Consider the birds in the air

I thought the birds were my unique guilty pleasure. Then, about a month ago, we had new friends over for dinner at our place in Lotus. I know they participate in more overtly spiritual activities than I do — at church and elsewhere — but I was surprised, nevertheless, when Marsha said, “I just sit […]

Ended up checking myself in the checkout line

There’s a lesson in this story, and I’m not sure what it is. But the story goes something like this: Being a hard-wired penny-pincher (it’s genetic — I had a Depression-era mother of Scottish descent), I was thrilled to get a Safeway coupon in the mail offering $10 off a $50 purchase, as well as […]

Brain activity linked to political beliefs

This may be nothing new to political consultants, but neuroscientists seem to be catching up with the notion that the partisan loyalties of hearts and minds are at least in part dictated by how big, and how active, certain structures of the brain are. The latest study to support this was published online by the […]

Harris’ apology was lacking

In response to the article on Tuesday, April 12, School Board President Richard Harris offered an apology for the timing of letters for Measure A exemption status for senior citizens. As I read more of the article it sounded as though Bob Dunning was to blame for “blowing it out of proportion.” Reading Bob Dunning’s […]

Measure A is a necessity

I was recently reminded by my friend and neighbor (a Davis teacher and parent) that it is really important to participate in our special spring mail-in election. With the ongoing controversy at all levels of government about program cutbacks, we do need to focus on our community’s educational future. I support Measure A because the […]

Schools benefit kids, community

Measure A is important to the Davis community for financial reasons, in addition to multiple other reasons. I have heard from many people who say they moved here because of the schools. How would you like to see your investment in your home depreciate because people no longer wanted to move here for the schools, […]

Students must make choices

Constance Fuller bemoans that her seventh-grade daughter may have to choose between band and languages (Forum, April 14). Possibly Fuller believes life is an ever-expanding source of consumption, with ever-expanding choices without limits to supply or means. Life is not like that, and Fuller should be happy to be able to teach her daughter the […]

Obama serious on the deficit

The issue: As the campaign begins, the deficit is a newly important topic for Obama It is fair to say that up until now President Barack Obama has seemed relatively indifferent to the federal deficit, set to reach $1.6 trillion in the third year of his watch. He did not fight to let the tax […]

What do you think: What’s your favorite thing about Picnic Day?

Joan Wink professor, Howes, S.D.: “I have so many memories. I love it all. I love the tie-dye shirts.” Allison Friebertshauser UC Davis employee, Davis: “I really liked the Battle of the Bands.” Alyssa Markham paraeducator, Davis: “I really like the food. Davis seems to let its hair down on Picnic Day, which is fun.” […]

Opportunities for college towns

In the 21st century, perhaps no kind of community has greater upside economic potential than the American college town or university neighborhood. And the key to realizing this potential may paradoxically lie in the apparently inauspicious changes higher education has recently experienced. The best lemonade always starts with a lemon. Less money from state governments, […]

In the name of their profits

In the name of their profits, the natural gas industry exerts control over segments of our government and its regulatory agencies. This is the theme of a series, “Drilling Down,”  about the contest between the hydrofracking industry and public interests (Ian Urbina, New York Times of Feb. 27, March 2 and March 4). This article […]

Rise of the machines

IT’S ALIVE … no sooner did I conclude in this space that Measure A seems to have “no organized opposition,” than I received a robo-call from an apparently human person urging me to fill in the “No” box on the parcel tax ballot that currently sits on my kitchen table … Unlike some of the […]

Not holding up his end

Dear Annie: I am 21 and have a baby with my boyfriend, “Emmett,” who is 19. I love him dearly, but I don’t know what to do with him. He is unemployed and goes out all the time. I am stuck with two young children at home while Emmett does nothing but sleep and party. […]

Wasted money in the Gulf

The issue: BP had a cash gusher following the Gulf Coast oil gusher As of March 31, BP had doled out more than $754 million to Gulf Coast state and local governments to pay for the cleanup and economic damage resulting from its massive oil spill a year ago. Desperate for public and political good […]