Costly wars suck treasury dry

Recently, a group of scholars at Brown University, including a number of economists, have used whatever data are available to estimate the total financial cost of the recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (see http://costsofwar.org). The figure they have come up with is about $4 trillion. This is roughly $50,000 per American family. Could this […]

Davis Music Fest a huge success

Big thanks to everyone who came out and enjoyed the shows last Saturday! Without your support, this would have been a one-and-done, failed experiment. Fortunately, local music fans are alive and kicking and we intend to provide a similarly styled festival again in 2012. As organizer, I’ve been the face of this thing for the […]

A tripling of water rates? That’s an understatement

Learn more The city of Davis is hosting community outreach meetings to answer residents’ questions about proposed rate hikes. The increases will help fund a surface water project that would pump water from the Sacramento River and reduce Davis’ reliance on groundwater. Davis is partnering with Woodland on the project. Meetings are planned: * July 14: 7 […]

AB 52 is the wrong medicine for California health care

By Garry Maisel At Western Health Advantage, we have worked with local community members, business owners, doctors and hospitals for the past 12 years to find ways to streamline costs and ensure affordable access to care for the region. The results have been high patient satisfaction and more affordable premium options for our clients. We […]

Real patriots pay their taxes

By Scott Klinger and Holly Sklar Some of our nation’s biggest corporations are planning a tax holiday and they want you to pick up the tab. Actually, you already pay for their routine tax avoidance through the use of tax havens in Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and elsewhere. These accounting acrobatics cost the U.S. Treasury […]

What do you think: What would our Founding Fathers say about America today?

Moret Webster city of Davis employee, Davis: “I think they’d be disappointed because we’ve strayed so far from Christian values.” Lynn Shields housewife, Davis: “We have so much to be grateful for in our beautiful country. I think they founded this country based on their faith in God and they’d be sad that God is […]

Who would bother to learn the ‘language of hope’?

* Editor’s note: Marion is on vacation. This column was first published in 2002 but has been updated. This year marks the 152nd anniversary of the birth of Ludwig L. Zamenof, inventor of Esperanto. If his idea had caught on, we might be setting off fireworks today and singing “Feliĉan Naskiĝtagon.” Instead, I bet half […]

Readers back counseling

Dear Readers: We recently printed a letter from “Problem Still Here,” who asked our readers if counseling was worth it. We were inundated with replies from readers sharing their stories, and the vast majority found counseling tremendously helpful. We cannot possibly print all the letters we received, but the response was so overwhelming that we […]

This could give state more clout

Millions of Americans believed all through his presidency that George W. Bush never deserved to hold that office — regardless of what the U.S. Supreme Court ruled and no matter who got a few hundred votes more or less in Florida. That was because Democrat Al Gore won more actual votes in the 2000 election […]

Russian job is Putin’s if he wants it

The issue: Medvedev has a list of reforms he’d like to enact, but he may be running out of time President Barack Obama got an unlikely endorsement for re-election — from the president of Russia. “I can tell you openly — I would like Barack Obama to be re-elected president of the United States,” said […]

Money not well spent

Dear Annie: My daughter, “Chloe,” receives child support for her son, “Logan,” who is 3. Chloe does not live with her son because she is not capable of taking care of him. She is an alcoholic who lives with her abusive boyfriend. My husband and I have raised Logan since birth. He lives with us. […]

New Pentagon chief faces huge challenges

Robert Gates departs the Pentagon next week after 4 1/2 years under two presidents as one of the nation’s most respected defense secretaries. HE WILL BE A tough leader to replace, but the Senate showed great confidence that President Barack Obama’s choice as successor, outgoing CIA Director Leon Panetta, is up to the job. The […]