D.B. Cooper may no longer be a mystery

The issue: FBI is positively giddy over a newly discovered clue to 1971 hijacker In the unsettled years of the 1970s, D.B. Cooper was a hero to some and a mystery to all. No one from that era seems to have known him but none have forgotten him. ON NOV. 24, 1971, D.B. Cooper, a […]

| Posted in Forum | Tagged

Congress goes from one bind to another

The issue: U.S. is losing big bucks as a stalemate over transportation-funding law continues We had hoped that Congress had gotten the “my way or the highway” approach to legislating out of its system in the bilious run-up to the votes on raising the debt ceiling. Apparently not. SINCE JUNE 23, a similar impasse, although […]

Syria tries increasingly brutal measures

The issue: International community faced with a decision on how to respond Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad celebrated the eve of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan by sending tanks into the rebellious cities of Hama and Deir el-Zour and killing more than 100 fellow countrymen. RAMADAN COULD be the make-or-break month for the four-month-long uprising. […]

Need to help granddaughter

Dear Annie: I married my wife, “Debbie,” more than a decade ago. I genuinely believe we were brought together by divine providence. The only thing that troubles me is our kids — Debbie’s children from her first marriage. They didn’t get off to a great start — the biological father is a deadbeat dad, philanderer, […]

| Posted in Columns | Tagged

Parking garages feel unsafe

The following is a copy of a letter to the Davis City Council: Before you commit to spending a huge amount of the state’s money for a parking garage that will replace my favorite parking lot in town (between Third and Fourth and E and F streets), I think you should consider who will use […]

Please, don’t convict my family

About a month ago, The Davis Enterprise published an article about two Davis men head to prison for stealing millions. My name is Tapani Koivunen, and I am one of the individuals mentioned in that article. I was sentenced to 24 months in prison. Please let me tell you that my intentions with this project […]

Speak up about cell towers

Would you like a mini-cell tower located in front of your house? The city of Davis is processing an application from a company called Crown Castle (on behalf of Metro PCS) to build 25 mini-cell towers in residential neighborhoods. The Planning Commission will make a recommendation at 7 p.m. Wednesday. Currently, the city’s telecommunications ordinance […]

News was a lie, but contract is better

“A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to put its pants on.” —Winston Churchill No one is going to remember that it was a lie. It wasn’t even an approximation of the truth. It was a real whopper, this one. Yet The Enterprise and other publications reprinted it, taking […]

Aging sister stuck in a bad place

Dear Annie: A year ago, my 73-year-old sister, “Jenny,” married a man she barely knew. He had been married three times before, and she was aware that he had problems. Being a nurturing person, she thought she could help him. They live off of his Social Security and my sister’s pension checks. They are now […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; (202) 456-1111; fax: (202) 456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3841; fax: (202) 228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House […]

August 08, 2013 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

On religion and extremism

The Norwegian mass murderer, Anders Brelvik, identifies himself as a Christian. More specifically, he says he is a moderate Protestant, who thinks that Protestant churches should unify under the Catholic Church. Presumably this is to better counter the Muslim threat. He says he is not a religious Christian and does not have a personal relationship […]

How are cuts affecting courts?

As a retired court clerk I’m (still) waiting for some sort of statement from our Yolo County presiding judge or court administrator relative to curtailment of hours/services/personnel in the wake of budget cuts throughout the justice system statewide. All I’ve read about is that we “may” still receive the construction funds as promised. (Those funds […]

Safety first in parking lots

To all parents: When your 4- or 5-year-old son or daughter is running through the parking lot to your car, do you think that driver backing up in the SUV will see them? Tina McKee Davis

No cell towers in my neighborhood

By Susan Monheit I was disturbed to receive a notice from the Davis Planning Commission of intent to deploy cell phone antennas throughout my neighborhood, by mounting them on existing light poles. Even more distressing was the fact that one such antenna is proposed to be mounted directly outside my 11-year-old daughter’s second-story bedroom window […]