Davis needs surface water project

I would like to thank our City Council members for taking on the important issue of Davis’ water supply. I can’t remember the last time I drank or served water straight from the tap in my home or ordered it at any Davis restaurant. What I do remember are the mineral deposits that I can’t […]

Delay only hikes the cost

Water used to be “a free good” and it is not anymore. Anyone opposing the water rate vote is facing even higher bills for and from the city if we delay; all the other options are higher-cost, and lower-quality. It’s a lose-lose. We had this discussion about gasoline in 1973. Jon Li Davis

Don’t miss this ‘Miss Saigon’

By Ann Bistolfo and Amanda Bistolfo Anticipating opening the paper and finding Bev Sykes’ usual utilitarian Music Circus review, plodding through the plot and naming the actors, we herewith offer the type of commentary for “Miss Saigon” that we might hope to find in The Enterprise. It is no “Les Misérables” and it is not […]

Struggling after college

Dear Annie: I had a fabulous time in college. I was president of my sorority, a peer mentor at our advising center and active in many organizations. I also was granted many awards and honors. I loved rushing around with little sleep and juggling many things on my plate. Now my life is a different […]

A case for discretion in deportation arrests

The issue: Any reasonable immigration policy would not concentrate just on getting rid of the people we don’t want, like criminals, but also on keeping those we do want The Department of Homeland Security has proposed some common-sense changes to U.S. deportation policy and it has kicked up a predictable storm of protest from conservatives […]

Justice, Iranian-style

Iran’s ruling theocrats complain that their regime, which they conflate with Persian history and culture, doesn’t get the respect they believe it deserves. That’s true, and recently the corrupt and arbitrary government gave the world another reason why that’s so. After more than two years in confinement and only the briefest contact with their lawyer, […]

Obama’s Libya strategy is paying off

The issue: Despite criticism, U.S. support has been integral to rebels’ success so far Coming after the killing of Osama bin Laden, President Barack Obama has another foreign-policy success — the impending, if it hasn’t happened already, fall of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, which the U.S. played a material role in organizing. OBAMA, WHO IS […]

Summer House gets upgrades

Work was recently completed at Davis Summer House on two Americans with Disabilities Act accessible bathrooms. Construction was completed by local contractor Western Sun Construction. The city of Davis assisted in funding these upgrades through a Community Development Block Grant award for Davis Summer House in the amount of $15,000. These ADA upgrades will allow […]

Newcomer picks a bone with Bob

I’ve been a Davis resident for about six months now and I love everything about the town except Bob Dunning’s paranoid rantings that are supposed to pass as “opinion.” First it was the plastic bags, now it is incessant harping and junior high reasoning about improving the city water supply. Everyone is entitled to an […]

I choose a secure water source

Making choices Davis’ water, though drinkable, has been evaluated as unsafe for discharge to the waterways leading to the Sacramento River. Davis’ water is out of compliance with Clean Water Act regulations. Compliance with these state regulations is not optional. Perhaps people believe that protesting under Proposition 218 will mean that we can protect the […]

They’ve found the strength to serve

NAIROBI, Kenya — Many Americans go to the developing world to serve others. A smaller percentage actually end up being useful. Those who do have often climbed a moral ladder. They start out with certain virtues but then develop more tenacious ones. The first virtue they possess is courage, the willingness to go off to […]

Perry livens up the GOP race

The issue: We’re betting this Texas governor will be a quick study on the big political stage Texas Gov. Rick Perry has bounded, literally, onto the Republican presidential stage, adding some much-needed flash and fire to what had been a listless contest, with the exception of loose cannon Michele Bachmann and the sudden sightings and […]