Dashiell Menard Davis

Listen to this ‘wake-up’ call

First of all, thank you, Jim Stevens, for the reminder of political games and the consequences. For those of us old enough to remember the atrocities against the people of Jewish faith and the Second World War, now hearing leaders of countries state openly or make statements in support of leaders who state openly the […]

Grace in Action says thanks

Grace in Action would like to thank Soroptimist International of Davis for its grant funds. The much-needed grant monies will be used for assistance with transportation and emergency health support for homeless individuals. The club’s generosity is greatly appreciated! We are immensely grateful to all the volunteers who help us minister (in a variety of […]

Trolls, sock puppets and other hazards of our new website

Troll: One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument. — from urbandictionary.com I am seriously in a funk about The Davis Enterprise’s website commenters. I’m also an idiot for expecting it to be any different than other newspaper’s sites, but I […]

Former addict deals with negativity

Dear Annie: Nearly 23 years ago, at the end of my Ph.D. studies, I became ill with severe depression. Not recognizing the problem, I self-medicated with illegal drugs and became an addict. I was so messed up that I had to move back in with my parents, who provided a roof over my head but […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; (202) 456-1111; fax: (202) 456-2461; e-mail: president@whitehouse.gov U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3553; e-mail: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3841; fax: (202) 228-3954; e-mail: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House […]

Let’s boycott gold, diamonds

We celebrate the Gold Rush days, but in reality the California Gold Rush was an environmental disaster for California, which persists until today and will carry on into the distant future. There is now discussion as to whether the ban on the practice of suction dredging should be lifted. Do we ever learn anything? Gold […]

A special evening for special kids

We would like to thank the students of Alpha Phi Omega’s Iota Phi Chapter at UC Davis for organizing the annual Dance for Kids (D4K) event, held May 14 at Davis Community Church. Teenagers with special needs enjoyed a wonderful evening, free of charge, of semi-formal dining, entertaining and dancing. These truly compassionate, altruistic and […]

Kudos for C-STEM competition

We are writing to congratulate the UC Davis K-14 Outreach Center for Computing, Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (C-STEM) for the inaugural UC Davis Secondary School Programming Competition, held April 30 at UCD. Reflecting C-STEM’s mission to inspire, educate and assist students to become proficient in computer-aided problem-solving skills, the event attracted regional high school […]

Senate puts off work on budget, again

The issue: The problem with adopting a spending plan is that it will make some people very unhappy Last Thursday, Republicans on the Senate Budget Committee put out a statement taunting, “Today marks the 750th day since the Democrat-led Senate last passed a budget.” THE FAILURE of last year’s Democratic Congress to pass a budget […]