Wife frightened by husband’s temper

AnniesMailbox Dear Annie: My husband and I are in our early 60s and have been married for eight years. “Troy” has a temper. One minute he will be sweet as pie, telling me he loves me, even singing love songs. The next minute he will fly into a rage and say every nasty thing possible, […]

Find a place in your heart for this dog

I’m a volunteer at the Yolo County Animal Shelter in Woodland, taking the dogs out for exercise and showing them to potential adopters. When I started doing this, I had concerns about how sad or depressing it would be. Instead, I found really committed staff doing their best to find all adoptable animals a good […]

Fresh food with a touch of personality

By Jakob Allen The issues surrounding food production and consumption and its global ramifications are increasingly visible in popular culture due to the success of works such as Michael Pollan’s “The Omnivore’s Dilemma” or Eric Schlosser’s “Fast Food Nation.” Labor rights issues, animal rights issues, global warming, antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria in the food […]

New aerial tanker is long overdue

The issue: The KC-135s are older than the pilots who fly them With considerable understatement, Air Force Secretary Michael Donley called the award of the contract for a new aerial refueling tanker “a long-overdue start to a much-needed program.” The current aerial tanker, the KC-135, while a wonderful workhorse of an aircraft, is, in aviation […]

Friend in danger

AnniesMailbox Dear Annie: My friend “Alicia” has been married for more than two decades and has two very intelligent children. But she is married to a man who doesn’t work and has a lot of problems. “Steve” left his job after a confrontation at work and has been living off of disability insurance, claiming he […]

More options for recycling

I am thankful for everything Yolo Hospice provides for our community and now I have something else to applaud them for. The article about Yolo Hospice Thrift in a recent edition of The Enterprise referred to the fact that the thrift store recycles clothes that can no longer be worn. People in our area need […]

LETTERS: Our students must come first

Enough already! Our community “argument” should be about what is best for our students and athletes, not about whether one coach should have been released from his TEMPORARY contract. We all now know that Jeff Christian is a great coach, and he was fully paid for his services. But, we also need to remember that […]

The signs of a gambling problem

AnniesMailbox Dear Annie: I am a school coach in a small town. Last week, I walked into our local gas station to pay for my purchase and spotted a woman sitting on the floor. She was inserting money into the instant lottery machine, selecting a lottery card, scratching it off and repeating. I watched her […]

Is workshop worth county money?

When reading your Feb. 15 article, “County’s in search of mission,” I had the feeling that “Dilbert” had moved to your front page! It seems as if you have had a number of stories recently about how financially scraped our county was; county employees being laid off, essential services being cut —and yet “some 50 […]

Charge Boutin for Dunning space

A modest proposal for my favorite local newspaper. Charge Steven Boutin at your highest advertising rate for Bob Dunning’s column space. Take the proceeds and hire a journalist to complement the work of Bruce Gallaudet, Jeff Hudson and the rest. Go Blue Devils. Tim Ainsworth Davis

At the pond: Little-known treasures await you

Isn’t it easy to cocoon on these chilly, damp, gray days? But today I wish to give you a nudge toward trying a little resistance exercise. Get out there on the next so-called bad weather day and visit your local watershed. Break out of your comfort zone, go to a seldom-visited area and you will […]

Why should Davis ban single-use plastic bags?

By Elaine Fingerett, Alan Hastings, Ann Savageau and Michael Siminitus Single-use plastic bags are everywhere. It seems so easy to have our groceries put in one of those light plastic bags. It is only one bag a time, so what can the problem be? The problem is that there are so many of them, and […]

What do you think?

Which movie should win best picture at the Oscars? Eli Murray-Clark student, Davis: ” ‘Inception.’ It was visually striking and in-depth.” Kristina Wilson retail manager, Davis: ” ‘The Social Network.’ It was such a great idea.” Jessica Friedman teacher, Davis: ” ‘The Fighter.’ It was an entertaining, well-written movie, and the cast was great.” Mike […]