Save the domes for COFIEs

As a UC Davis student in 1972, I had the unforgettable experience of helping to build the domes. I lived there until I graduated in 1975. That experience of self-reliance and communtity-living shaped my life. Since 1972, the domes at Baggins End have served as home to an ever-changing community of creative, odd, fun, innovative […]

Mountain biking pioneer is a roll model

By Joe Herget For nearly six years, Jacquie Phelan (aka Alice B. Toeclips) went undefeated in women’s mountain bike racing. Astride her custom-built bike “Otto” and wearing polka-dot tights, she was the dominant force in the nascent sport at a time when the bulk of her competitors were men; she soundly beat most of them. […]

Bottoms up to Dan Wolk

As the proud parent of a 15-month-old little angel, I wish to thank newly appointed Councilman Dan Wolk for having changing tables installed in the women’s and men’s restrooms at City Hall. I e-mailed him the night he was appointed to congratulate him. At that time, I mentioned that we need to have changing tables […]

President oversteps his bounds

The Defense of Marriage Act was signed into law by Bill Clinton in 1996. It defines marriage as a legal union between one man and one woman. You may agree or disagree with that law, but until changed by Congress or voided by the courts, it is the law. But on Feb. 23, Attorney General […]

U.S. is wary of meddling in Libya

The issue: Let Western Europeans take the lead, and we’ll be supportive junior partners President Barack Obama is under growing pressure at home to intervene in the Libyan civil war, and the U.S. does seem to be incrementally edging in that direction. Imposing a no-fly zone — using U.S. and NATO warplanes to keep Moammar […]

Government cannot save the media

By Jeffrey M. McCall GREENCASTLE, Ind. — American society relies on a strong news industry to provide the information needed for self-governance. That information flow is threatened as the news industry struggles financially, cutting budgets and laying off reporters. The problem with most of the trendy proposals on how to save journalism, however, is that […]

OK, this is his last last chance

Dear Annie: A few years ago, my husband had an emotional affair with an old girlfriend. This woman has caused problems throughout our marriage. I never seem to measure up to her. The first time I discovered that my husband was seeing her, I told him it had to stop. But just before our anniversary, […]

What would Jesus cut?

“Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill […]

War is not the answer

On March 18 and 19, the eighth anniversary of the Iraq war, there will be anti-war rallies across the country. The Davis march will start at the G Street Plaza at 7 p.m. Friday, March 18, and proceed to the oak tree in Central Park. In my lifetime, the United States has been involved in […]

Here’s how to define Rifkin

Finally, after all these years of reading Rich Rifkin’s rantings, I think I have come up with a great description of who he really is. Rich Rifkin = Charlie Sheen! Scott Babcock Davis

Westlake Market needs you

After only a little more than a year in business, Westlake Market is struggling to stay open. Where are all the West Davis residents who expressed a desire to have a quality independent market at the Westlake Shopping Center? After three years without a market on the west side of town, it was finally exciting […]

We need to learn from history

Thanks to Bob Dunning for exposing the recent display of political correctness at UC Davis. Unfortunately, human history is filled with attempts to designate groups of people as “agents” and “targets,” not the least of which was the Nazi campaign to define Jews as excessively influential in German society (i.e., “agents”) in order to justify the […]

We can stop killing animals

In one of the most educated communities in the country, with one of the top veterinary schools and even a shelter medicine program, an unknown number of animals are killed each year because they end up at Yolo County Animal Services. The number is unknown because the shelter doesn’t keep those basic statistics. It doesn’t […]